“Excellent Location, Luxury Property, Minor Issues”
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend stay with my wife. I am a Hyatt Diamond member.

Location: The hotel is located in a convenient spot along Michigan Avenue and Chicago Avenue. We took a taxi from Midway Airport and that took about 30 minutes with light traffic. The fare was about $35. The nice thing about this property is the ability to walk to some of the major attractions nearby. The only downside is if you're looking to spend time further south in the areas of Grant Park, Shedd Aquarium, and Soldier Field. That's quite a walk and not recommended during the winter. Fortunately, taxis are plentiful if you don't feel like walking.

Check-In: We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and it was a little busy, so we had to wait about 5-10 minutes to check in. The front desk staff was professional and explained all of the features, including the Hyatt Diamond amenity. Unfortunately, the Diamond amenity was never delivered so I had to call down later that evening and they took care of it then. When we went up to our room, there was a housekeeping keycard in the slot, so we were a bit confused and went down to the front desk. Apparently, they were not quite finished cleaning the room, so we had to wait a bit.

Property/Room: The property was impressive and certainly fit the category as a luxury hotel. This was my first stay at a Park Hyatt property and the distinction was pretty clear. The decor was nice and everything was clean and in good condition. The only inconvenience was the fact that there were 2 elevators for the hotel and one of them was under maintenance during our entire stay. So we usually had to wait a few minutes just to go up or down, as it had to pick up everyone along the way. We booked a standard King bedroom using the Hyatt credit card free nights and received an upgrade to a lake view room due to my Hyatt Diamond status. That was a nice bonus. The room was very plush and the furnishings were high end. The bathroom was huge and had a big soaking tub and separate walk-in shower. The bed was comfortable and I liked the window seat which offered a great view of the city. I would only point out a couple of minor negatives - a connecting room door to our neighbor (could sometimes hear their TV and conversations) and the fact that you will hear sirens all night from fire engines and ambulances. Aside from that, the hotel is quite nice and we were impressed.

Amenities: Being a Hyatt Diamond member, we were offered free breakfast in their restaurant, NoMI Kitchen, or room service. On Sunday morning, we opted to check out the restaurant and were lucky enough to score a table by the window with a great view of the water tower. The food there was excellent and I would have to rate the pancakes and sausage as some of the best I have ever had. There was no club lounge at this property, but there was a small nook downstairs that had free beverages (soda, water, coffee, cider, tea) and some random snacks like mini muffins. This appeared to be open to everyone, so it was usually empty whenever we stopped by.

Service: The service from the staff in general was pretty good. The doorman was hit or miss sometimes. Housekeeping did a good job.

Overall, it was a great stay. They certainly take care of their Hyatt Diamond members. There were a few minor issues, but nothing too concerning. The excellent location and luxury feel make up for it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IntlSalesGuy

996 - 1,002 of 1,693 reviews

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Checked out of the Hyatt Regency off of Michigan Ave for the Park Hyatt. Ambulance noise was extreme at Hyatt Regency since it was across the street from Northwestern hospital emergency room. Park Hyatt while twice the cost offered great views, wonderful outdoor terrace restaurant, delicious breakfast and no outside noise. Had a long window seat to take in the lake and Michigan Ave views. Turndown service with water left at beside. A very large well appointed bathroom. I'm a Diamond with Hyatt so breakfast was included.

Room Tip: Rooms over floor 7 if facing east have lake views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChitownTravelGal
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I spent 2 nights at the Park Hyatt, and it was very, very nice. The staff was extremely friendly and professional. My room was a good size, comfortable bed, and the bath tub was great! The location was perfect, right in the middle of everything. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The higher up, the better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeaniebean13
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Now, I've been truly spoiled! This recent hotel experience has me wishing I could live at the Park Hyatt Chicago.

A Diamond suite upgrade was used for a Park Suite, a beautiful room, not much of a view as these suites are on the lower floors. Large bathrooms, all up to date tech features - just wonderful. A daily amenity was awaiting (one day, apples with Evian; next, cookies with Evian).

Pool and fitness facilities were spotless.

Concierge team (led by a wonderful Karen) were very helpful and always very professional.

Along with Ka'ana Kitchen at the Andaz Maui, NoMI restaurant here ranks up there as my absolute favorites. Every morning greeted by name (other times in the hotel might have been nice too - one small constructive improvement that should be worked on).

Again, spoiled for other upcoming trips, but much appreciated. Can't wait for a return trip to Chicago!

Room Tip: Upper floors, unless booking a Park Suite.
1  Thank TFKinPS
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Out of all the Park Hyatt Hotels that I been to, I would say that Park Hyatt Chicago is the biggest disappointment.
After checking in at the hotel, while outside, I noticed that some rooms have balconies. I checked on my phone right away, and I could see the availability in rooms with balcony. I went back into the hotel, and asked about possibility of changing/upgrading to a room with balcony, and I was told that there is no availability, then I asked to check if there is availability the following day, and I was told that yes they are available, but I was told to call the reservations and speak to them?!?!? It was obviously laziness of the person at the reception, or simple unwillingness to help, or a complete incompetence.

On my way to the room, I ran into the member of the staff that checked me in, and asked her about the situation with the balcony rooms, and she told me, that she can check it for me, but she mentioned that the only rooms that have balconies are on the 3rd floor, and as I had a lake view room, she wasn’t sure if I would want to go as low as third floor.

When I got back into my room, I double checked on my computer, and the availability for rooms with balcony was showing, basically the person that I spoke to at the reception simply lied to me!

Later, while in the room, I realised that there was no ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign anywhere in the room. Hence I wasn’t able to put one on the door!

I also noticed that there is no hotel information anywhere in the room, and no room service menu. After I called the concierge, and asked where should I look for it, and asked them to describe it to me, I wasn’t able to locate it, and one was delivered to me. Well, the state of the book… was disgusting!

When the hotel information book was delivered, I did ask about the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign, and the person delivering the book attempted to show me the location of such sign, but she failed to find it. Because It was NOT there!

Few other little details related to housekeeping, that I am not even going to mention here… Way below what is expected of a hotel that puts itself in line with top hotels in the city.

Overall the hotel’s standards are way below what it claims to be, it is overrated, overpriced for what you get, unfriendly, lazy and incompetent.

And as I was writing this, I did try calling the rooms service, and twice no one picked up the phone, and both times I was put through to a messaging service...

And one last thing, this is 2014, most hotels have coffee machines these days! I couldn't ask for one from the room service, because they don't pick up the phone, and I couldn't make one myself...

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
3  Thank Igor S
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We visit The Park Hyatt in Chicago every Christmas! It is centrally located and it's a easy walk to just about anything your heart desires to do. We especially like seeing Water Tower place which is located directly in front of the hotel. Also the Park is across the street from The John Hancock building and many find restaurants and shopping. You need to stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014

stayed in the park Hayat for 1 night for business overall experience was great especially the friendliness of the staff the one negative I would have to say is the mattress is not up to par with the rest of the property as well the rollaway they set up for us because they only had the king room available the mattress on that was really bad you really feel the springs on that but overall very nice hotel and good service