“Holiday Stay”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #102 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Wanted to stay in the Gold Coast neighborhood and this was our first choice.
I made the reservations (2 rooms), my husband checked in with 2 different reservations numbers, and the second reservation could not be found. Luckily there was availability and they honored the fare for the second room. When we went to the front desk later in the night, we gave the name in which the second room was under and they found the reservation right away and subsequently canceled it. I'm still baffled as why they couldn't find it with their hotel confirmation number, but could with the name. Staff apologized. Upgraded both rooms to a king suite which was a pleasant surprise.
Had a nightcap in the Library bar, $28 without tip for 2 drinks, considering the area probably close to the norm.
We choose a rate that for $5 more included the Public Express Breakfast~ highly recommended, and a delicious breakfast delivered to the room (knock & drop) in 10 mins or less. We received a phone call from the restaurant when ours would be a few minutes late. Final bill included the cost of the Public Express breakfast (in error) and was promptly removed when my husband pointed it out.
Will definitely consider staying again, when looking for a hotel in the neighborhood!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear MIcalobeco,

Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the confusion upon your check-in. I have addressed the issues with my Front Desk team to ensure such issues don't occur for you or other guests. I am extremely happy you enjoyed our PUBLIC express option for breakfast, and I am glad we were able to resolve the billing issue at departure. Please contact me directly when you do plan to return so I can personally assist with your arrangements. I can be contacted at 3122296700, or kday@publichotels.com.

Best regards.

Kathryn Day

Write a ReviewReviews (1,678)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

It is so rare that one will find a trendy and hip hotel with a staff that is friendly and helpful - For those of you who have not discovered The Public Chicago, you'll want to give it a try when next visiting "The Windy City".

Once you meet Kathryn Day, general manager, you will understand why this place operates the way it does. I have stayed at many less stylish hotels throughout my former career as a photographer and many times just felt disappointed with the lack of friendly service - a cold experience.

The rooms are large, comfortable, and stylish. The Pump room is second to none for dining and cocktails. Do yourself a favor and stay in the hotel one night for dinner. During the afternoon check out the Library and Coffee Bar for a beverage and snack and then again prior to dinner for excellent cocktails.

Oh - forgot to mention the great location of The Public. Close to Lincoln Park, right in the middle of The Gold Coast, and just a few blocks from the restaurants and shops of Oak Street and Michigan Avenue. I guess you can tell that I'm a huge fan.

1  Thank Lou S

Dear Lou S,

Thank you for your review of your stay at PUBLIC Chicago. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and the service my team provide to our guests. I am extremely proud of them and their passion for what they do. I am so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the Pump Room and the amazing food and cocktails available there, as well as our cozy, yet vibrant Library Bar. I am super excited you are a fan of my hotel and can’t wait to personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

---was made perfect by staying at this hotel --spotless ,courteous friendly helpful staff,--I will be back..THe Pump room served exceptional food ,and service second to none ,very helpful when checking out---even printed our boarding passes for us.

Room Tip: FIrst time staying so no comparison Maybe go higher
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AWK1950

Dear AWK1950,

I am thrilled you enjoyed the service of my exceptional team of staff. I am so proud of the service they deliver as well as our Michelin Bib awarded Pump Room team partner. On behalf of my team and myself look forward to welcome you again to the PUBLIC Chicago and the Pump room.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed in early December 2013 for a two day business meeting. The location is good, the lobby is reasonably cool, and the room was fine. For a business meeting though, I want a room with good desk space (and pen and paper readily available).

Room was clean but I had trouble getting the heater to get above 65 degrees. Not the end of the world, but I expect better when traveling.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear David M,

I appreciate the time you have taken to review your experience with us at PUBLIC Chicago. Thank your or your feedback with regards to the room. Our hotel has a range of room options available that are fitted with large working desks. Please accept my apologies with regards to the heating unit in your room; as you noted this should not be a concern when travelling. I encourage you to contact me directly when you return to this area so I can personally ensure on your next visit that he room is equipped with a supply of paper and pens to assist you to be able to work efficiently. I can be contacted at 312 229 6700 or at kday@publichotels.com to assist with your arrangements.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I celebrated a Birthday with 15 friends by dinning at the Pump Room and staying at the Public Hotel. From the first moment I checked in to the next day when I checked out, I was treated with Class. The hotel Bar and Pump Room had a great buzz about it with professionals and visitors alike. The food was excellent and the service was second to none. The GM Kathryn and Pump Room manager Owen were accommodating and warm and attended to my every need. I have staid at numerous hotels all over the country and you will not find a better value in any city than The PUBLIC Chicago.

Great time looking forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mvlasich

Dear mvlasich,

I am so happy that you and your friends choose the PUBLIC Chicago for your birthday celebration and so glad you enjoyed the Ambiance and food of our Michelin Bib awarded Pump Room. Thank you for your acknowledgment of our Director of Food and Beverage, Owen Deignan, who is an asset to our property.

We look forward to your next visit with us when you return to Chicago.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Service is their motto and they live by it. The atmosphere is a cozy minimalist, if there can be such a thing which there is with the wit in the design. Beds, pillows and linens are the top of the line and very comfortable. Shower pressure is like wonderful. Located in the Gold Coast just 2 blocks from Michigan Ave, who can ask for more?... And the holiday price was a steal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tamara K

Dear Tamara K,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at PUBLIC Chicago. I am glad your enjoyed the service my team delivers, the cozy minimalistic design, our comfortable beds and our great location in the heart of the Gold Coast. We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Historic ambassador east was transformed into a hip and friendly hotel
The accommodations are lovely and the staff is very personable and accommodating
We were really impressed. The general manager Kathryn Day is very hands on!
We look forward to returning next year.

1  Thank Nellnicko
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Nellnicko,
Thank you for the wonderful comments! I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and am pleased that you had such a memorable experience. I am very proud of our transformation into PUBLIC and am even more proud of our exceptional team. I have shared your lovely compliments with them, for an impressive stay like yours is the experience we aim to create for every guest. Thank you again for your loyalty and I hope that you continue to choose to stay with us in the very near future.