“Very posh and luxurious! restfull stay!”
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #9 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Hinsdale
“Very posh and luxurious! restfull stay!”
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We had a couple of great romantic weekends there, and really enjoyed the hotel! There is nothing you will not like: the rooms are fantatic and very large, it is close to everything with a fantastic restaurant with killer views. We are coming back for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
parkchicago, Executive Assistant Manager - Operations at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, 19 March 2011
Dear Hinsdalemama:

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind words about Park Hyatt Chicago. We, too, look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager - Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I visit Chicago every other month and hadn't gotten a chance to stay here (it's a little far from my business, but this time I got a good deal because of renovations to the 7th floor, so decided to try it out.)

Had to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Generally I stay at the Conrad, which is also not exactly 5-star, but is still good. But this might be on par with that, but definitely not in competition with say, the Trump.

The service is pretty good. Everyone's very helpful. Like the coffee/tea in the lobby in the mornings, hot chocolate in teh afternoons and sparkling waters at night.

Room was big with a nice view of the old water tour. Free internet with good signal. Big plasma TV, though no HD options on the in-demand, so kind of a waste if you need a movie to keep you up while you're trying to get some work done.

Bed was not really comfortable. It's a shame, considering, but I was very surprised at the fact that it wasn't. Amenities were okay, nothing special. Ordered dessert form room service and was underwhelmed. Took awhile for a pre-made tarte. Pot of tea included one bag insufficient for the water provided and got cold almost immediately. The Conrad has far superior room service to make up for the smaller room size.

Anyway, I tried it. I definitely wouldn't pay regular rates for it without some sort of refurb. If you want to pay that much the Trump seems far superior.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2011

A truly grand experience. Luxury at a wonderful price. Accommodations, dining and customer service outstanding.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear Jac1228:

Thank you very much for your review after your recent business stay. We are so glad to hear your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 February 2011

loved this hotel...first time in Chicago--went for business meeting and wasnt disappointed. Food was excellent, hotel rooms were posh and lux. Very happy with my stay and would stay again. Right on Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2011

One of the best Luxury Hotels in the world.

Stayed in a Executive suite for my wife's birthday. The service and staff was excellent, from the moment we stepped out of the limo the staff was at our beckoning.  It was almost scary how well the staff catered to your every need, my wife was very pleased with the Hotel and its decor.  The location was the best, walking distance to the Famous Water Tower, John Hancock building, and all of the high end shopping one can handle.  We have been to several Five star hotels in the past around the world from the Caribbean to Europe and excluding the 90 degree weather we have to put this hotel at the top of our list.  We would definitely look at staying at other Park Hyatt hotel locations, I also became a Gold member for future stays.  Their was only one problem, and this would not stop me from giving a great review nor would this stop me from staying at any one of their locations again.  The futuristic entertainment system looked great but did not work, the battery on the universal touch screen remote did not work also and would not hold a charge, also my new I phone would not work with the aux jack provided.  All said I was little disappointed but overlooked.

• Stayed February 2011
grand rapids, michigan
Reviewed 5 February 2011

From the valet parking, bellman, concierge, front desk staff, and restaurant staff - an absolutely wonderful experience. The accomodations were superb with attention to detail top notch in everyway. The only thing that surprised us was that there were no coffee makers in the room - however, a wonderful coffee bar was available in the main lobby. We will defintely be staying there again when we visit Chicago in September for a wedding! Keep up the good work! and - the location is terrific for shopping at Water Tower!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
ParkHyattChicago, Executive Assistant Manager - Operations at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Dear Flyfish08,

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words and feedback. It was a wonderful way to start the week. I will be sure to share everything with the entire team.

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Chicago real soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 January 2011

How unpleasant... Being awoken by a jack hammer on each morning of my stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago. Apparently it's supposed to go on for weeks to months. Horrible. When I complained that I did not appreciate being awoken in this manner nobody, including the managers, cared to do or say anything to help. The construction is in the hotel many floors below me, so I know they have control over the hours… But even if they didn’t have any control in the short term the least managers could do is offer ear plugs or coffee for the unpleasant intrusion on my sleep. Did they offer anything? NO! I gave them several attempts to palliate the problem because I inquired on the noise status several times. Poor service. The comfortable bedding does not make up for the inability to sleep in this hotel. I'd stay away from this hotel... I started looking for another hotel after the first morning.

The above matters aside, the service was slightly below acceptable (the poor handling of the jack hammering made it very unacceptable). The hotel itself keeps the rooms fairly good condition but on close inspection you can see that many elements are aging and not quite modern as of this decade. The view is pretty. The bedding was great. The towels are cheap and some were torn. The hotel restaurant has closed. The pool is closed. The gym is not 24 hours (6a-9p or something like that). Nobody opens the front doors to the hotel regardless of time of day. There is no coffee in the rooms (but you can call for a coffee maker), and the lobby coffee was unattended (it was cold and the milk container was empty). The free shoe shining was pathetic as gobs of polish remained on my (fairly expensive) shoes when they were returned.

Prior to my hotel stay I was called for confirmation that I was staying. The person mentioned the restaurant was undergoing renovation… He neglected to mention the rest of the problems including limited services and excessive noise. After I left the hotel and returned home I was contacted by a manager to apologize for the experience; he offered me a free night in the future. I appreciated the gesture, but it's a day late and a dollar short. As mentioned above, a warning prior to my hotel stay, a cup of coffee or some ear plugs would have been appreciated significantly more.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Laserbeme1
ParkHyattChicago, Executive Assistant Manager - Operations at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Dear Laserbeme1:

Please accept my sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your recent stay at Park Hyatt Chicago.

I have shared the details of your experience with the entire hotel, including our executive committee, and have taken immediate action to focus our hotel efforts in providing the best service experience our guests are accustomed to. We will use your feedback to ensure that a similar occurrence does not reoccur.

Thank you again for your very important feedback. We value your business and hope to welcome you back in the near future.