“Recent Stay and NYE Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago
Ranked #91 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Recent Stay and NYE Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Several friends and I stayed at the Public for New Year's Eve and attended their NYE event. My one-bedroom suite was spectacular for the price/location, and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. I had enough space for a gathering of friends before the hotel's party began, and room service made sure I had everything I needed (pizzas, dessert, glassware, cut-up limes/lemons, ice, etc...). The food was great by the way.

The NYE Event was attended by an upscale, well-dressed crowd (as well as some local celebrities including players from the Chicago Bulls and Bears). The party was tastefully done with a food buffet, VIP table seating and original artwork displayed throughout. Security was plentiful and professional. Special thanks to our server Eliana, the event hosts Laura and Rita, and the hotel's GM Kathryn for making this night and our stay an unforgettable one.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear RBJChicago,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am appreciate of your wonderful comments and am pleased that you enjoyed such a memorable New Year’s Eve experience. As you noted, our PUBLIC Express room service offerings are plentiful, and I am elated that you were fond of your suite. I hope you do choose to stay with us again to experience the variety of guestrooms we offer here. I have personally shared your compliments with Eliana, Laura and Rita, and we are all excited to see you return in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me upon your return to the area, I would love the opportunity to host you again.

General Man

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed with my fiancé, our newborn and even our dog! We felt very welcome, even though we weren't the ideal hotel guests.

The room was very big after an upgrade to a one bedroom. It was clean, sytlish, and quiet.

The restaurant has amazing food and a great crowd.

Room Tip: See if you can get one of the rooms that ends in 15. You get a nice sized bedroom with a huge sittin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VinceAnz
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear VinceAnz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you choose to return in the very near future. As you noted we are a very dog-friendly hotel, and I am glad that we were able to accommodate your family so comfortably. Please feel free to contact me when you return to the area, we eagerly await the opportunity to host you again.

Kind regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

So I decided to book a last minute hotel stay for my fiancé and I for New Years and to celebrate our anniversary dating. I thought a romantic stay-cation within the city would be fun. I picked Public chicago since I had been here before to have drinks and I thought it would be perfect since it had 2 bars, dining, and was a hotel. 3 things in one with no need to leave the hotel in the bad weather that was occurring. I was completely wrong. I had no clue that there was going to be a huge private NYE event held that night. I was told I would not be able to access either of the hotels bars or attend without a ticket. I didn't care about attending the private event but I did want to go to the bar and get a drink right before 12am with my fiancé or have dinner at the pump room. Sadly we couldn't so we just stayed in the room and had room service. This upset me a lot.

Next the first room I was given had a queen sizes bed when I was paying for a king. I called the front desk and the gentleman quickly fixed the problem for me. I had to drag my heavy bag to the next room. Once I got to my new room with the king bed I noticed the toilet was dirty. Stains all inside the bowel as if skid marks were left. Gross. Then the room didn't have any mirrors except for the one in the bathroom. I couldn't see how I looked before heading out to the local bars since I couldn't sit and have a drink at my hotel.

Finally the entry hall to the hotel room is very narrow. I hit my arm really hard after opening the door to enter the room. Even the gentleman who brought my room service had a hard time walking in the narrow hall.

The room was very simple with random pictures of cows hanging on the wall. At least my second room had a nice view. I thought all hotels left 4 big towels. This one was skimpy and only had 2. Also the 2 elevators take forever and are very small.

The main future of this hotel is the beautiful lobby area and areas to get drinks. I'm sad I didn't get to dine at the pump room. I was looking forward to that.

I was just over all very disappointed in my stay. I had great expectations for this place and my stay did not live up to it at all. I was thinking it was going to be trendy and luxurious and it fell short of that. I've had better experiences staying at hotels less known and not as expensive like this one in the Gold Coast/downtown area.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Aking88
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Aking88,
I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and the special night you had planned with your fiancé was not as planned. I am sorry you were unaware of the party that occurred in the hotel, for your dissatisfaction with your first room, as well as the layout and cleanliness of the second. I am apologetic that you did not have the time to speak on the morning of your departure, but I do hope you will contact me directly at 3122296700, so as I can apologize personally, as well as see what I can do so you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel has been updated and is now a very trendy place to see and be seen! I attended a wedding in Chicago and stayed at the Public for two nights. The front desk staff was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful - actually they were some of the most pleasant front desk persons I've met in a long time! The room was redecorated in modern, minimalist style. It had a huge walk-in closet which was a nice bonus. The bed was comfortable. I did not eat at the hotel, so cannot judge the restaurant. The hotel is walking distance to the Lake and is conveniently located in the Gold Coast District.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelFan48105
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear TravelFan48105,

I am so glad you that you enjoyed your stay with us while you attended your wedding here in Chicago. Thank you for your comment with regards to my Front Desk Team, I am very proud of the service they provide. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our location here in the Gold Coast. We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future and hope when you do you have a chance to dine with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I recommended The Public for my aunt while in town for the holidays- we have been to the pump Room and loved it plus the gold coast location is beautiful. Upon check in they had hot chocolate, candy canes and we were greeted by the GM Kathryn Day who is amazing. Within a day I moved my parents from my apt (crowded for the holidays) to a suite which they could not be happier with. The bar service by Gus was excellent- great drinks and awesome burger:) The have been helpful in managing the holidays which i greatly appreciate and most importantly everyone is happy. As a travel agent and native New Yorker I have always been a fan of Ian Schrager hotels- when in NY my favorite night of the year is their Christmas Eve celebration in Gramercy Park. This hotel outdoes the others with service and it is extremely reasonably priced. Had I not received their emails with upcoming holiday special rates we could have been in a much less elegant location. Thank you for your hospitality!

Dear maray28,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay experience at the PUBLIC Chicago. It was a pleasure to meet you during this visit and I am so glad we could ensure you’re Aunty and Parents were comfortable during the holidays. Thank you for your acknowledgment of Gus at the Bar. I will ensure I pass your compliments on to him. On behalf of my team and me, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back, even if just for a drink or dinner.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is a recently updated hotel that we stayed at for 3 nights. Easy walk to restaurants and shopping. It is very contemporary. The large flat screen is nice and bed is ok. Staff was friendly from the front desk to the valets.

1 Thank Ctjones4
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Thank you Ctjones4 for your review of your three day stay with us at the PUBLIC Chicago.

Thank you for your acknowledgment of our staff. I am very proud of them and their passion for what they do.

My team and I look forward to welcome you again in the very near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Wanted to stay in the Gold Coast neighborhood and this was our first choice.
I made the reservations (2 rooms), my husband checked in with 2 different reservations numbers, and the second reservation could not be found. Luckily there was availability and they honored the fare for the second room. When we went to the front desk later in the night, we gave the name in which the second room was under and they found the reservation right away and subsequently canceled it. I'm still baffled as why they couldn't find it with their hotel confirmation number, but could with the name. Staff apologized. Upgraded both rooms to a king suite which was a pleasant surprise.
Had a nightcap in the Library bar, $28 without tip for 2 drinks, considering the area probably close to the norm.
We choose a rate that for $5 more included the Public Express Breakfast~ highly recommended, and a delicious breakfast delivered to the room (knock & drop) in 10 mins or less. We received a phone call from the restaurant when ours would be a few minutes late. Final bill included the cost of the Public Express breakfast (in error) and was promptly removed when my husband pointed it out.
Will definitely consider staying again, when looking for a hotel in the neighborhood!

Dear MIcalobeco,

Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the confusion upon your check-in. I have addressed the issues with my Front Desk team to ensure such issues don't occur for you or other guests. I am extremely happy you enjoyed our PUBLIC express option for breakfast, and I am glad we were able to resolve the billing issue at departure. Please contact me directly when you do plan to return so I can personally assist with your arrangements. I can be contacted at 3122296700, or kday@publichotels.com.

Best regards.