“Gold Coast Suite for birthday celebration!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #7 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Gold Coast Suite for birthday celebration!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I spent one night here in the Gold Coast Suite for my birthday. My husband booked it as a surprise, and invited five of my closest girlfriends and sisters for a birthday celebration. The Gold Coast Suite was beautiful--on the 15th floor- with a view of Lake Michigan in the distance.

The suite contained: one large master bedroom with a king sized bed, one large, luxurious master bathroom, a separate half bath, kitchenette with a sink, a glass table for eating, and a large living room with a view of Lake Michigan. The ladies slept in an adjoining room with 2 beds and on the couch in the suite's living room. One of my favorite parts of the master bathroom was the vanity. The wallpaper is a woven textured off white pattern with flecks of gold--very pretty. There is a heavy glass or acrylic tea light holder near the bath tub--it seemed to weigh as much as a bowling ball--I appreciated the quality. There was also a small TV built into the wall near the sink, so on the hotel channel, we could listen to classical music as we were in the bathroom.

In the morning, we had brunch at NOMI, and the interior design is lovely. Be sure to look up at the leather trimmed ceiling. The tables themselves seem to have leather, or some kind of fake leather, on them as well. We shared banana bread as an appetizer, which was beautifully presented and accompanied by a thick slice of banana that had been caramelized on top with a blow torch.
I had Eggs Benedict, which was delicious.

My father stayed on the 14th floor, in a standard room, and even that was beautiful. The bathtub was separated from the bedroom with what looked like wooden shutters. The shutters could be pushed back so that the person in the bathtub could watch TV or talk to the person on the bed. How neat!

One negative: We had actually booked another bedroom, so that the ladies wouldn't have to share a bed, but the key to that extra room didn't work. Since we were in the middle of a party, we didn't bother to ask about this, and in the morning, simply asked the front desk to remove the charge for that extra room, as the key didn't work. There was some push back from the front desk on this, but ultimately, they removed the charge for that extra room to which we never had access.

At check in, the front lounge had an unattractive art exhibit with a bunch of cardboard boxes glued to the wall. It was probably one of the ugliest works of modern art I've ever seen. We weren't sure if it was just construction, or if it was actually art. And we had an interior designer among us, who also agreed that it was very odd looking.

Actually, I like the Blue Duck Tavern for breakfast/brunch in the Washington DC Park Hyatt more than the NOMI. The Blue Duck Tavern offers eggs benedict with real crab meat and it comes with a side of fresh greens.

But, as we only stayed one night, I wasn't able to fully explore the hotel. I didn't get to see the pool area.

In the waiting area at the front door, be sure to go around the corner to get a cup of self serve complimentary tea or coffee.

The location is great. Just around the corner are the Hershey store, Ghiradelli shop (chocolate), Top Shop (young women's clothing). We stopped by Anthropologie and Banana Republic (clothing), all within walking distance. My friends picked up small birthday tarts from Belgian chocolatier Leonidas, also close by.

Yes, I'd come back here, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the standard room.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lea A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great Staff here at the Park Hyatt in Chicago. This is the fourth different Park Hyatt we have stayed this year. The service is amazing at all of them. Hyatt does an amazing job training their employees! We also stay at many other brands and Hyatt has the best service across all the brands. Our room was facing the water tower which was very nice. The breakfast at Nomi is also very good. We will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lanzmo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a wonderful stay. Customer service was superb when there was a misunderstanding. Received quick reply on Twitter from Hotel representative and call from general manager. Great complimentary snacks in lobby, complimentary car service in downtown. The rooms are marvelous with huge windows, great room and bathroom with huge tub! NOMI is about $30/p but the best breakfast ever! Overall outstanding stay and customer service was best ever. Diamond status receives complimentary breakfast at NOMI (our $70 bill was comped, tip is not comped). Room 1706 lake view, king.

Room Tip: king, lake view, request room 1706
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

It has been a dream of mine to stay here since I discovered Ghiradelli's just around the corner years ago and have strolled by on my way for a chocolate fix. City Dog--the best hole-in-the-wall for Chicago hotdogs--is a few minutes' walk. Everything is either within walking distance or a short cab ride away.
My husband surprised me by splurging on rooms booked through an online third party service. It was still pricey but man is it worth it. They started taking care of us before I even got there by emailing me about room requests. Everyone was perky, welcoming, and polite, from the chatty housekeeper who brought our rollaways to the clerk who helped with directions.
The pool is designed as a lap pool but kids played in it when I visited it with my own. The hottub is small but perfect temperature-wise.
Comfy beds, accurate thermostat, luxurious bathrooms that can be practical and romantic with sliding doors that open the soaker tub to the bed area and the flats reen tv, but I can see where that might be a little odd. (We stayed in 2 king rooms, a large room with a king bed). A big plus was the long window seat that my daughters took turns sleeping on. The blinds are motorized so you can keep the privacy one down but still get light or use the blackout one too.

• Stayed March 2014
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for a friend's wedding, and we were very pleased with the hotel. For being a large downtown hotel, the Park Hyatt still exudes a boutique feel. When we arrived late on Friday night, we headed to NoMI lounge. The outdoor area (NoMI Garden) was still lively, and we got a high-top table right on the corner, overlooking the busy streets below. The accommodations were wonderful and the beds were quite comfortable. The service was excellent all weekend long. Even though the Park Hyatt is just off Michigan Ave, the location is still fantastic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelcouple2004
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I came here for valentine's day for a two night stay(which is also special to us, due to the fact he proposed to me on this day, the year of 2011). We were greeted with a smile from the bellman department, female desk clerk that checked us in, the male staff that brought the DVD player to the room, the male staff that brought the microwave to the room, the female housekeeper(Joyce) that pressed my husband's suit, the two spa worker's that did our services, and the waiter(Tom) at the resturant.They were very nice and professional from the moment we came into contact with them, so the others can learn a thing or two from them. The room was nice, but could have been bigger(the room similar in Canada at the Hilton was). On Friday evening I called with questions about a DVD player, the receptionist on the phone had a bad attitude, then rushed me off the phone, I received a rush reponse with the male desk clerk as well when asking the next day for DVD, Microwave, and pressing service. I had to tell the male desk clerk I had one more request before he hung up. We were not impressed with the customer service from these two individuals. We went to breakfast in the hotel resturant, which the service and food was very good, they did mess up with our order, but corrected it with a smile. Next we were on our way to the spa for services, we went to ask questions around 11:10am, the female receptionist informed us we were to early(appointment was at 11:30am), then she asked if we were going to use the faculity now(pool,etc), my husband response was to use it after our services, she looked surpised, but we couldn't figure out why, because surely she didn't think we were only going to use it for 15 minutes only. Now, they did get me in for my pedicure service on Saturday to be with husband, due to the fact, they were booked when I first called to make appointment, so I do appreciate it, but I thought she didn't give us a welcoming feeling when we first came into the spa, later her personality got a little bit better(not too real). Now the young ladies that did our services, they were a charm. We enjoyed their company and the service they performed. However, the male worker at the spa that checked us out, it was a different story for him. He first tried to rush my husband to pay for the bill before I came out of the locker room(we were guest at the hotel, so where were we going to go?)! Then he added the staff gratuity on for us, but without asking us first. I kindly let him know I had already gave the young lady, who did my pedicure her tip already. So the nerve of him, I have never been to a spa that have done this without letting the customer know or even asked first! My husband responded as well and later we had a discussion about our service at the spa with some of the workers. Then it was time for dinner at 8:45pm at the hotel resturant, we arrived to be informed it was going to be about 20 minutes before we get a table, unless we could eat in the lounge. I informed the female host, that I didn't want to eat in the lounge since I ate there earlier for breakfast. So we waited well past 20 minutes for a table and once again we were not impress, of this five star hotel.

Green Features: Our room was cold , due to a drift coming from upper wall opening, we could not adjust the room temperature higher, it was not working right . However, when the male staff came with the DVD player, he got it to go a little higher, but not much, and he felt the drift in the room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
calbin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I went to the Park Hyatt in January 2014 for our anniversary. The place is amazing and it is no wonder it gets such great reviews. They definitely offer great service and wonderful quality. The elevators in the lobby even open without having to push the button. All of the staff did their best to make our anniversary a great experience. They even delivered a bottle of champagne and some apples. We will definitely be staying here again the next time we are in Chicago. My new favorite hotel!

It can be a little loud by the street but I am a light sleeper and didn't have any issues with sleeping during the night.

Room Tip: Be higher up to be away from the noise of the traffic.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple