“Renaissance On The River” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Springfield, Virginia
“Renaissance On The River”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

One of the best Renaissance hotels I've stayed at. Convenient to the shops on North Michigan, lots of restaurants, and theatre. Staff is awesome. Facility is great, with a nice lounge, guest rooms, gym, and indoor pool. One drawback is the Concierge Lounge which was a let down. Over priced drinks and not so great breakfast or evening snacks, even though the food is complimentary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting the river.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom R
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Tom, thank you for the great review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay! It looks like you were able to get out and explore Chicago, I hope our expert navigators recommended indigenous finds for you to explore! See you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I love this hotel and stay here every time I'm in town. The staff is great. They upgraded me to a suite because I stay there often and it was my birthday. The restaurant is excellent, and the bar is a fun place to just hang out and have a couple of drinks with friends. The hotel is in walking distance to several shows and excellent shopping.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer F
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Jennifer,
thank you for the fabulous review, I am so glad you celebrated your birthday with us! We can;t wait for you to return!
East Fishkill, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Recently stayed for two nights during a business trip to Chicago. The check-in staff was friendly and courteous. Weather was a bit disappointing, but staff was very helpful and made the trip more pleasant. Rooms were clean. Beds were extremely comfortable. The hallway was a bit noisy in the evenings, but overall very happy with my stay. Will stay at this hotel on future business trips.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leesmom
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for the fabulous review on Trip Advisor! We appreciate all of your comments, and we are anxiously awaiting warm weather too!! We hope you are able to return in the near future and explore our fabulous city! See you soon!
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we didn't get to see a lot more of Chicago than this hotel but it was an easy place to get to on the blue line from the airport (with a toddler and a baby, so a challenging combination), the room and beds were large and comfortable for a family and the staff were incredibly helpful. The tapas in the bar downstairs isn't brilliant but it's edible. A great place to stay and I'd choose it again when hopefully we'll have more time to explore.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments about staff service! I am pleased to see that you will be joining us again when you have time to explore Chicago! Prior to your return, feel free to contact us at 312-372-7200 and ask to speak with one of our expert navigators. Our expert navigators act as our lead concierge and can help you uncover various hidden gems in our city, to make your trip one you won’t soon forget! From dining, shopping, sightseeing, our expert navigators know the best indigenous places to explore. See you again soon.
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I am en elite Marriott member and booked this deal through Priceline. I came up for the auto show and got a really good deal and decided to go for it. I am an extreme Marriott loyalist and have stayed in Marriott's across the country. This includes nearly every brand, from Courtyard, Marriott, Autograph Collection, and more. I have always been intrigued by the Renaissance brand and finally decided to stay. However, I must say that this trip has made me reconsider ever staying in another Renaissance. Upon check in I asked for a high floor and a nice view. The lady was incredibly helpful and seemed to accommodate my request. However, when I got to my room it was a terrible view, albeit a high floor. After unpacking I heard an odd noise and soon discovered that it was the EL train directly below at the base of the hotel. It was the Red Line which is the train the runs most frequently and keeps the longest hours. The noise was unbearable and I didn't sleep a wink. After investigation, I realized that over half the hotel had to have this same problem. Basically, if you do not get a river view room, you get the EL -- that is just the way the building is set up. It perplexes me that I did not come across a review noting this noise pollution.

Further, the bathroom was incredibly dated, and in a bad way. The pool was small, but I suppose it is a luxury to have one in Chicago anyway. The only positive thing I can say is that the location is great. We had tickets to the Goodman and it took 2 minutes to walk there. Any theater is very close, and the start of the Mag Mile is mere blocks away. Overall, very disappointed, however.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view to avoid EL noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mkspencer1
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments are extremely important to us, and we use your comments to ensure we deliver the best staff service possible. I would like to apologize that the noise from the EL kept you up. I know that must have been extremely frustrating, as a good night sleep is something that should be expected when you stay with us. I would like to invite you back again to visit us, so that I can ensure your stay is a perfect 10. Please do not hesitate to contact me when you return, and I will personally ensure you have a restful night sleep, and a stay that will “WOW” you!

I do have good news regarding the rooms; we are expecting a guest room renovation hopefully within 1 year! Hopefully when you return, we will have a crisp new room and a stay that will make you loyal to renaissance!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel itself is excruciating to find if you are using a GPS and driving. It would be better to arrive by helicopter. A room upgrade is the best thing here -huge rooms and a bathroom the size of most people's kitchens. Views of the river are great and food at the club was very good but the staff was not as personable in their service as some other hotels downtown Chicago

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I am sorry to see that you had trouble locating our hotel; I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. Some GPS systems direct you to lower Wacker Dr. so when you return try to type in 1 W Upper Wacker Dr., that should direct you right to our front drive. I am delighted that you enjoyed an upgraded room with a view, hopefully that made your experience with us worth coming back! We hope to see you again soon!
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Two night business stay. Very modern, centrally located option downtown. Rooms were large, comfortable and what you would expect from a Renaissance hotel. Lobby bar was very inviting...only slight negative was the gym which is a bit on the small size for a hotel this large. That being said, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your kind comments! Your feedback is extremely important to us and we hope to see you again in the very near future!