“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at this property for two nights with our family (2 adults, 2 small children). Our room was not ready at 2 pm, but was promised for 3. We left our bags with the bellman and valet parked our car ($$$$$$!!!!!). We were told that they would call us as soon as our room was ready, but we never received a call! Luckily, by the time we returned it was ready.
This property is in a great location on Michigan Ave- a few blocks from Navy Pier and the river. Not much of a view from our room. The room was clean and comfortable, if a bit small. The hotel was very busy- looked to be 2 or 3 weddings going on the day we arrived.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Forgot one of my favorite shirt in the closet during my stay there. Called the hotel the next day, but my shirt had mysteriously disappeared. Not even an apology offered. Will not stay at this hotel, and will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 261HTD
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear 261HTD,

We apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for further review. Please rest assured your response is appreciated. If your schedule permits, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again!

Malcolm Moore
Guest Services Manager
Whitefish, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel for a business meeting. This is a great location on Michigan Ave, close to shopping, restaurants and businesses. My room was are well appointed and reasonable in size. Everything was clean and in good shape. I got caught in an elevator crunch right at 5 when a big meeting adjourned, so it woul have been nice to have a few more elevators. When I first arrived, I had to go back down to the front desk twice because I couldn't get my key to work. While the staff was very helpful, this was a big frustration at the end of a long day of travel. I probably should have asked for an upgrade because of the hassle. At other high end hotels, I wouldn't have need to ask, they would have offered me something for the trouble.

Room Tip: Higher floors were quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear cosi cosi,

Malcolm Moore
Guest Services Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked this hotel for a weekend in the Windy City. The hotel is a quite impressive building in the heart of the downtown of Chicago. The lobby and rooms were extremely nice and well maintained. The staff were helpful and courteous and answered any questions that we had about getting around Chicago. The main advantage about this hotel is the location. Walking distance to many of the landmarks in the city and close enough to walk to the subway. The only downside is that there is no Wifi in the rooms and we were forced to go to the lobby and use Starbucks internet connection.
If you want a downtown central location in a nice upscale hotel this is a great choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed four nights at the InterContinental while on vacation, and was very satisfied with the hotel. I arrived early (around 1pm) and my room wasn't ready yet, but they offered to switch me to a handicapped-accessible room that was ready, and that was fine with me. If you want to drop off your luggage early, and come back later in the day to check in, they'll do that free of charge.

The room wasn't as spectacular as the lobby, but it was attractive, a decent size, in excellent condition and very clean. I'd say the bed was about average in comfort, nothing special, but okay. It was very quiet. The view wasn't much, but that didn't concern me. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, and other dining options within a few blocks walk.

The price was quite reasonable for the location, and the location was fantastic. Taxis out front, bus stops down the block, and a few blocks walk to the riverboats, double-decker bus stop, and Driehaus Museum. It was well worth paying a bit more to stay downtown and not have to waste riding the el train into the city each day.

They do clearly inform you if you remove anything from the stocked mini-fridge for more than X number of minutes you will be charged for it. The list of (exorbitant) prices is right there too. Don't bother unless you're dying of thirst. There is a nice little store in the lobby to buy drinks, snacks, toiletries and such.

On the downside there was no mini-fridge or microwave for anything I might bring back to the room. The charge for Wi-Fi was obscene, around $16 a day. (Geez, it was free at the Econo Lodge.) I kept the laptop packed up and made do with my iPhone.

I arrived in Chicago by Amtrak, so I didn't need to park a car. Parking is hugely expensive, but that's true at every downtown Chicago hotel. If I had a car I probably would have stayed further out and rode the el.

Overall, a great stay, and I recommend the InterContinental Chicago Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The InterContinental on Michigan Avenue right in the heart of all of Chicago's attractions, restaurants and shopping. It is just a few blocks from Lake Shore Drive, a terrific route for an early more run or walk.

They offer reasonable rates for clean, comfortable rooms. Like many of the older downtown Chicago hotels, the rooms are a little on the small side. One tip, check out the Camelot themed meeting rooms in the Historic Tower. They are a throw back to a more opulent era with a unique artwork and style.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MDFreqTvlr
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have continued to come back to Intercontinental, Mich Ave, Chicago, in large part due to the help provided by Margaret Minosa-Ryan when I was there on business, and again when recently I returned she was just as helpful. Everything ran smoothly. Its a lovely hotel with great location and staff.

Room Tip: Old part of hotel great.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business