“Unexpected gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Miami, Florida
“Unexpected gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

During a valentines weekend trip with my wife to New York, bad weather left us stranded in Chicago for a day. Having no reservations, I called the the first Marriott I came across in a quick Google search. I had no high hopes regarding price since this was a last minute request but I was pleasantly surprised by the price for the room that was available immediately. After a 40 minute taxi ride (traffic) from O'Hare were were in the very well appointed lobby. The staff were extremely courteous and were were given a corner room with a king bed. We were very happy with the room , the bed was extremely comfortable and everything was clean and orderly. The windows in our room were very large and offered good views of the city. The hotel was very nicely situated, with numerous places to eat in and around the building. There is a Starbucks located downstairs which was very nice. It is also located right next to the metro (very convenient) and was pleasantly about a 3 minute walk from the Cloud Gate. Finally the hotel had a car service for transportation back to O'Hare which was much nicer than a taxi. This was my first chance to get out and explore Chicago and it was a wonderful experience. It is not often I am delighted to have had my flight canceled.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Airai-Palau, thank you for the 5 star review! We hope to welcome you back again very soon, and next time with gorgeous weather so you can explore our fabulous city. I am extremely pleased to read that every aspect of your stay exceeded your expectations! See you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We came to Chicago for a wedding and stayed 3 nights at the Renaissance. We had stayed in this hotel a few years ago and remembered that we enjoyed our stay. We were surprised at the condition of the hotel, needs to be refreshed to say the least... Our first issue was they only provide one bath towel per person, to make that worse, a very thin towel... Then I proceed to take a shower on arrival and I find myself in standing water 2 inches deep because the bathtub drain is partially plugged. I don't know why hotels don't do preventative maintenance on this, but the hotel maintenance folks fixed it after we left for the rehearsal dinner. We came back to our room and put the TV on, signal and quality was on and off and not all channels were HD... Can't imagine why a hotel in downtown Chicago can't get a great signal for their satellite or whatever cable system they subscribe to, but the constant interruption made TV watching unbearable. Called the desk about it and they just said that happens sometimes because of weather or wind... Lastly, the coffee shop downstairs had odd operating hours, closed after 1 pm and on Sundays. The coffee in the room was horrible and they only gave us one serving of regular, we had to ask for more (hence our need to head down the elevator to the coffee shop that closes when you need them!).

Anyway, the bed was nice, it was extremely cold that weekend and the windows seemed to let quite a bit of the cold to come through... Again maintenance! There was no mini bar in the room (1304), strange!

Upon checking out, the desk person asked how our stay was and I described my concerns and experience and all she said was we are sorry that turned out to be the case. I have never seen a lower level of customer care...

We were very disappointed and will not stay here again, many better choices out there! Bye bye Renaissance and Marriott!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
As I am disappointed that your stay with us had a few areas of improvement, I would like to thank you for your comments. I would be delighted to welcome you back to show you a flawless stay. As I mentioned via e-mail in response to your Guest Satisfaction Survey the stay you described is unacceptable and is not a typical experience at our hotel. I hope you are able to give us a second chance to redeem ourselves, and please feel free to reach out to me directly when you book your next stay, so I can ensure it will be a perfect 10!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel is a great location with what I needed for a week long business trip. The room and bathroom were both spacious. Love the bedding. The view of the river was outstanding, and the price was right. The scenting of the main and elevator lobbies was a nice touch. The hotel lounge is classy with a great vibe. Not raucous, but not sleepy either. The fitness center isn't large, but it had what I needed for a well-rounded workout. Only wish would be for a classier restaurant on premises. What was available had a limited menu or bright diner lighting. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Julie,
Thank you so much for the raging review. I am happy to see that your stay was flawless and we can’t wait to welcome you back. Stay warm, we hope to see you again very soon!
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Great location close to the Merchandise Mart and I had a nice room, clean and comfortable bed, clean bathroom. Would prefer a real shower not one in a tub, but that is minor. Really would prefer a comfortable office chair at the desk for working in the room.

Check in was easy, but no restaurant in the hotel other than Tapas junk in the bar and that was disappointing....left me walking down the street in zero degree weather for dinner.

The other disappointment was they never called for my wake-up call nor delivered my pre-ordered breakfast until I called down to the manager. I give him credit...he had a breakfast sent up immediately and for free. So I will give this place another try and see if we can improve upon the experience....because it was clean, comfortable, and in a great location.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us. I would like to apologize that you did not receive your wakeup call and breakfast was not delivered. This is unacceptable, and I will definitely look into this with the appropriate managers at our hotel. I am glad to see that you will stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me when you return, as I will ensure your next stay is flawless! One quick note, we do have a restaurant located on our second floor called “Great Street” and “Bar Novo” is located on our fist level. I hope when you return you are able to visit Great Street as they have a lovely menu!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I typically stay at this hotel for 1-2 night business trips. My stay usually involves getting in late or getting in early which has never been a problem. There is an "Aroma" cafe in the lobby with decent coffee and snacks for the morning. I've never had breakfast at the restaurant, but room service breakfast is usually very good. The location is terrific for any activities in the loop or in River north. There are several trains that run withing a few blocks of the hotel. The hotel is also linked internally with some other restaurants and amenities and there is an entrance to the pedway right outside the hotel. Just over the river in River North are a bunch of great restaurants and bars. There are also lots of convenient eating choices near by like Chik-fil-A and subway and pottbelly, etc.

The service in general is excellent, the people are friendly, welcoming, accommodating, etc. The entrance is easy with the large driveway - easy to get in-and-out (not in street traffic) and plenty of cabs usually on hand. I've not been to the bar, but it looks really nice and often has a decent crowd most week nights. The lobby is not overly big, but very functional and useful for impromptu calls, etc. Internet in the hotel works well. Its not cheap, but it comes included in my corporate rate so I always use it when staying there.

The rooms are fairly well appointed. I've stayed in king rooms on various floors. Some have views of the river which is nice - others are on the back side. The room are generally quiet as far as other guests and hallways are concerned. On certain side of the building you are overlooking the El which might be a problem for people sensitive to noise, but doesn't bother me. The bathrooms have decent toiletries - separate shampoo and conditioner which my wife find important. The moisturizer/body lotion sometimes seems recycled which is gross, but I don't use that anyway.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Guest comments like yours allow us to see what we are doing right, and what can be improved at our property. I especially like the part of your review regarding staff service. We always want to make you feel like you are at home while you are traveling. I will be sure to share your comments with the hotel staff. Thank you again for taking the time to leave us feedback, and we cannot wait for your return! Stay Warm!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I love this hotel. It is situated so centrally to everything in Chicago, is clean and the staff are terrific. The rooms are comfy, clean and spacious. True Marriott standards! A great place to stay if going to house of blues or a broadway show.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy M
Tracy-
Thank you for the fabulous review! Your comments are exactly what we strive for as hoteliers and I will personally share your comments with our team. Comments like yours are a joy to share with the staff so thank you! We look forward to your return!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I've stayed here a few times, while in town for work and it's definitely worth the cost. The location is right in the middle of downtown, so many things are within walking distance. The concierge lounge is pretty nice too if you're able to get access.

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Chicago for business.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted to see that you would recommend our hotel to anyone traveling in Chicago, and that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are anticipating a guest room renovation at the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015, so be sure to visit us again as we have much to look forward to in the near future! Thank you again for the feedback and try to stay warm!