“Brilliant ”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #101 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

With trepidation I arrived, very late after a long flight from Australia. It was damn cold- outdoor freezer around -15. Deg C - for an Aussie that's cold. I arrived to the most amazing hotel. Warm, inviting, and super friendly. If you want to stay in a hotel that's no more than a room with a bath then don't come here... This place is relaxed. It is lively, great food and a bar that goes off. If you can't find any good coffee in America - come to the Public... Damn good brew... Lifesaver in the morning.
The General Manager runs a fabulous ship. I would rate this hotel as one of the best I have stayed at.... And yep I have been to some of the worlds top 10! Cheers Pete from Down Under

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear MadAussieScientist,

It was a pleasure to have you, a fellow Australian as our guest at the PUBLIC Chicago and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us while you were here in Chicago. I am glad, that despite the cold Chicago weather you found the PUBLIC Chicago warm, inviting and my team of staff friendly.

I am glad you enjoyed our Pump Room and our Library Café and bar where we serve La Colombe Coffee throughout the day.

We hope to see you again soon in Chicago whenever your travels bring you this way again.

Kday@publichotels.com

999 - 1,005 of 1,675 reviews

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This was a complete surprise of a hotel

I have stayed in Chicago only once before and have no clear understanding of what is a good or bad area to book a hotel in but as you arrive at this hotel you realise its in a stunning, wealthy, architecturally beautiful old part of the city.

The 'wow' continues as you enter the hotel. Its a gorgeous building with impressive lobby and public space that again, I just wasn't expecting.

For the rate I got I didn't assume luxury or boutique but got that in abundance.

The check in staff were quick and efficient, the stunning bar was somewhere you'd want to just hang out in for a whole night with gorgeous open fire and artwork and cosy dark lighting. The restaurant and its own bar is also a true destination in its own right. The lighting is completely amazing and the photos attached don't do it justice.

Without a reservation we got a table and the menu ranges from tuna tartare and pizza to stunning entrées and cocktails. What we ordered was perfect and the service fantastic.

So the hotel is really wow and I guess the problem then is you build up really high expectations of the rooms. There is categorically nothing wrong with the rooms at all - my room was large, warm and clean, the bathroom had obviously just been retired and remodelled. The bed linen and pillows perfect. It just felt very bland and clinical and didn't quite match the impression you get when you arrive.

It wouldn't stop be from staying there again and again it feels like they could put just a little more warmth and attention and character into the rooms. Otherwise. I loved it.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank MrJ

Dear MJ,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the PUBLIC Chicago. I am excited you enjoyed your stay with us, our décor, the ambience of our bars, as well as the food and service in our Pump Room restaurant.

We appreciate your feedback on your room, and we are glad our décor would not stop you from returning. We hope to see you again very soon, and please allow me to assist you with your arrangements when you do.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We just returned from a three day stay at PUBLIC and we have to say that we would not recommend this hotel. Here's why: our neighbors in the room next door were entertaining at least 15 of their friends and didn't seem to realize that they were in a hotel. They were loud, pounding on the door, and bringing more friends in to share the party. We placed three, yes,3, calls to the front desk. When security asked them to quiet down, he even stated that "Wow, there are a lot of you in this room". Unfortunately it took two more calls before they told the party people to go back down to the lobby. The next night it started all over again. The desk clerk wanted to know if we wanted a different room. Really? We were in bed and she wanted us to move. Security came, told the party people that he could hear them down the hall and moved them to another room on another floor.

It may be a very tasteful looking place, with very polite people working but I could never recommend a hotel that allows pandering to people who are rude. The bathroom had an issue that was taken care of very quickly with a really nice apology. But we never heard an apology from about the noise and need to call security four times over two nights.

Our advice:

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank qfe123
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear qfe123,

Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the noise disturbance in your room from the neighboring room. I have followed up with my team on how to handle situations such as this moving forward and disturbance of our guests will not be tolerated. I encourage you to reach out to me personally at 3122296700 so I may apologize in person and see what I can do to ensure you do choose to stay with us again. I look forward to the opportunity to speak in person.

Sincere regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My fiancee and I stayed at the Public on Saturday night for a "staycation." We have done this before in Chicago at the Waldorf and a few other properties. We were really impressed by the Public and thought the service, food and suite was excellent. It has a much more contemporary and cool vibe than any other hotel in the city and is definitely the place to stay in Chicago for anyone visiting from another big city.

The room service was great, and the express breakfast is SO fast. You can't believe it. The bed is really comfortable and the overall design of the room is chic, clean and cool. A+.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Chrissy B,

I am so excited you enjoyed your 'stay-cation' with us at PUBLIC Chicago, from our food, your suite and the service of my team! I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our PUBLIC express option.

On behalf of my team and myself, we look forward to welcome you back very soon, and encourage you to reach out to me when you do.

kday@publichotes.com

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed at PUBLIC Chicago saturday night. Beautiful lobby and very courteous staff. Pump room restaurant was also very good. Guest room could have used updating. The bathroom wall had blisters all over the wall. Maybe from the steam. No bathroom fan. I liked the simplicity of everything and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear jefferylair,

I appreciate the time you have taken to review your stay of the PUBLIC Chicago. I am glad you enjoyed the PUMP Room and the service of our staff. I am disappointed you found the room lacking, but I'm glad you will return. I look forward to welcome you back and encourage you to contact me at 312 229 6700 when you do plan your next stay.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

As you enter the lobby of the PUBLIC, you are greeted by a friendly, efficient staff who cannot do enough to make you feel at home. The rooms are very clean and beautifully decorated in a comfortable, contemporary style with attention to every detail. We enjoyed a delicious dinner at the hotel's beautiful Pump Room in a totally relaxed atmosphere. I had previously stayed at the PUBLIC, and this time my husband joined me. We both can't wait to return! Thanks for a great stay away!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeanne H.

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at PUBLIC. I am thrilled you enjoyed your dinner in our PUMP Room, our rooms, and especially the service of my team of staff. I am very proud of the service they provide. I am so glad you brought your husband with you for this stay and look forward to welcome you back very soon. When you do, please contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have stayed in many hotels in downtown Chicago, but very few of them would be properties we would return to. Public Chicago is definitely a place we would stay again. We wanted something close to our daughter's apartment (only a block away!), but it also is very close to a number of shops and restaurants. The property is in more of a quiet residential type surrounding which was actually quite nice. Even so, in better weather you can easily walk to Michigan Ave. The room rate we got was awesome - $140/night including parking! Many hotels offer specials at this time of year, but the free parking was an added bonus.
The doorman who greeted us upon arrival was very friendly. The front desk staff were also very friendly and expeditious. The barista in the coffee lounge was efficient and talkative.
The room was very serene in its shades of white and cream. The bed, although a little low (my husband is 6'6"), was extremely comfortable. Two slight drawbacks:
1. The bathroom was tight with very little counter space. The toilet was in an interesting spot as if you left the bathroom door open you were right there for all to see, but if you closed the door, you were treated to a reflection of yourself in the mirror mounted to the back of the door! Poor planning?? Unfortunately that was the only mirror besides the small one over the sink so it was hard to figure out where to put on make-up, do your hair, etc.
2. All of the outlets in the room were extremely loose so you had to check to make sure things were charging properly.
One final perk of this property: FREE INTERNET!! It seems very few downtown Chicago hotels offer this, so that could be really important for someone traveling on business. The lobby area is very inviting and comfortable which would also be helpful for business travelers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear trish513,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the PUBLIC Chicago. I am so glad you enjoyed our location, the service of our staff from start to finish, as well as the free internet offered at the hotel. Thank you for your candid feedback with regards to the lighting in the room, as well as the outlets. We will address these issues internally.

I look forward to welcome you back to this area in the near future and when you do, reach out to me personally to assist with your arrangements. I can be contacted at 3122296700.