“Good Historic Property on Michigan Avenue”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #75 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good Historic Property on Michigan Avenue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

I have stayed at the Intercontinental twice for weekend stays in the last 6 months, so I clearly like the hotel. In each case, though, I got a pretty good rate that made it attractive to me.

Nice location on Michigan Avenue near the river, Wrigley Building, across from Nordstrom.

Very interesting historical property with cool lobby---always buzzing with activity. Good bar. Had brunch at hotel once and thought it was just OK. Amazing indoor pool.

Rooms are good, not great. I have only stayed in the newer wing. They are mostly updated, but still have a few 60's era remnants, like metal doors in bathrooms.

All in all, its a very solid choice in Chicago, and should provide a very pleasant stay, but its probably not my top choice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iowaguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

We had problems from the get-go that took hours to resolve. The lobby was loud and crowded. The front desk was understaffed. Our first room (in the Historic Tower) was tiny, with no view (except the air shaft) and a dead air conditioner. When we asked to be moved to another room, they insisted on "sending a technician" first. We sat around in the 80 degree heat, with no ventilation and no ability to open the windows, for half an hour until he arrived. The repairman could not fix the air conditioner, and after another half hour of tinkering said he was going out to fetch a new motor. I then threw a small fit and demanded to be moved to another room where I could unpack and take a shower. The technician then called the front desk. Another half hour wait. A bellman finally arrived with keys to another room on the 27th floor, a much bigger, better, quieter room with a view--and working air conditioning. (One wonders why they didn't put us in this room in the first place, since it was sitting there empty and ready to go, instead of in a terrible room with no air conditioning? I truly do not get it.) However, the new room was set up for one guest only with one luggage rack, one set of bath shoes (though there were two robes) and just a few hangers in the closet. There was only one bedside table and one lamp, which meant only one person could have a beverage or read in bed--the other person had to sit in a chair, next to a floor lamp (but the floor lamp was broken). After more calls and more waiting around, a second pair of shoes, more hangers, and a second luggage rack arrived (important, because there were no dressers in which to unpack the items you normally put in drawers; inexplicable design choice, since there was plenty of space for dressers). Getting the lamp fixed took a visit from yet another technician, who jiggled the plug, plugged the lamp into another socket, took away the light bulb, came back with the wrong bulb, left to fetch another bulb, came back, changed the bulb, decided that the lamp itself was broken, took away the lamp, and finally returned with a new, working lamp (while we were at lunch).

Lunch at Zest, on the second floor, was a pleasant surprise, far better than most hotel restaurants. The food was outstanding (with plenty of healthy, non-meat options), the staff was swift and professional, the space was quiet and lovely. We liked this restaurant so much we ended up having two lunches and three breakfasts there, sitting by the window, looking out over Michigan Avenue. Highly recommended! The wine bar on the ground floor was also nice, with friendly knowledgeable servers.

Another excellent amenity, the historic swimming pool, renovated but with all its original features left intact, definitely should not be missed.

The gym (on two levels, adjacent to the pool) is small and cramped. There are plenty of free weights, but only one weight bench. There are only six sets of what I would call women's weights (5s, 10s, and 15s) and twelve sets of 20+ pounders. Yes, I know some women can lift heavy weights with no problem, but still. I was fine with the 10s and 15s, but a couple of sets of 8s and 12s would have been appreciated by most women (and some men, too!). Continuing the male-oriented theme, there was no music in the gym, just TVs blaring ESPN and erectile-dysfunction commercials (even at 6 a.m., when the gym was empty) though when I went down to the desk and asked for the remote, the clerk handed it over. I got a quiet hour for my workout by blipping off all the TVs--and hiding the remote under my towel.

To summarize: I liked the eclectic, zany historic details of the building--there are crazy, ornate faux-Oriental friezes everywhere, amazing tile mosaics, inscriptions in made-up languages, even a dirigible docking station on the roof (never used, due to the Hindenburg disaster). If you are a serious swimmer, you should stay here for the swimming pool alone--it's that great. The staff tried hard to resolve all our problems--but why were there so many problems in the first place? I got the feeling that, in both the original renovation and the upkeep of this hotel, InterContinental management was cheaping out. For example, even though our bathroom was quite large and spacious, the tub was tiny. When you have plenty of room to do so, why not install a longer, wider, deeper tub (particularly given the size of contemporary American bodies) that people will really use and enjoy? And, even though the swimming pool is such an outstanding amenity, one that people will go out of their way to use, there was no place to hang wet bathing suits. A little retractable clothesline in the shower or over the bathtub would have been a thoughtful touch.

It would be interesting to see a really first-rate organization, like the Four Seasons, get hold of this jewel of a property and turn it into a brilliant, world-class hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

The locatiom was great, central to everything. We stayed in the historic tower which was newly redone. The rooms were nice, clean and the view was beautiful. We were on 11th floor though and heard sirens all night!! I have never heard so many sirens in my life than in Chicago. We also had our own thermostat in our room so it was nice and cold.

Beverly Hills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I stay in Chicago on business all the time. I just stayed at the Intercontinental in the Historic Wing. The room was very large, especially for a hotel room in the middle of a large city like Chicago. I went to several rooms because I was hoping to get a nice view. None of the available rooms had any views worth mentioning. All the rooms that they showed me looked at the builidngs directly across the street on Michagan Ave.

They did show me one room that had a slight side view of the river but the windows were very low. I'm guessing that when they remodeled the hotel that they weren't allowed to change the exterior. Therefore to put in a room where they did, they were forced to keep the low windows. You actually had to bend over to look out at the river. Very strange!

In any event, I ended up taking one of the large rooms without a view on Michagan Ave.

The rooms (although they said that they were newly remodeled) were horribly and sparsely decorated. The furniture did not look new and was not at all attractive. It was almost a motel quality room. I also looked at rooms in the newer tower and their decoration was even worse, if possible!!!

They did have a flat screen TV that was probably about 32" and was way out of proportion for the room. Considering the size of the room they should have had at least a 55" TV. It was hard to see because it was so far from the bed and I have great eyesight.

The pro's were that the room was very quiet and the beds were comfortable. I did not hear neighbors which is a pet peeve!

It has a great location.

If you want a great room, great service and views then I would highly recommend the Sofitel over this hotel. It was just a very generic type of room, nothing special.

1 Thank Tahoskibum
travelguy20
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

My wife and I have stayed here before and always been pleased with the location and the condition of the hotel. On this partiular trip I left my cell phone charger in the room. While it was a bit of a confusing situation to clarify its whereabouts I was impressed that after the manager told me they had located it and then lost it, they purchased me a new one and sent it to me overnight shipping. Few hotels would have bothered to do this. We will be back!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelguy20
las vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Perfect location for my needs. While I attended a convention across the street, my wife was enjoying the shopping mecca along the Magnificent Mile. The array of restaurants nearby was enormous, and were fun to explore.
Check it and check out were painless and swift. The room service was friendly and the amenities adequate.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank rxhappiness
Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

I'm a longtime Intercontinental club member and generally have good success with all of their brands. This IC is one of their best in the system. While the "historic" tower is old, it's clean, meticulously maintained, and comfortable unlike other old hotels in the Chicago Loop. I note that some complaints here are about small rooms in the newer tower. This is the case in all big cities - they should try Tokyo or Paris to see a REAL small, five star room!

Ditched the car in the burbs and relied totally on the CTA. Inner city travel in Chicago is terrific - get a prepaid card and go nuts.

Two drawbacks to the hotel -- frequent sirens at night, also a "big city" thing. We were on the 19th floor and could hear them, but they didn't bother us. And the internet service, the usual grossly expensive IC hotel charge, and subsequent slow service. Wish Intercontinental would stop using the internet to gouge travelers!

Staff at the hotel uber-courteous, friendly, and knowledgeable about Chicago, both the value trips and the ripoffs.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple