“Windy City Park Hyatt”

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #15 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The perfect hotel in the city, the Park Hyatt literally watches over the old watertower with some spectacular views of Lake Michigan. Shopping Michigan Ave., then RL for lunch (reservations highly recommended), Roy's for dinner, and the chocolate bar at The Peninsula make for a wonderful day. Brunch at No Mi before a healthy walk to Navy Pier, Millenium Park, or the Art Institute finish off a great stay in a wonderful city. The rooms are luxurious, the staff discreet and polite, and the service in very good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Walter B, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your gracious comments about your stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our location and the attentiveness of our staff. We are delighted to host you and pleased to help make your experience in Chicago truly memorable.

We hope to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago.

Warm Regards,
Walter Brindell

Reviewed 24 April 2013

we have stayed at the park hyatt chicago several times over the years. we have also stayed at many other well known hotels when we go downtown (from the northern suburbs). this place is really elegant, and if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed. great service, by professionals, in an excellent facility. the pool is great, restaurant great, and rooms great.
my only complaint is the "pet friendly" policy. one guest actually had his dog at (thankfully not in) the pool, roaming the deck. i thought this was really bizarre for such a property. really bizarre.
if you can afford it, and avoid the animals, this place is top notch.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Great location, close to attractions, shopping and restaurants. Beautifully appointed room with a wonderful bath and tub. High quality bath amenities. The only downside of my room was the lack of privacy given its proximity to huge building next door. Definitely recommend

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 21 April 2013

After numerous trips to Chicago in which we stayed at the Peninsula, we stayed at the Park Hyatt. They upgraded our room to a 9TH floor view overlooking the water tower. The room was comfortable and well appointed. The NoMi restaurant on the 7th floor served incredible food and had a great happy hour. For half the price of our usual room at the Peninsula, we have found a great new place to stay in the Windy City.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank michael b
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This hotel was the nicest Hyatt I have ever stayed in. The location is great. We wanted to get Book of Mormon tickets at the last moment and the concierge came through for us. Nothing was too much trouble for them. I was traveling with a friend so we wanted to get 2 double beds. The only room available had 2 twin beds. They were the biggest twin beds I have eve seen so it was not a problem at all. Great stay!

Room Tip: The higher the room the quieter it will be as it is in a very busy area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveler1213Tx
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I'd never stayed in a Park Hyatt before, and my first stay here sets a high bar for the brand. The rooms are phenomenal and very well-appointed, if a little dated in some of the finer points of the decor. That said, the Eames lounger and Geneva sound system are phenomenal touches that I was thrilled to sample. The presence of a long shoehorn and clothes brush made me feel like I was at Downton Abbey, and the powered blackout/sheer shade on the west-facing window was a great little perk. Three more details that I loved: the closet opens into the bathroom and into the hallway; the mini-bar was stocked with Matilda, one of my favorite local beers; there were bath salts (!). Take a bath. You deserve it.

Service is fantastic, and the food options made available by the presence of NoMi are amazing. I recommend one of the smoothies, and I further recommend that you get it sent up to your room. Never had a better in-room-dining experience in my life. You know how the guy usually asks you for a signature, and there's a line for a tip *and* a service fee has already been added? NONE of this happens at the Park Hyatt. The guy comes in, drops off the food where you indicate, and then hustles out the room. So good.

Dinner and breakfast are also phenomenal, but that's a separate review.

There's a house car that you can schedule on the 1/2 hour, and it's complimentary. Bring a few bucks to tip the guy, though.

Stay here, it's great.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Water Tower side have good morning sun
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank clayparkerjones

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Park Hyatt Chicago and your complimentary review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the amenities we provide and personal touches to your visit.

We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Regards,
Walter Brindell

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Chicago is a world-class city full of wonderful top-tier hotels. That being said, the Park Hyatt is a very solid choice and although there wasn't anything wrong per se with the property, service, or amenities, I just wasn't floored. (Disclaimer: I am a self-professed hotel snob...)

I spend a GREAT deal of time, my boss and boyfriend would argue too much time obsessing over where to stay. In Chicago, within this price category, the choice came down to the Waldorf Astoria and the Park Hyatt. I chose the Park Hyatt because of a special "Third Night Complimentary" offer through my Amex Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts: a Park King Deluxe with an outdoor terrace.

I had a terribly late flight arriving into Chicago Midway Airport at 11:30pm. No luggage or traffic meant a speedy arrival at the hotel. Yes it was 12:15 am on a Tuesday morning but there was no valet or bell man. Yes I had noted my late arrival in the reservations and also called that afternoon alerting the front desk of my late check-in time. It wasn't a huge deal but... small details that make a hotel truly stand out. Check-in was very quick and I allegedly received an upgrade to a terrace room (note: an end room not a corner room), although I'm almost certain I just merely received the room I booked. Again, I'm not expecting freebies and FHR doesn't guarantee the upgrade but please don't patronize me. I know what room I booked. I would have appreciated an honest "We didn't have an upgrade available because we are at full capacity."

Anyways, the hotel tower has a very small skinny footprint so only a handful of rooms on each floor. My room (308) was very clean and modern but has a quasi-remodeled look. The tufted scallop-shaped headboard, black granite, and cherry wood furniture looks like from the 1990s but some key pieces like the Geneva Sound dock, glass and steel table, and Eames chair has the quintessential modern look. It has great bones for a hotel of its age, large closets, 5 piece fixture bathroom (double sinks, enormous tub [fits two], stand-alone shower stall with dual heads, and separate water closet) and large closet. The closet had a fantastic lint brush, laptop safe, hairdryer, toothbrush/toothpaste and a shoe buffer. There's a long upholstered built-in bench at the entrance and the bed was very comfortable. The terrace was a decent size but unfurnished but was much too cold those days. There was a nice view of the historic Water Tower.

I had my first breakfast at Nomi on the seventh floor. Lots of business types and a beautiful view of the Water Tower again. Their version of Eggs Benedict and fruit plate was very decent. Service was very accommodating. After breakfast I had a massage at the Nomi spa. Great service, and nice massage but very small facilities. There's only two treatment rooms: a single and a couples room. It was again nice just don't expect a sprawling Spa at Encore Las Vegas. The pool looked beautiful and there was a steam room, lockers, and showers as well open to hotel guests without a spa appointment.

Daily housekeeping kept the room very neat and clean. Turndown was always performed nightly on time. Toiletries were always well stocked and replenished including the bath salts next to the tub. Breakfast the second morning was served through room service and was very good. Simply presented on a tray and very fresh fruit and pastries.

I checked out the last morning at 4:00 am and met the most pleasant Front Desk agent. She handled everything extremely well. Kudos to her but I don't remember her name....

Overall, I know there weren't any negative issues to fault but at the same time, there wasn't anything that stood out or really made my stay memorable enough to try again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo