“sleep rough instead!!!”

Ranked #159 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
paddy by the sea
“sleep rough instead!!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This inn is without doubt one of the worst places i have ever stayed in.... Not only is it dirty an unkempt but it is the place to stay if your rowdy noisy and a bit of a tosser with drink on you... the night porter sleeps in a chair in the lobby (classy), And the stairs look like they are a garbage shoot.. all in all the rooms are dirty, the staff are lacklustre, and were it not for the location it would have closed a long time ago. to save money, sleep rough instead

Room Tip: for a truely good room check in somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luperduper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Northern Va
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was a great Location for visiting down town Chicago. The room I stayed in was a King suite and had plenty of room. You can't beat Free wi fi as most others places charge for it.
I love that the hotel was about a block from Michigan Ave and only a few from the Lake so no matter what you chose to do it was centrally located.
Garretts popcorn is also on the same block so the smell of Popcorn is awesome :)
The staff was very helpfull and Housekeeping did a very good job everyday
A bonus was the floors in the bath off the bedroom had what seemed liked heated floors which was great after all the walking. I like the vessel sinks in the Bathroom- for a small bath it was a great use of space. This room had two baths- which is great for sharing.
I would reccomend staying here for any one trying to visit the great town of Chicago without spending a fortune.

Room Tip: The suite is nice if you need more space-
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
I want to thank you for your review. I am very glad that you had a great stay with us.

Your feedback and comments are important to me. At Red Roof Inn we listen to our guests. We understand that it is very important when traveling today to stay in touch with family, friends, and coworkers. We are happy to provide our guests a secure WiFi connection at no charge. We strive to offer our guests the best value when making their lodging decisions and free WiFi is part of that.

I also want to thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Chicago.

washington
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights April 12-15. We mainly needed a room just to sleep in as we were sightseeing all day. The rooms were small but the staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. If you are loking for a place just to sleep I would recommend this place as we would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
I appreciate you taking your valuable time to post a review about your stay.

We are located in the heart of Chicago and the staff is here to ensure you have a pleasant stay. The Red Roof Inn is located in a downtown historic building constructed in the 1920s. Our rooms are smaller when compared to much newer hotels, but we offer a great value for those traveling on a budget. You cannot find a better location. Hopefully, you are here to enjoy our great city and we are close to many of the most popular attractions, as well as numerous restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisines.

Our friendly staff and I look forward to your return and the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We went to this hotel in a group of 22. We had to wait 20 mins to get the keys to go up because they weren't ready for us. Then we all go in to go to the 11, 12, or 14th floors but waited 20 mins because the hotel staff was using both elevators. Instead of them using only one. We then walked into the smallest room ever.
On the 2nd day of the 4 days the a/c stopped working. I called and she said it was the battery in the wall unit and it would be fixed. We came back about 2 that afternoon and I called down and told them it is displaying numbers but the unit will nit work. We left and came back about 8. It wasn't working. I called down and the woman at the desk said that there was no one to fix it. So I just waited on the phone and she didn't suggest anything to do, so I asked her "well what are you going to do for me". She said that she would call me back. 30 mins later (when I didn't hear from her) I called back down and she tried to ignore me. So I let it ring about 30 times, the mgr gets on the phone. I asked for at least a fan. She does bring it in about 10 mins. I was hot all night. The next morning I went down and asked the lady at the desk. I wanted to make sure my room was on a list to get the a/c fixed. It wasnt, so I added it. It was fixed by the time we got back hours later.
We also had to get our own wash clothes because I guess u need towels and hand towels but no wash clothes. They didn't pick up the garbage from the floor area but 1 day of the 4. There were hairs in the tub, on the towels, and in the sink.
The good thing about this hotel is the location. It was located near Michigan avenue, a lot of shopping and dinning.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I apologize that you and members of your group experienced some problems during your stay.

From your comments, we certainly did not give you the service and attention to your problems you deserved as a valued guest. It is our responsibility to ensure that all of the equipment in your room is in good working order. I am very sorry we failed to meet your expectations.

I will share your comments with the entire staff and take the steps needed to improve our service and quality. I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Heidi Cordes

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Edgewood,NM
Reviewed 21 April 2012

It looked like there were recent improvements done to a place that has a long history in Chicago. Everything that I needed was there and the staff was very hardworking. It is located downtown near alot of good places for shopping and dining.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review. The Red Roof Inn is located in an historic building right off Michigan Avenue and definitely has the charm of an older building, as well as being a part of the long and colorful Chicago history.

The recent improvements certainly have had a positive impact on our guests. It is nice to hear they are noticed and appreciated. We do work hard to satisfy our guests and feedback such as yours is very important to us. We are here to serve you and ensure you enjoy your stay.

Please think of us again the next time your travels take you to Chicago.

Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed with the kids for 3 nights. Hotel is half block from Michigan avenue @ ONtario street, I have to confess that location made me choose this hotel. This is an old building with extra small rooms (No problem here). The problems were mainly in the bathroom. Toilets should be the least ecological in the world, everytime somebody washed its hands, we had to suffer all the waste since it was soooo clogged. And I stayed for 3 NIGHTS!!! and I had no water pressure in the shower so, shower time was a real nightmare. I reported it at least 7 times and it was until our las t night that someone came to look at it and didnt fix it. Room was cleaned only half way.
Believe me, pay a bit more or at stay a bit outside the city this hotel is a BAD idea

Room Tip: No room is good
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank caballoloco
I sincerely apologize that your stay was not a pleasant one. I understand your dissatisfaction since you and your family had issues with the toilet in your room. It was our responsibility to ensure the issue was resolved the first time you reported it. I will share your comments with our front desk and maintenance departments in order to take the necessary measures to ensure this does not happen again.

We do have a great location and within easy walking distance to many of the most popular attractions. I do hope that you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to show you your recent stay was an exception and to serve you better.

Chicago
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Could'nt make it home one night, so we ended up staying here. Its right downtown so we were able to still go out and eat dinner. Freidnly staff and would come stay again if we had to.

Room Tip: really close to downtown!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback.

The Red Roof Inn Magnificent Mile has one of the best locations in the city. We are located right in the heart of downtown Chicago, less than a block off of Michigan Avenue without paying the Michigan Avenue address prices.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay and I look forward to your return. Our friendly staff will be waiting and ready to serve you again.