The PUBLIC Chicago is a lovely hotel in a lovely area...when seen from afar. The design is crisp and modern, with beautifully soothing monochromatic palettes throughout the hotel: white in the lobby and rooms, a deep taupe in hallways. Overall, the effect is calming and pleasing to the eye. The issues for us arose when we experienced some of the details.
Cons: the actual detail work in our room was oddly shoddy...paint streaks, stained carpets, and roughly patched walls. The worst part was a basic mistake in the room's setup. The television in the neighboring room was mounted on the same all that the head of our bed was placed against. The effect was (alas) that we could hear every word from our neighbor's flatscreen as the vibrations were conducted through the wall. This did not help us sleep well. (Yes, there are options like asking politely to turn it down, calling the front desk...but this is the first time in decades of hotel stays where this has been necessary for us.)
Pros: the style really is lovely. The bath was deep, and the shower stream was strong. The bed was deeply comfy. The hotel itself is perfectly located...the area is quiet and beautiful, but it is walking distance to the shops and restaurants on the Mag Mile, and to the beach. The Pump Room is a decently good restaurant. Exceptional design scheme. Service was good.
Verdict: I want to like this hotel based on the superficial qualities, but when it comes to our actual stay in the room we paid for...we can't say we really enjoyed it. You can do as well or far better for the same price or less at a multitude of nearby hotels. If you like the design of the PUBLIC, I particularly encourage giving The James a try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- PUBLIC, conceived by Ian Schrager, is an entirely new class of hotel. Its fundamental attributes are innovative, sophisticated, authentic style; spot-on, personalized, empathetic "essential" service; lasting comfort with complete functionality, all at an affordable price and offering tremendous value. For the first time, this type of hotel experience will be available for everyone and anyone who wants it ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your PUBLIC Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Public Chicago Hotel Chicago
- Ambassador East Hotel Chicago
- Hotel Ambassador East
- Ambassador East Chicago