“Best hotel ever!!!”

Ranked #96 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Best hotel ever!!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Beautiful decor... Friendly staff. We felt extremely welcomed and everything is relatively close by, food, lake, zoo. We got the "Superior King" and it was very roomy and the bed extremely comfy.. Not to forget the best pillows ever..lol!! Huge bathrooms the was an A+.. I recommend The Public Hotel Chicago... :-D and to think we only paid $1.00 thanks to their Facebook deals..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Esmeralda F
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
First of all, congratulations on having booked one of our $1 per night rooms. Please keep looking for the next exciting promotion. Second of all, thank you for your endorsement and for sharing your thoughts on tripadvisor.com. We love to hear that our efforts are recognized.

Peter Walterspiel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
indianapolis
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Have just returned from my second stay in 2 months at Public Chicago. Having lived in that neighborhood many years ago, it's always somewhat of a homecoming for me and I LOVE the beautiful Gold Coast and being just far away from all the shopping & hubbub a few blocks south. As most reviewers point out, the STAFF there is exceptional. Everyone from the front desk, to the bartenders and the adorable bell crew consistently go out of their way to provide you with assistance. I always take my bicycle as I love the bike/jogging trail that goes for miles along the lake. At most hotels, you wrestle your own bike all the way to your room and back every time you use it. Not here.....you pull up, hop off, and someone takes it to a room off the lobby until you need it next. REALLY nice service if you're a biker! I agree with the toilet paper comments .....pretty awful, but then again it IS just toilet paper! The bath products are just OK too.....I appreciate name brand products like Aveda, Fresh, etc. and am suspect of the quality of "hotel branded" products, but I generally bring my own stuff anyway, so would not want to pay an increase in room rates so that my toilet paper could be endorsed by a bear (Charmin) or my shampoo upgraded. I have not eaten at the Pump Room on either visit, just had drinks, but it is lovely and has enjoyed a long history of fine dining accolades. One word of caution: try not to forget anything. I realized as soon as I got home from my first visit that I had left my Blackberry charger plugged into the wall. I called and was told someone would check on it and call me back. That never happened, so I inquired about it on this visit, and was told it had not been found. Really?? It's just a plug... Anyway, that aside, I love this place. You can tell if you look closely in the rooms, that it's an old hotel with a new coat of paint on it, but it is hip, very comfortable and a pleasure to visit. Oh, regarding the noise factor... I have not heard people through the walls, but it DOES seem to attract the "party crowd" and on both stays, people in the hall were very loud (and slow!) getting to their rooms. On my previous visit, I called the desk and the situation was remedied immediately....so I appreciated their concern for the quieter quests and were apparently not afraid to approach the inconsiderate ones. Give PUBLIC a try...cool & comfy....I'm going again myself in a few weeks!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite small, I think, so always ask for the best complimentary upgrade availab...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank gohappy103
Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel following your most recent stay with stay. I am thrilled to hear that you like staying with us for all the right reasons and we all look forward to your next stay at PUBLIC Chicago.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Have read the reviews and most are pretty accurate.

Common spaces: Common spaces are amazing. Don't under estimate the feeling of being in a cool and laid back public space at a hotel. It impacts your stay. The library room, the computer area were so beautiful and cool.

Resto: The inhouse resto, the Pump Room is stunning and we had breakfast, lunch and drinks there - each top notch. We also had coffee and pastries in the LIbrary room which were excellent. Yes. It does get supper hopping on Fri/Sat night but we loved coming back to our hotel for a drink before bed.

Rooms: We stayed in a Loft King, which is one of the higher end rooms. The space was great. It felt new and clean. I liked the open airy feel - so different from a mainstream hotels. Bedding was so soft. Bed firm. Pillows excellent. Temperature easy to control. The bathroom was little tight - agree with other reviews, but it didn't bother us at all. What did bother us was the noise. You can hear people in the room beside you and we didn't appreciate being woken up at 6am by them. My husband is a heavy sleeper so he didn't notice. Having said that, I would 100% stay there again in spite of that. It wasn't a big deal and frankly have experienced it at many hotels. So don't let that stop you - just get some earplugs.

Service: We had great service from Christopher the concierge. He helped with a spa booking and dinner. We didn't like all his choices for dinner, but should have researched a bit more on our own and trusted our instincts.

Location: We loved being outside of the noise and chaos of the Mag Mile. Quieter hood. It was a bit of walk to get right downtown, but we liked that (work off the food). It's close to the water if you like to run, bike or wake.

Bikes: Careful with the Public bikes, they are first come first served. But there is a bike rental place about 15 walk away along the water.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. We were on the 11th floor and didn't hear a beep from the bar. We did...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you very much for your great review! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed two nights(7/12, 7/13) Greeted warmly by the staff outside that provided direction on where to check in. The lobby with white accents, linens, set a comfort of coolness, airness about the place. Prompt, efficient check-in. Room was available, which was nice, since I arrived early. Elevators were prompt. Room was done in white textures again, from the bed linens, to the drapes, very nice, very restful. Bed were comfortable and rooms appeared to be sound proof.
When i walked up a short flight of stairs, I knew this was going to be a very exciting place. The Pump Room, to your left as you walked in, was cool and classy. The lowlight really made the ambiance of settling in for a cocktail or two.
This hotel is in a GREAT location... 4 blocks south of some of the best shopping in the city along with a variety of excellent restaurants. 4 blocks to the West was Old Town. this area is definitely young and hip crowd. BTW, you are just 2 blocks from Lake Michigan where you can sunbath at either Oak St. Beach or North Ave Beach. To the North, you have Lincoln Park with a vast array of walking trails, and if you decide, you can even visit the zoo.
The service was great from the porters, front desk, and staff. The concierage, Chris, was very helpful with directions, and suggestions to eat.
Had a great time, great place.. will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review you wrote following your recent stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Busling Ian S hotel with great cocktails and magnicent food at the Pump Room. The rooms look a but worn for being so new... But super clean and comfortable. The public spaces are great for connecting, checking emails and relaxing. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Lucianaramsey
Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your recent stay with us. We are working hard on keeping PUBLIC in tip top shape and look forward to your next visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Nearly everything about this hotel is what I love about staying in hotels. Superb customer service (becky at the front desk, I'm talking about you), hip, but approachable vibe, fabulous bar area stocked with gorgeous, friendly, efficient servers, adorably dressed doormen, comfortable bed with divine sheets and great pillows.

Only two minor negatives kep this from being the perfect place. first, when did four star hotels start using airport grade toilet paper? A small thing, but I noticed and surely others have too. Second, the AC unit is under the window such that if you close the window to keep out light, you also close off the only available way for the cold air to get into the room. I've been in other hotels where they cut the fabric so the air flow was not impeded.

Other than those two small things I couldn't have been happier with the location or the decor or everything else regarding this great hotel! The fact that I got a great deal through an Internet travel site didn't hurt!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review, Becky in particular was thrilled to have been mentioned by name. Please let us know when the time is right for you to return so that we can address any particular needs you may have.

Washington DC
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the work week. The rooms are very modern. Clean white walls, modern accent pieces. Very comfortable bed, clean, up-to-date bathrooms, quiet stay. The one thing I would have liked is more outlets in the room. That's probably because I was traveling with lots of electronics that needed to be charged.

Our meeting space was on the top floor of the building. Very comfortable, great food and service.

Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lauren P
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you very much for the kind review of your recent stay with. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us along with the meeting space you were in and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.