“My New Favorite Place to Stay in Chicago”
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 January 2012

If you are a frequent tripadvisor viewer like, me, you probably scroll through the pictures that other travelers have taken to get a sense of the property. By doing this and observing the photos that other people took of the stay, by the 10th picture of this property, I was sold. You can tell by the sleek, chic room décor how awesome these rooms are. I was inspired and booked my stay here, coupled by the fact that this hotel had dropped significantly in price at the time of my booking, making it the overall winner.
When we pulled up in our cab, even the outside of this hotel is amazing, stunning, and impressive. It is ideally located and truly in the middle of everything. We noticed right away that NoMI is the affiliated restaurant there, which was a good sign for us. Once out of the cab, the doorman is microphoned and asks for your name. He “mics” your name to the front desk so that they can pull up your reservation and that they are all ready for you. It is pretty awesome. The sweetest, most professional reception girl greeted us and processed our check in seamlessly. At our former hotel (the Conrad) we were stuck looking into another office building from our hotel room. Here, we were smart, and requested a view. She stated that it would be $30 more for a view, and we politely declined. This hotel is definitely a splurge purchase, and you really don’t want to pay much more than what you already have paid. Interestingly enough, when we checked into our room, we had a stunning, gorgeous view of Chicago. (Thanks, check in girl!)
In a previous review, I complained that the Conrad had no “WOW” factor, but was simple and suitable. THIS hotel is one big wow factor after another. The lobby is gorgeous, dark, stately, and sexy. It is just a place where you want to stay at as long as possible. When you go into your room, you are just struck by the trendy, cool, vibe that rises up and greets you. The rooms are immaculate and pristinely designed to satisfy even the most highbrow consumer. The blinds are all electronically controlled by the wall, along with your lights and just about everything else in your room. The office desk is this really modern, cool design and swings on over across into the room. I was immediately in love. The main stunner? The bathroom wall opens, so you can take a big, bubble bath, while sitting in your tub, enjoying the view of your room, or outside your window. It is a REALLY well designed room, and smartly aware of what a traveler wants for a comfortable stay. HUGE bonus points awarded for the bedding. This is why you pay more for a hotel room. Probably one of the best nights sleep I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. In fact, we loved the bedding so much, contacting the hotel about their complete list of bedding / mattress / mattress pad is still on my list of things to do. It is something that I would be interested in replicating for my own home. (Yep. It is THAT outstanding!!)
Here is what makes this a 5 star property: Extras and details. I got to enjoy the most luxurious bath with complimentary bath salts, stocked in the rooms. It was truly a special experience and trust me, we really didn’t want to leave. Additionally, the mini bar is well stocked with all sorts of treats, plus complimentary apples in your room for you to enjoy. We loved everything about the room.
The one downside came into play when I ordered breakfast the next morning. I ordered a basic breakfast ($16 and not a bad price for this nice of a property) plus a side of fruit, a juice, and coffee. When I went to go pick it up, I had to wait about 15 minutes for the girl to get back with my change. I just was left there, standing, with no explanation. I paid in cash, instead of charging it to my room. Normally, this wouldn’t annoy me, but it is early, I am tired, no makeup on as people are trickling in to enjoy their $60 brunch, and I just wanted to pay and get out of there. Instead, I had to loiter around this fancy hallway endlessly for her to get back with my change. Apparently, she explained that they only rely on the bartender for change and since the bartender wasn’t there on Sundays, she had to go downstairs to the reception area to hunt down change. Fine. I would have appreciated being told that, and I would have just charged it to my room to save both of us the trouble. Now 20 minutes later, I high tailed it back to my room, with the breakfast in hand. I open it only to find BLACK toast, totally burned. Really? Who would be so careless to package up burned toast at this nice of a hotel at these prices. My bill was $34 for 1 meal, 2 drinks, and my toast was burned? Fine. I then realized that they didn’t process the order right. It was supposed to include a meat (not included in my takeout) and the toast was supposed to be included (which I was charged for.) SUPER annoying. My coffee had no cream or sugar, which we had to go back downstairs to get. In an ultra-classy, uber trendy hotel, I just would have expected things like this to go much more smoothly. I will say, the staff is super nice, accommodating and polite. It is just the breakfast on Sundays that can use some work.
Reluctant to leave, our checkout was smooth and uneventful. The bellmen are all very prompt and professional; they have been well trained and work very hard for the hotel. We were really impressed.
With the exception to the breakfast blunder, this has become my favorite place to stay in Chicago. I would describe this hotel as dark, modern, sleek, sophisticated, sexy, trendy, professional, upscale, desirable, and luxurious. If you can afford the splurge of spending to stay here, do it. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and will look forward to a return here sometime.

Room Tip: Request a view, but don't pay more for it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingBeautifully

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I speak often of customer service. From Asia to Europe, to here at home....I often have the opportunity to talk about what it means to provide exceptional customer service. For many years, i have shared not one...but SEVERAL stories of where this property made an impression on me. This hotel is simply WONDERFUL!

The location cant be beat. Its on the doorstep of Chicago's best....

The decor is terrific. I prefer a hotel that is not too 'fluffy', and this hotel features stunning artwork, classic furnishings...and a 'WOW' factor that makes me happy every time i walk in the doors.

Nomi is a dining option that is rare in a 'Chain' hotel. Its a Chicago DESTINATION. From the view, to the incredible bar vibe...to the AWESOME food offerings, this is and continues to be a very popular Chicago TRADITION. Even if you arent staying here at the Park Hyatt, drinks at Nomi should be part of EVERY hotel stay.

I have tried the Peninsula, The Four Seasons, The Ritz, and so many other Chicago hotels. I keep going back to Park Hyatt.

The staff is what really sets this property apart. Wow...the stories i have to share. Wonderful, caring stories that will always make this hotel a favorite for me.

Downside? None.

Room Tip: I prefer the lake views, of course. Additionally, i don't like the corner rooms with standard b...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesE339
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We travel to Chicago several times a year on business and we always stay at the Park Hyatt downtown. I was surprised to see that this amazing hotel only made #17 on your list of Chicago hotels. Our experience there has always been very pleasant. In fact, even though I would like to stay at the Peninsula sometime (just out of curiosity), my wife won't stay anywhere but the Park Hyatt!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Just here for a quick overnight meeting. This hotel has quickly become my favorite in Chicago. the location is fantastic and the room and service are exemplary. From my check in yesterday, asking for a few special requests from the front desk were met with immediate service. I drove in, my back was killing me and I asked for a massage before my dinner meeting. I got right in and it was fanastic! I also asked for a special charcuterie and cheese platter that they didn't have on the menu and they made something wonderful and sent it up. LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel and you will too.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I've stayed at virtually every five star hotel in Chicago, and there is a reason why I routinely return to the Park Hyatt. First of all, location. Second of all, deep soaking tubs (especially in the winter). Third of all, NoMi. And, did I mention the service? All contribute to create an excellent stay every time I return. The rooms are impeccable, the service is five star and the location is smack dab in the middle of Michigan Avenue. Ask for a room Lake Michigan/Water Tower facing.

Hands DOWN my favorite hotel in Chicago. I stay here at least twice a month for business and look forward to my stay every time. Let Ramon (the hotel's driver) take you around in his 7 series- he is fantastic and always very professional.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Posh Park Hyatt hotel in downtown Chicago. They have exceptional First Class service from the moment we pulled up for valet service. This is also a good place to "spot" celebrities as well! We ran into Larry King and Martin Sheen in the lobby. The hotel itself was very beautiful and classy, everyone was very professional that you didn't even have to lift a finger for anything. We had a king size room with a beautiful view of downtown Michigan Ave! Very spacious room with desk/chair, huge flat screen TV, one side of our room was all windows with that gorgeous view of the courtyard off of Michigan Ave. The bathroom was spectacular, his and hers sinks, shower with double heads and a jacuzzi type tube that had double sliding doors that opened into the room to catch the view. My husband did check out the pool which was just a lap pool and they also had a hot tub too. This hotel was right in the heart of everything, great location to variety of restaurants and of course Miracle Mile for shopping! I would give this hotel 5 stars!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our long weekend stay at the Park Hyatt was wonderful. Arrival and check-in is very personalized and informative. We felt like they were expecting us! The common areas are more like a home than a hotel lobby. The complimentary hot beverages in the library are a nice touch. Our corner room on the 16th floor is around the corner from the elevator yet quite. The king size bed made up with featherbed and luxurious linens is remarkably comfortable. The lighting is perfect with dimmers on many switches. There’s a long window seat where you can spend the mornings watching the city come to life. The dresser and closets have ample storage. The bathrobes are fluffy and cozy. The bathroom is a delight with lots of super soft towels. The super nice shower has great water pressure. The soaking tub is fantastic. The amenities, especially the conditioner, are top notch.
The hotel is located right in the middle of the high-end shopping area and right between the three most famous spots for Chicago deep dish pizza. Plus it’s very convenient for transit users.
We would love to return!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple