“First visit to Chicago”
Review of Raffaello Hotel

Raffaello Hotel
Ranked #106 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The hotel was wonderful. The staff were friendly and helpful in every way. The room was clean and the housekeeping were quick at getting you anything you need. The hotel bar and the restaurant at the hotel were fantastic. I just loved how friendly and accommodating everyone was to their guest. The hotel is in a great location right next to John Hancock Observatory and Oak Street beach and of course the fabulous Michigan Ave for shopping. I will be staying here every time I go to Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank czegarcia
Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed 8 October 2011

My bookclub reserved 8 rooms here for a 1 day trip to Chicago. The location was perfect and the price reasonable for that location. The staff was so helpful - we had to store our luggage because we got to the hotel before check-in time, then the next day they let us store our luggage after check-our since our train did not leave for several hours. The room was clean and comfortable and we took advantage of the coffee/bar area in the lobby. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank collegemomIowa
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This was the first visit to Chicago for my wife and I. We really enjoyed our experience. The hotel is only a block away from the Magnificent Mile so the location is about as good as you can get. The hotel was very clean as was our room. The staff were all very helpful and if we were to return to Chicago we would definitely stay here.

1  Thank Fin W
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We travel frequently and I always look on TripAdvisor for reviews before we make reservations. Unfortunately with this hotel, there was a conference in Chicago the weekend we were there on September 16 so there weren't a lot of hotel choices available when we booked our stay.

We booked two rooms for two couples with the boutique hotel. Normally I enjoy staying at a boutique hotel because the hotel is not massive and the staff are friendly. However, this boutique hotel had some disappointments that we've not experienced previously.

Pros:
- The location is great if you desire to be near Michigan Avenue. It's literally a short walk to the magnificent mile so it's very convenient.
- The price was less, especially for that location at the time. I also noticed they had a special on their website that was even better than what we paid.
- The lobby area was clean as was both rooms.

Cons:
- The staff was not very friendly throughout our visit. From the moment we arrived, we received no help with the door nor our luggage. I will explain more about the staff below.
- The elevators are very small so we had to wait for an elevator at times since they fit two people comfortably, especially if someone has luggage.
- There wasn't any place to eat for breakfast at the hotel, not even a continental breakfast choice.
- The lobby and bar area is also small so there is not a lot of seating available.
- There were very intoxicated people who who entered the hotel and were not guests. I do not know if this is because of the location of the hotel or not but the doorman had to be notified by another guest who then went to "find" the intoxicated people. Had the doorman been at the door in the first place, maybe he would have seen them come into the hotel himself.
- The fitness area was small and most of the equipment was broken, although there wasn't any signage on the equipment noting it was not working.
- Our rental car was parked in their parking lot across the street and was damaged by another vehicle in the parking lot during our stay. The manager of the parking lot said they were not responsible even though an employee of the parking lot was aware of the damage. We were not able to reach a manager at the hotel when we checked-out because the person at the front desk said that a manager was not present (poor customer service). We were given a phone number in which to call the manager at another time. After multiple calls to the manager of the hotel, who also denied any responsibility, we were provided with a credit for the parking lot fee for the night but nothing for the damage on the vehicle.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank rporta
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Note...if you are a member of Hotels.com, I've posted this review there, as well. We went to the Rafaello for Labor Day weekend. We were there a few years ago after their renovation, so we knew it was nice. We had a smaller (standard) room this time, but it was still well-appointed. The bed was very comfortable and I liked the little space between the bath and the bedroom for the mini-bar and dressing area. Other things I like: wonderful Gilchrest and Soames bath products! I liked that they didn't skimp and give you 2:1 shampoo:conditioner - I hate that. Towels were o.k., and we had plenty. For a four star hotel, we did not receive any additional amenities such as a shower cap or mending kit, however. The t.v. was great and we got an upgraded cable package with AMC and extra channels. Temperature was easy to control in the room and did not drift (which is sometimes a problem).

1  Thank dijas
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed for 2 nights

The hotel Is overpriced

The staff were totally unfriendly and completely unhelpful - I had to ring and make bookings myself
I operate a hotel myself and for a hotel that considers itself a boutique hotel I was most astonished

Our room was very small and the tv didn't work so struggled to keep the children occupied in the rooms while getting ready to go out

Over all I felt the door staff were good perhaps tipping them generously helped

I would certainly not stay here again as it was a last minute visit to Chicago and will stay elsewhere next time

• Stayed: September 2011
JermaineAnderson, General Manager at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thank you for your review. It’s disappointing to read that our staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. All of our staff has committed to providing 100% guest satisfaction to each guest daily. Also, please accept my apologies for the malfunctioning television; I hope we were able to rectify the issues after you reported it.

I will use this review as a training tool with our staff. When your travels bring you back to Chicago, please contact me directly. I’m sure if given a second chance you will fall in love with our wonderful hotel.

Highest regards,
Jermaine

Reviewed 22 September 2011

horrible experience.
people that work in the hotel are not very nice. we asked for some tourism information and a map and we were told to take brochures from the desk, that all we had to know was there.
situation: regular, just near john hancock observatory, far away from other
Rooms were quite dirty and with a lot of noice, we had problems to sleep at night.

2  Thank sonido321
JermaineAnderson, General Manager at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for your review. We have a great boutique hotel located directly across from the John Hancock. Because we are a boutique, our staff is more than willing to assist any guest with request. While we do recommend guest who are not familiar with the city take a map to help with their adventure of our wonderful city. I was shocked to hear the staff did not assist you. I will use this review as a training tool for all staff members.
If you have a moment please contact me at the hotels mainline. I would like to discuss your stay in details and see how we can win you back as a guest.

Highest regards,