“Quiet Upscale Neighborhood”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #101 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We just returned from a visit to Chicago and stayed at Public. We found it was in a great location and was a sophisticated hotel. The rooms were comfortable and trendy. The customer service was great. The hotel is very close to Michigan Avenue and in close proximity to Rush Street. The front desk agent recommended a great little cafe for breakfast that had a local/cafe feel that was great just a few blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and it's location close to many of Chicago's attractions and neighborhoods. We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Chicago

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed here last weekend. Great large room. Very comfortable. Little mishaps here and there like the toilet not working hotel wide, tv not working properly hotel wide, but not a big deal.
Walls were VERY thin, and heard a woman talking A LOT.

The ONE thing that was very annoying is when I called down to make a dinner reservation at the Pump, I was transferred to the reservation lady, and when I asked for a reservation, she said only 5.30 and 10.30 were available. Granted, it was Friday night, but I have never once stayed at a hotel where I was not granted a dinner reservation at the in house restaurant within in hour of my request. It was actually really annoying that she didn't even offer an apology or if she would let me know should a cancellation happen.

I have stayed at hotels like the Chateau Marmont, the Raleigh in Miami, Lake Palace in Udaipur, Belgraves in London, Greenwich Hotel in NYC, and I have never had a problem getting a reservation same day within 1 hour of my desired time......

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the review you wrote following your recent stay. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, but am sorry to hear that we weren't able to accommodate you in our Pump Room at the time you desired. The Pump Room has established a very loyal following by both hotel guests and locals alike, which often results in having the most desired time slots fully booked weeks in advance. Please allow us to try for a table with a little more advanced notice the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Great location in a nice tree lined neighborhood that is great for walking. We loved the simple, understated and sophisticated design of the lobby and the rooms. It felt pretty trendy but not snobby - the front desk people are very nice and not trying too hard (NOT that aloof, your-not-cool-enough-to-stay-here type)- the price is pretty reasonable given the location and you can always find deals. No, there is not coffee in the room but that was a positive for us- the room coffee is always crap and the chintzy plastic machines and set-up just clutter things up, which goes against the simple clean design. Go to the lobby for a great cup of coffee, the morning jaunt will do you good!

It is a classic old hotel with plenty of charm - sure the elevators are kind of slow during peak traffic, so just chill a little, slow down and enjoy life.

We look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for the great review and for getting our concept. We look forward to many more return visits.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I wrote a previous review on Trip Advisor about an item of mine that went missing at my stay at Public Hotel. Since then, the hotel has followed up and I thought it was only fair to update my review as well. Mary Beth was kind enough to call me the following day to apologize and make sure that my item was promptly replaced. It was a hugely generous offer and even though it was an unfortunate incident, I'm happy to say that the customer service at least, gets my vote of confidence.

** Previous Review **

If you're looking for a boutique feel at a fair price point, Public is a decent option, with a couple of caveats. In terms of hotel quality, I would compare it to The Standard hotels, stylish but sparse - and not one for light sleepers. The elevators, which are located near the Pump Room, are small and slow, so if you're looking for a quick retreat to your room on a busy Friday or weekend night, you'll be pressed for luck. The check-in process was pleasant, and the breakfast-to-go delivery, while expensive, was a nice way to start the day. Room service and housekeeping were just ok. I received the wrong order on one occasion and my tray wasn't cleared out the next morning - definitely not a deal-breaker, but it underlines the fact that this is not a luxury hotel.

My biggest criticism with the hotel is that, on my last night there, an electronic item from my room went "missing". After thoroughly checking my room and testing the door to see if it closed and locked properly, my boyfriend and I finally had to go downstairs and report the incident. The front desk lobby was initially attentive, taking a key scan of who had entered into the room and calling hotel security the next day to question the two staff members who had been in our room. The staff seemed genuinely understanding, however, next steps were vague and, as we both had to leave that day, the only thing I could do was file a police report and kiss my electronic item good-bye. Incidentally, the hotel did email after we wrote them a couple of times to say they would replace my item, which seemed like a fair and generous offer, but not surprisingly, there was no follow-up to that either.

While this may have just been a fluke incident, my personal experience with Public Chicago guarantees that I will never be staying there again. But then again, maybe I just encountered the one bad apple either staying or working at the hotel that particular day. Either way, if you do decide to book your stay there, be sure to lock your valuables in the safe. It's a good rule of thumb to follow anywhere you travel, really. Unfortunately, I just had to learn it the hard way.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet night of rest, ask for a corner room on a higher floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for updating your review and for accepting our apologies.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

From the days of Ambassador East and the Pump Room, to the new Public and very good restaurant, one thing is clear--it is a fine hotel in a great location.

I had a beautiful suite, good looking and very comfortable. The bathrooms are updated but vintage size, not a Peninsula but ok. The lobby is wonderful, the lounge for coffee and meetings, the computer area, the bar, the excitement, they did it right. Room service is novel, and good.

Bottom line: if I want absolute luxury and the price tag, I will go to another of Chicago's great hotels, and if I want to save a few hundred a night, enjoy a good neighborhood and have fun and get a good night's sleep, I will go back to the Public.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thank you! Your review captured what PUBLIC Chicago is all about. Thank you for taking the time to write it and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Won't book here again. Disappointed some business folks who were staying for the first time. A hotel that doesn't offer coffee in the room is no longer understanding their customer. Hope this is reconsidered because this is a number 1 priority for our folks.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

I was very sorry to hear that you won't consider our hotel again in the future because of the lack of a coffee maker in our rooms. Our Library Coffee Lounge serves La Colombe coffee every morning.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I spent a week at Public Hotel in Chicago in July and would recommend it for business and leisure travelers. A major bonus is the hotel's location. I've stayed right downtown Chicago a couple of times and found it a bit soulless -- mostly department stores and office towers. But, the Gold Coast neighbourhood where Public is located is charming. It really feels like a fun, happening place with tonnes of restaurants, parks and cafes.

Though I was in Chicago on business, I enjoyed taking out a Public bike for a cruise along the waterfront, just two blocks away. Walking through the tree-lined streets was also lovely.

As for hotel services… the gym, bar and room were all exceptional. The bar is obviously the place to be, so if you're looking for somewhere low-key and quiet, this isn't it. Because I was working from the hotel, I appreciated the large communal table in the lobby where you could sip a coffee and do some work. Sometimes working in the room is just a bit too crammed.

This hotel will be at the top of my list for my next Chicago visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your week long stay with us and that you will make us your hotel of choice when you come to Chicago in the future. Thank you for your review.