“Great place to stay in the city”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A friend and I went to Chicago for fun and stayed here. We are 21, so we were expecting to receive less-than-their-best service. Our room was in the newer tower, high up, where the rooms are smaller. We were expecting to have a "view" of another building or a brick wall or something, but actually we could look around and see the street and other buildings. While it wasn't a "nice" view per say, it was better than expected. The room was not too cramped, and they even had a little sofa. They had an iPod docking station, which I'm sure our neighbors hated. Complimentary bathrobes and slippers, and they only had one bathrobe in the room at first, which they promptly brought up another. Service as far as the hotel was excellent. Starbucks always had a horribly long line so we did not take advantage of that. On check-out, the woman did not even ask us how our stay was, which was irritating as it is such an expensive hotel. Don't touch anything in the mini-fridge because it's costly! I was impressed that they allow you to keep your car there for a couple hours after check-out, and they will hold your bags as well. I would love to stay here again if I am ever in the city!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We bought a flight+hotel combo from priceline during Independent weekend. Our flight got cancelled so we asked if the first night's money could be refund and they said no. That's fine. We bought some fruits and milk so we took some drinks out and put ours into the fridge in the room. The next day my credit card was charged $70+ so I went to the front desk and they said it's okay and they just held this money as soon as we check out they will cancel it. So we did not take ours out and when we checked out my card was charged for $250. They said it's the hold for 2 days and it's gonna be 3-5 days to see the changes on credit card. After a week, I suddenly found that the credit card status had been changed from pending to charged. I was so angry and I called them. They said the record showed that we were not charged this amount of money and they believed it was a mistake and we should wait another 3-5 days. Another week past, nothing changed so I called again. They said they have not approved that refund for some reason but now it's all set we only need to wait another 3-5 days ! Till today, the money is still gone and we are still under waiting... The worst hotel experience I ever had. I strongly recommend you that do not stay in this hotel for your own sake !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haven L
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Haven L,

We apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for further review. Please rest assured your response is appreciated. If your schedule permits, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again!

Guest Services

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I tagged along while my husband traveled here for business. This hotel is older, however we stayed in the newly renovated wing. I can't complain about the hotel at all. The rooms are smaller but there is so much to do you won't be in the room long anyway. You can catch a architectural boat tour if you go out the front door of the hotel and walk left. If you walk across the street and go under the overpass there are many nice restaurants on and near E Grand. For instance I had the best sushi at Oysy Sushi, very tasty. We did a lot of walking while we here. Great centered location. Don't forget to try Chicago style pizza while in town. Chicago is a great city we were only here for three days. This was not enough time to explore all the wonders of this city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The Intercontinental is a very luxurious hotel. The decor is contemporary are and the beds are very comfortable . We had a room in the modern tower and were very pleased. The House keeping staff were very prompt and attentive. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am an American living in London. I have not travelled for business in the US so I hope this is not what most higher standard hotels are like.

Its first impressions that matter most and mine were not good:

Check In was done by a man sitting down the entire time. He's wasn't particularly rude, but not welcoming either. The door to my room was badly scratched and used room service trays and a bag of used cardboard boxes were left outside doors all night. Nothing was collected overnight, so the hallway smelled the next morning. The room had no dresser for clothes - there was a closet and nightstand with one drawer but nothing else. When I walked into the bathroom there were tag from TJ Max on the floor. There are only two elevators to my floor and at one point I had to wait 10 minutes to get downstairs. The shower handle was loose at best and was never overly warm. On a security note, there is no card access to the floors - no one bothers at the front door and there is a side door, so anyone off the street could walk in. When I asked about the gym I was told "15" ($15), nothing else. The interactive menu on my TV did not work either. I was never offered a news paper although several rooms seemed to get them. The hotel is worn and tired and could use a brightening up. I regret now that I did not complain, but I was there on business, so only used the room at night.

Great location and a good gym with a pool - that's about it.

I WON'T be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Will103

Dear Will103,

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We got a room at this hotel on priceline with a bid... always wanted to stay here because of the location. Excellent location, just north of the river on the Magnificent Mile - close to everything! Checkin was very quick and we got a room on the 17th floor. It was a very quiet room and we slept thru the entire nite without any noise from the city, which we normally get at every hotel we stay at. Very comfortable bed and nice room. Would stay again! Very loud in the lobby with many people due to a wedding when we arrived and the restaurant and bar and Starbucks being right off the lobby, but once we went upstairs it was very quiet.

Room Tip: Noise level in the lobby was loud when we arrived - many people hanging out in the lobby. We stayed...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We were here for a business meeting. They must have overbooked because our meeting rooms were hotel suites and we were told we had to wait for the guests to check out so we could get in the rooms.

Restrooms on every other floor I thought that was strange if you have meeting rooms on floors you should have restrooms. Women on odd men on even

The bedrooms were cramped. I had a double bed room and there was no additional room the bathroom was average size.

You are right downtown so street noise is very loud. You could hear the tvs in the room next to you as well

There is a full service Starbucks attached to the hotel

Plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance

Stayed: July 2014