“a jewel in the goldcoast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago
Ranked #91 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
“a jewel in the goldcoast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Price right for all the good service that you get. The staff greets you right away with a smiling faces. I feel like I'm someone when I was in the hotel. Very friendly and hospitable people. A true sense of hospitality.
The food is great complete with great ambiance and great service.
Room attendant very attentive and my request was fulfilled immediately. Talk about fast service with a smile.
The lobby is awesome, I have so many selfie in the lobby and library bar.
I'll recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: room 1628, the loft style
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Larry B,

Thank you very much for your lovely review! It is very refreshing to hear how well your stay was and that you felt special. I hope you can come and visit us again very soon.

STAYPUBLIC,

Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
los angeles, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Was here for a couple of nights for business. Overall, it's really fine, no major complaints. Agree with reviews regarding the night club feel. That's fine, just not for me. Neither are the drink prices. The only major things lacking are the room service and the customer service. Just didn't feel like the most welcoming place. The room service menu is limited. I don't understand why there's no room service from the pump room or that you can't even get take out from the pump room to bring back to your room. .....white people problems.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Toomuchtv28,

I am very sorry that you felt the service was lacking at PUBLIC, I would love to talk further about the issues. We want every guest to feel special and offer all a unique experience. Please reach out to me at your convenience.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Public Chicago for four nights. The hotel has a real boutique feel and a great energy. It was nice to be able to come back from a day exploring the city and then having delicious cocktails in the lively lounge. The onsite restaurant, the Pump Room, was a great place to have dinner but does require a reservation. The neighbourhood is very residential but has many restaurants and shopping just a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Honeymooninparis123,

Is it possible for you to just write a review for us everyday? Thank you so much for taking the time to put your review online. We are very proud of our hotel and enjoy it just as much. I truly hope you can come back soon so we can exceed your expectations!

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

When I think of hotels I think of sleep and relaxation. This hotel is absolutely beautiful with its decor, and style. The Pump room restaurant/bar is located on the property, to the left of the main lobby. The hotel has an incredible library/coffee room with great baristas that can make a mean espresso drink. Due to the Pump room and the bar being located just inside on both sides of the front desk, there is a nightclub like vibe with lots of noise if you arrive at night. For guests just arriving with luggage, this can be a little unnerving when you have people stumbling around and all you want to do is check in and sleep. My hotel room was very clean, except my shower drain was a little clogged, and my desk lamp wouldn't shut off, so I had to unplug it every night. Great place to hang and meet new people... But if you want a home-like environment, this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Try and request a room in the hall rather than on the corner of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Michael Q,

I'm glad that you were able to take the time and write a review about your recent stay with us, we read all of our reviews and are always looking to improve. We will take all of your feedback into consideration and if you have any other concerns/comments please feel free to contact me.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Public has a classy, fun atmosphere with a great view of the city and close access to the beach as well as the Lake Shore running path! The room was bigger than expected and very clean! We enjoyed The Library lounge and the gym the next morning! Great service all across the board! We'll be staying here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Natalie R,

What a wonderful review! It really means a lot to us to hear this kind of feedback and keeps us striving to become better. I hope you can come back and see us again very soon.

S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Public was an excellent choice for our time in Chicago. The hotel itself was very gorgeous, and seemed to have an extremely popular bar and restaurant downstairs. The rooms were well sized and clean. It offered free wifi but only for one device at a time, however the lobby had free wifi as well which we made use of. The staff were also very welcoming and pleasant. We only had one issue on checkout where we were charged for dinner at the restaurant when we hadn't dined there. Luckily this was sorted out before our checkout and we weren't charged. The location of this hotel is also good, it's a bit of a walk to magnificent mile but it's in the most gorgeous neighbourhood, it's a pleasure to walk through. Overall I would happily stay there again and recommend it to friends.

1 Thank Modo3971
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Modo3971,

We would love to have you stay with us again! I love the neighborhood as well, it is incredibly historic. (Tip) If you walk a block or two north of us they still have gas street lamps that make you feel like you are back in "Old Chicago".

I am thrilled that you took the time to review us and even happier that you had such pleasant things to say. I hope you visit us again soon so we can continue to exceed your expectations!

Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

M Antoinette Dobson reviewed Public Hotels.
38 mins ·
★☆☆☆☆ It is unapologetically an adult, business, night life hotel with little amenities (they call it minimalism). Families, try the Drake if you want the Gold Coast Neighborhood, Sheridan next to the Chicago River or the Hilton near Museum Plaza. All of the effort is in the lobby and suites so if you are sold on this hotel, move up to a suite. The television inputs have been disabled so do not bring video games or streaming products. Even room service is inconsistent but if you walk a block to State Street or a bit further to Rush Street, there are infinitely better choices for meals then the brown bag express meals they call Express. For example, we ordered the same Express Breakfast multiple mornings and it was different each day, some days with 2 pastries, other days 1...and guest services could not be bothered. It is the old adage where the help is more conservative and snotty then their employers. Finally, you can beat all of the Concierges deals by a mile online just book 24 hours ahead. Stay somewhere else, come to the Public Hotel just to party. I will say that the housekeepers were so kind and accommodating, it gave me home that their level of service will spread among their colleagues. We travel for leisure as a family 6 times a year and this has been by far, our worst experience.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank DobsonWilsonFamily
MadEsq,

I usually look forward to our reviews on TripAdvisor, wondering what the next guest loved about the hotel. I am disappointed that this was not the case with your experience. We are passionate about our service and product and I am truly sorry that you did not feel this from us.

At PUBLIC we try to differentiate ourselves from other hotels by focusing on which services are most important to our guest's. As you mentioned our PUBLIC Express options, we have created these handmade items for fast delivery(between 10-15 minutes) since so many people are on time restraints. Our regular room service menu has quite a few other choices if one does not want the Express option. I apologize if you were not aware of this.

I am truly concerned with our staff falling short of your expectations. I have said this in several responses and am very passionate about service. I would like to obtain more details on what we could have done better.

Thank you for providing some feedback about your stay and would very much like to get more information.