“Decent, but my Aunt didn't like it.”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #101 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I really liked this hotel, it was very hip and had a modern furniture feel to it. My aunt who has some minor medical issues didn't enjoy her stay. She, too thought it was a very beautiful hotel; she frequently joked about how she can "picture" Al Capone coming out of the elevator with a tommy gun. The beds sit very low and the shower didn't have the "handle bars" that most hotels have, which was an major inconvenience for my aunt, she woke up every morning with a stiff back and almost slipped in the shower, but the staff was very helpful in bringing a bath mat for the tub. But overall we enjoyed our stay, it was very close taxi ride to everywhere. I had a rental car, so be advised, if you want to do valet for parking, it's 56 dollars (US Dollar) a day. All the staff (except one disgruntled and somewhat rude parking attendant when I asked for change to tip the guy who brought my car around) were very cordial and nice. I'm sure this hotel has rooms for disabled and if we stay in Chicago, next time I will make sure to ask. Great hotel over all. One more thing, it has a fully stocked fridge and there's no room to put any leftovers you get from the great restaurants we ate in Chicago...no microwave, either but room service is very good!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
PUBLIC H, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Hersh35,

I’m happy to hear you liked PUBLIC, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I had never thought of Al Capone departing our elevators with a tommy gun, but what a great picture! I, too, think PUBLIC is a very beautiful hotel; I especially love the chandeliers in the lobby. I apologize for any inconveniences your aunt experienced during her stay with us. PUBLIC is ADA accessible, so be sure to ask for an accessible room during your next stay. I’m very happy to hear you were pleased with our staff because at PUBLIC, service matters most and we hope to instill that feeling into each and every one of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, we can’t wait to have you back!

David Miskit
PUBLIC Chicago

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Chicago

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Loved the location - close to lake, Rush Street, lots of restaurants and the L. Yet, it is in a neighborhood, so it was very quiet at night. The staff was top notch. We didn't eat at the Pump Room, but it looked nice. Overall, good experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear jmull50,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We take great pride in our customer service and it is always nice to hear our guests refer to our staff as top notch. It’s a shame that you did not get around to eating at the Pump Room; you must try it next time you visit. Their new food concept was created by world-renowned chef and 2011 James Beard award winner, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and it is truly out of this world. Thank you again for sharing, we hope to see you soon!

David Miskit
PUBLIC Chicago

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Public is a great hotel located in a great location! The boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights on our recent trip to Chicago. You are walking distance from the beach, or you can take advantage of the free bike rental at the hotel. Be careful on your beach excursions on the weekends it is crowded!! Overall great hotel and the staff is very well put together. Make sure you visit the coffee bar in the AM for one of the best Vanilla Latté’s I have ever had!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Echo T
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Echo T,

Thank you for that great recommendation! I have not yet tried the Vanilla Latte but I will have to now. We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, please come visit again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

PUBLIC is a rare mix of both charming and cool. It’s in an old building but the rooms are chic, well-maintained, spacious and comfortable. I stayed here during a 3 day conference and found the location ideal for attending the conference downtown. It’s in an upscale and beautiful neighborhood (Gold Coast), which is about a 20 minute/ 1 mile walk from downtown and just a few blocks away from the scenic 18 mile Chicago Lake front running trail. Some key positive aspects of this property were:
-selection of dining/ lounge spaces- there’s a lively bar, which is clearly a hot spot in the neighborhood, as well as a more low key and quieter “library. “

-fitness room- located on the 11th floor, and although not huge, it offers various cardio equipment and weight machines

-well-functioning and designed hotel rooms- a/c was great, TV channel selection was great, plenty of closet space, easily accessible outlets

Some areas of improvement:
-one of the elevators was down, which meant long waits and often very crowded elevators.
-bathroom amenities- as a female with long hair that doesn’t respond well to humidity, I need conditioner in addition to shampoo and there was no conditioner provided. I would have expected more than just shampoo and 2 bars of soap at a hotel of this caliber.

Overall a nice experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

LB02111,

I really enjoyed your description of the hotel as "a mix of both charming and cool". We love our hotel and I think that is a great way to put our style. I know that the elevators being down did make for some longer wait times, but I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay none the less. Now that I have learned humidity is the enemy next time you stay with us we will make sure to have some available for you!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I just completed a 4-night stay at this hotel and it was fantastic. I booked the trip through Priceline and thought the experience for the value was excellent. Beautiful older building with modern aesthetics, friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds, plus our view of the skyline was lovely! I didn't get a chance to dine in the Pump Room or visit the cafe, but hope to in the future. Also, walking distance to the lake, Magnificent Mile, subway, bars on Division Street and CVS/Walgreens [great for last minute items or bottled water!]. The concierge was helpful with several requests as well. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissKiki14
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

MissKiki 14,

I couldn't agree more! We do have some amazing views of the city and neighborhood. I will pass along your wonderful comments about the concierge staff and I hope that next time you see us you will be able to experience the Pump Room. Thank you for your time and kind words.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

A group of us recently stayed at PUBLIC Chicago, and I had a great experience. I enjoyed the decor and modern flourishes, the (Deluxe King) room was spacious, the bed was comfortable and the location was ideal.

The food was yummy (though, for what it was, a bit overpriced) and the concierge, Terry, was nothing but kind and helpful in helping me set up some plans.

Unfortunately, the weekend we were there, an elevator was out of service (they only have two), so I either had to wait 10+ minutes for one (which was usually packed), or had to take the stairs. There wasn't really any communication about this, which was disappointing.

Maintenance issues aside, I enjoyed my weekend stay and was well taken care of. The hotel is a bit pricey (especially if you eat or dine), but, as they say, you get what you pay for -- and in my case, it was a pretty terrific weekend. (I'd just make sure the elevators work before you book!)

Room Tip: Lower rooms get a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim F

Tim F,

I would like to thank you for the kind words and taking the time to write a review on PUBLIC. I'm very happy to hear what a great job Terry did and that your overall experience with the hotel was pleasant. I am sorry that you had to wait longer for the elevator, though. I know how frustrating this can be. I hope that you can come visit us again soon and experience PUBLIC with fully functioning elevators!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel (in the old Ambassador Hotel location) is a jewel. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's close to the sights but also tucked into a quiet corner close the lake. The vibe is very chill ... the front desk staff and the staff in the bar were unabashedly friendly and helpful but also blessedly low-key. The room decor is sleek and un-fussy -- everything was super clean and the linens were spectacular. The bar is a nice place to meet up with friends or just hang out -- lots of comfortable seating and some good people-watching opportunities to boot. I'm looking forward to a getaway weekend here in the fall -- I'll be able to try the breakfast buffet, which I understand is excellent. I didn't eat at the fabled Pump Room restaurant (the only Jean-Georges Vongerichten restaurant in Chicago, I think), but will when we return. I found this to be a great value and I've already recommended this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: You can ask for a lake view, but I always prefer to see the city lit up at night, so I'd recomme...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Cory S,

I think our hotel is a "jewel" as well! Thank you so much for such a excellent review, I enjoyed reading it very much and have already shared it with our team. Our breakfast buffet is amazing so please do try it next time. I hope to see you again soon,