“Too Busy to be Nice”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Me and my husband come to this property often since we are a IHG priority members .. had a few problems with our room but the front desk you need to retrain your entire front desk staff. I dealt with three separate individuals all poorer than the next, last weekend ., out guest service representative did make sure to be on her phone and chew gum while we checked in, her name was Kinga, she looked way to busy to make any nice gestures to us while we were waiting to be checked in... Irresponsible very rude and I would like to get an email response from a manager it was such a awkward experience since some rude comments were said to me and my husband way inappropriate that we packed out bags and check out to a different hotel. one word: harassment,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank samantha b
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear samanthab,

We apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for further review. Please rest assured your response is appreciated. If your schedule permits, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again!

Malcolm Moore
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I spent 1 night at the Intercontinental over 4th of July weekend to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary and couldn't have been happier! At Check-in we were greeted by a very friendly young woman, and we upgraded to a VERY SPACIOUS room in the Historic Tower. The room was modern and clean, and the location can't be beat! First off, there is a Starbucks off the lobby to grab a quick coffee any time of day. It is also right in the heart of Magnificent Mile shopping. We also walked to Grant Park and the Navy Pier from the Hotel. Although we only stayed one night, we had several encounters with staff within the hotel and each and every employee treated us with exceptional service. After dinner I called down to housekeeping to see if we could remove items that could be purchased out of the fridge in order to store the little box of leftovers we had. Instead, within minutes, they actually brought us a separate fridge to store it in. We were in a hurry to walk down to see the Fireworks at Navy Pier so it was great how quick the service was! And I also want to send out a SPECIAL THANKS to Kevin in Security for going ABOVE and BEYOND to find our Ipad that we had left in our room. Words really can't express how THANKFUL we are that you took the time to find it for us :))). To sum it up, I believe service is what drives a GREAT Hotel, so if you are looking for EXCELLENT customer service, definitely expect it here :))

Room Tip: Spacious Room in the Historic Tower!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived by train to Chicago early on a Saturday morning and arrived at the hotel a little after 10 .a.m. We were greeted with smiles by a very friendly staff. We knew we were early and had only intended to check our bags before we hit the city. We were checked in and were asked if they could call us when our room was ready. We spent the day roaming the sites and received a phone call about 3:30 p.m. that our room was ready. We returned to the front desk and were given keys to Room 2161, a junior suite. We are Ambassador Club members so we expected an upgrade, but this room was really very nice with a separate living room area and two full bathrooms. The bed is super comfortable. The mini-bar cabinet appeared a bit dirty, but otherwise the room appeared very clean. The hotel is in a great location and a short walk from Navy Pier. if you don't feel like walking, it seemed like everything was a $10.00 or less cab ride away. The concierge was super helpful and eager to help. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at InterContinental Chicago this weekend. We were welcomed by such attentive doorman as we arrived and helped us with luggages. He ensured my kids were safe on Michigan Avenue while I took my belongings from my car. Front Desk clerk, Keon, was very friendly and professional. Throughout our stay, he always helped us whenever we had questions. Our room was fantastic! My daughters have asthma, and sometime checking in to the hotel is bit scary not knowing whether the hotel room is clean or dusty. From bedroom to the bathroom, EVERYTHING was super clean. When I called operator, the phone call was always answered, "Mrs. ... How can I help you?" Felt really important and was treated so kindly. We also enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel very much. My youngest daughter has severe food allergy to many many food yet the waiter was so accommodating and he went above and beyond to ensure her safety. I can't thank enough for his kind behavior and I only regret that I didn't catch his name. Also, Bob at Concierge gave us many tips about dining option and also gave me great running route in the the area. Everyone I had a chance to speak with was kind and professional. And the Pool was beautiful and architectural. Feels like you are in the museum..... Great Fitness Center. Fully Equipped with weights, and machines. My kids are well travelers and have been to Disney Cruise, 5 star hotels in Japan, Europe and many other hotels in the US. Yet, this hotel was number 1 in our mind. I am already worried about our next trip elsewhere that we have already booked will not be anything like what we were offered at InterContinental. So thank you, InterContinental and looking forward to the next visit again soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Suzuka F
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Seems almost everything booked but found a small but lovely room here in heart of the Magnificent Mile and close to the Goodman plus shopping. My daughter and I met for this lovely weekend. The room was clean, modern, and comfortable beds...yes! The doorman, Clive, was such a friendly and helpful person. A Smiling face, a helping hand and pleasant conversation can help make a good day better. Clive was that...I needed a helping hand to get out of the taxi and he automatically knew to "offer his hand" if I promised to give it back. I would stay here again without a doubt. Breakfast ordered up was very prompt and delicious. Try their decaf coffee, it is really delicious. Looking forward to next time there. Did I mention the smiling and friendly staff. You'll love it here.

Room Tip: Be prepared to be very chilly. The AC was very strong and the room a bit too cold.However, there are...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is our 'go to' hotel when visiting Chicago to take in the sights. Located on Michigan Avenue just North of the Chicago a River, this location makes an easy walk to anyplace you want to go and a central location for catching a cab to head to north or south locations. The rooms are well decorated with a comfortable sofa and the bed is completely amazing!......the prices are very affordable for the location.

Room Tip: Michigan Avenue facing the south may allow a good view of the Wrigley Building clock and Chicago Riv...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice and friendly hotel. Parking area not real easy to find and expensive (like everywhere downtown). Rooms are a little small, like most in downtown though. Great bed. Very easy to get around. You are able to walk to many attractions or short cab rides.

Room Tip: high floors have great views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business