“Best value for the location in town at time of travel.”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #158 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best value for the location in town at time of travel.”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wanted a hotel as close to downtown Chicago as possible so could do as much walking as possible, and stick to using the L as much as possible if need be. Nothing else came close, in terms of price, in the immediate area.
The room itself was decent enough and about the size you would expect a hotel room to be in a downtown major metropolitan area.
Obviously outside the control of the hotel itself, but the only downside experienced during my trip was that the block the main entrance faced, was the only street that seemed to have everything out of business. I can't remember seeing really any others during any of our walks around the surrounding area, so it did stand out. Minor nitpick, but in case of people travelling without a vehicle, having a place to eat that close by would be great in case of bad weather.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
I appreciate you taking your valuable time to post a review. The Chicago downtown Red Roof Inn will always be a great value for our guests. Our location is one of the best in the city and as you stated, we are within easy walking distance of most of the major attractions, as well as very affordable public transportation.

The two adjacent buildings were closed for business because they currently being demolished. New construction will start very soon. Not only are there several restaurants within a block or two, we also have our own Italian restaurant, Coco Pazzo, right in the hotel and it s open for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is served at other restaurants which are just a short distance away from the hotel.

I look forward to your return and the opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you to Chicago.

Heidi Cordes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Upon checking in after living the hospital here in Chicago from St Joe's. I told the front desk may I have a quite room as I just had an operation and that I would be here for 5 days. Sure no problem they said. There was no questioning why I was there as I had a bandage on my face and head. They put me two doors from the ice machine that would run all night and I would wake you up. The bed was hard as a rock and they said they where just replaced so how could that be. The internet was down for two days and they said this was out of there control. They hall ways where dirty and the who hotel had an old smell to it. I even had one of the clean staff scream at me when she seen me in my bandage like I was some kind of monster. Upon check out the lady at front desk said it is true that room 911 in which you stayed is very noisy and the bed is hard. If person to tell the truth about the room and now I have to my CC company fight for 10 charge that they said was refunded but was not. They person that spoke with on phone went as far as saying your lying with out saying it. I told her fine I will turn it over to my CC as false charge. I will not stay at this hotel again nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank EdPo2010
Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize your stay was not a pleasant one. I am very disappointed you were not given the service you deserved as our guest. From your comments I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction. I can assure you I will take the necessary measures to ensure this does not happen again in the future. There is absolutely no excuse for any team member to be rude or discourteous to you. It is our goal to exceed your expectations and it is apparent we failed in to accomplish this during your stay. I truly am sorry.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your recent surgery and a very healthy 2014.

Heidi Cordes

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Roseville, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 5 December 2013

First off, if you are looking for a modern hotel to stay at, this is not your place. Move across the street to the Hilton at $150 a night. I paid about $65 a night and it was well worth it.

The hotel is about 100 years old. So hallways are narrow, rooms are small, and the elevators only fit about 5 people. But the rooms were clean, beds were in good condition, and the heat worked fine. The bathroom shower constantly leaked a steady stream which was not a problem. We just closed the door and didn't hear a thing.

Staff was great. Friendly. Helpful. The regional manager was also there checking the place out and lectured an employee for not having a name tag on her uniform. So the place has standards and they are being checked on.

The place was 100% booked and that doesn't surprise me due to the price. Even so, it wasn't crowded. No problem with the elevators. Staff also offered to keep our luggage in a locked room after checkout if we had a late flight.

I will be checking this place out again when I am in Chicago. Great location just south of the water tower and about 4 blocks off the Chicago and State Red Line stop.

The only negative, and this isn't the hotel's fault, is that other than the 24 hr McDonalds on State and Chicago, none of the other quick food places are open past 7pm because they are located in office building lobbies. But the TGI Fridays is near by and you always have 7-11. Would have been nice to stop at Jimmy Johns for a late night snack.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PoliticalTraveler
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate you letting others know about your stay. I apologize for the issue with your shower. This should have been reported and addressed prior to your arrival.

The Red Roof Inn does have a great location and even though there are limited fast food restaurants available after 7pm, there are plenty of other restaurants in the area ready to serve you late into the evening, including our own Italian restaurant, Coco Pazzo. There are also several fast food businesses that will deliver to the hotel.

We offer our guests a great value and will continue to do so. Our goal is to deliver five star service to our guests, as well as a five star location, and I am glad you appreciated our efforts.

I look forward to your return and the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just stay there for 2 nights, and I have to say I'll will never come back again.
Positive point (there is only one: the situation in downtown, and staff. .
Price is very expensive compared to the quality.and the service
Small room, not refurbished for may be 20 years, and not cleaned for 2 or 3 days.
Brown drips in the bathroom's wall, body hairs on on the floor, and something sticky on the floor...
Washbasin was broken, and not even a glas for toothbrush
Heater making noise like an helicopter, even when shudown (but no heater in the bathroom) - don't expect to sleep..
No breakfast in the hotel, you have to go the the next Dunkin Donut....
The so called "business center" is just a poor PC in the middle of the reception desk, no seat, no privacy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Morti L
Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize your stay was not a pleasant one. We obviously failed to meet your expectations. There is no excuse for your room’s lack of cleanliness and maintenance. I will share your comments with the entire staff. It is certainly our policy to clean every room each day. I can assure you I will take the necessary steps to ensure these issues do not happen again in the future.

The Red Roof inn received nearly a $1,000,000 renovation last year that included new flooring in most of our rooms. New pillow top mattresses and box springs, new linens and bedspreads, new drapes, flat screen TVs, and new wall coverings are in all of our rooms. In addition, we updated our lobby and all of the hallways with new flooring and wall coverings.

Our rates vary as they do with every hotel. They change depending on the season, day of the week, and what is happening in the city. We consistently price ourselves lower than the competition to remain a good value for those people traveling on a budget and who want a five star location at a two star price.

Pontiac, Illinois
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We came from out of town for concert..It was my self and teenagers;) Hotel was great and staff was friendly and made sure we had everything we would need.would stay there again next time come to Chicago..

• Stayed November 2013
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell people about your stay. I am glad you had a pleasant stay. The entire staff is here to ensure all of your needs are met while you are our guests. We all look forward to your return.

London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

So you are greeted with super happy staff. They seem to be old school, as in been working the industry a long while, very knowledgeable about the area and happy to give recommendations on where to eat. The hotel itself is located of the main shopping road Michigan Avenue

So what's the problem with this place? Well the building is old, Very old| The hotel is crying for a lick of paint and possible new carpet. Basically the hotel is run down, but it's charging similar prices as the top end hotels near it and with a Marriott Courtyard hotel directly opposite you would feel a little short changed. You are paying 4-5 star prices for a motel grade hotel. But it’s the friendly staff that make this place, nothing else !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. I agree that our staff is very happy to greet our guests as they come and go. They are certainly knowledgeable about the area restaurants, city attractions and tours, public transportation, and what is happening in the city.

I regret you did not find us to be a good value. The Red Roof Inn is an economy hotel and we will never compare to a Marriott Courtyard when it comes to amenities, but then our guests are not paying for them either. We are located in a charming building constructed nearly a century ago. So, yes, our building is old in an charming and historic way.

I would have to disagree with you that we are charging 4 and 5 star prices, but I certainly respect your opinion. Our rates do vary, as they do at any hotel, but we price ourselves considerably lower than the Marriott and every other hotel in the Gold Coast. Our guests are looking for a clean and affordable room that has a five star location and five star service without paying the five star price. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Henstedt-Ulzburg
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The positive thing is the location. This is right downtown and most you wan to see is ardound the corner. We pad 160 USD per night plus 44 USD for parking during a fair in town. This is way overpriced.

The rooms are ok, but not good. Internet was terrible exept the last day.

The staff at the front desk is nice and helpful.

There is ni breakfast offered, but there are many places close by.

Room Tip: High up -> less noise from the traffic.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I understand your point of view, but we are consistently the lowest priced hotel in downtown Chicago. Our rates do fluctuate depending on what is happening in the city and the time of year. This is true for all hotels. When the demand is high, our rates reflect that. If your travel dates are flexible, you can definitely pay less when there isn’t an event happening in the city. Our rates are as low as $49.99 during slower periods.

The Red Roof Inn has a five star location as you noted, but you will always pay a two star price. There is world class shopping on the Magnificent Mile less than a block away, as well as world class dining. If you are not in the mood for a fancy dinner or a relaxed dinner at our restaurant, Coco Pazzo, you can enjoy a slice of our famous Chicago style pizza within easy walking distance.

Parking in a big city is always a premium, but like our rates, our nightly parking fee is less than other hotels in the area. There are several self-park garages nearby for the same rate as we charge for our valet parking, but we offer unlimited in and out privileges, unlike the public garages. Our guests also have the advantage of your car being brought right to them at our entrance. They can load and unload without having to walk several blocks with their belongings.

I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.