“Primo location for everything”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Primo location for everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here 5 nights in March, and would definitely come back. It is one block to the iconic Chicago theater & Macy's, and 3 blocks from the Mag Mile. There is a great walgreens a block away as well, with a fab liquor selection & cold medicine selection(for emergencies!)

We could see both the Chicago river and the Chicago theater from our room, and we were right across from The Wit's top floor bar which was hopping!

We have never really used a concierge before, but Suzie was the BEST! She helped us out every day, knew us by name and found us a great Italian restaurant, connected me with a hair stylist, shoe shiner, super helpful with public transportation & other great nightly activities.

Our room was clean, updated with a modern/classic look and was HUGE on the 24th floor. Housekeeping was consistent and thorough, with a turn-down service in the evening as well.

On the weekend when the gold member lounge was closed, they comped us breakfast passes to the restaurant, and it was the most gorgeous view & tasty food ever.

Bar Novo is very hip & romantic with a great drink menu & "tasting" menu, we ordered a couple of dishes to share & they hit the spot.

Even though my husband's conference was at the Hyatt, we are loyal Marriott members and will continue to stay here in years ahead. Great visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to river view, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank matischer
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for the FABULOUS review! Your feedback is so important to us, and I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I will pass your comments along to my management team and ensure your kudos is passed along, and Suzie is recognized for all of her hard work. We hope to see you again very soon! Live well,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was for 10 day business trip to Chicago.
My room was spacious but had old furniture, ugly en like dirty carpets which I find rather old fashioned and unhygienic. I sow two rooms, after upgrading which did not improve the furniture only the view a bite.
It's a fairly basic hotel. Nice lobby. the staff is very helpful, but cold...could be a bit more personal.
TV has only American channels...nothing else, I would think in such a hotel brand TV. should be more international.
The Hotel furniture need urgent renovation. But It has a nice view

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Falconi66
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. Your comments are a vital part of our business, as they help us to continually improve. Unfortunately, we do not offer international TV channels, but I am happy to let you know that we are anticipating a guest room renovation within the next year or so. I hope that when you return to Chicago, you will stay with us again and we can exceed all of your expectations! Live well,
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

On the pricier end of the spectrum, this hotel provides a fantastic home away from home experience. For Marriott platinum members, there is a lounge on the 26th floor with appetizers and drink set out at no charge. There is a small bar, and you can order food from the wait staff. The beds at this hotel are phenomenal, and the maid service is frequent and rather thorough. Location is primo with many trendy bars and restaurants within walking distance. Parking is expensive, but is to be expected in an urban center like Chicago.

Room Tip: Riverside views are fantastic and highly recommended
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Will, thank you for being a loyal Platinum Marriott Reward Member! Your business is extremely important to us, and I am delighted to read that you had a marvelous stay. Please come visit us again, and thank you again for the lovely review!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

After having stayed at the Renaissance dozens of times, I've concluded the staff could be a bit more personal. The hotel has an excellent location if one needs to be in the center of activities. There is easy access to the Michigan Mile, but also accessibility to Symphony Center and Museums. Theater district is located just south of the hotel. The decor is heavy, but not worn. The hotel is clean and fashionable. The view of the river is wonderful especially from the upper floors. If you are a Marriott Reward member, be sure to tell them, as they won't ask. The hotel is wifi friendly and although there is a charge, it's very fast and up to four devices can be used without additional costs.

If you are looking for staff pampering, this is not the hotel for you. On our arrival, one person was present to deal with the car, no luggage support available until we asked and we watched the valet drive over the median with our vehicle. There is no phone call to the room by hotel management, no lobby coffee and no newspaper. Even the concierge stand lacks the typical pamphlets. When we asked for a map, despite being in a large downtown area, we were given a semi-detail of the immediate hotel area.

The Renaissance is a nice hotel, but it's pricey for the services received. If you want a centralized location with a lovely view of the river, and don't mind the cost, then stay. The staff needs to be a little more "out there" as is expected for this price-range hotel. Helpful friendly people cause one to overlook small irritations.

Room Tip: Ask for a river-view room to avoid looking a pipes and building ladders. It will cost more, but it...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kay M
Kay, thank you for taking the time to give us a detailed review. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and please know that we will use your comments to continually improve our service. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall, even though you encountered a few service issues. All guest rooms should have a coffee maker and I will follow up to see why yours did not. I hope when you return to Chicago you will stay with us again, I will ensure your next stay is a perfect 10!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my first stay in the Renaissance Chicago Hotel and I was very pleased overall.

Andy swiftly handled my check-in on Friday, March 7th with his professional, cheerful and helpful demeanor.

My room, 1026, overlooked the Chicago River and offered beautiful views, especially toward the northeast. The room was spotless and spacious (larger than I expected) with two queen beds (Andy offered me a choice between that bedding configuration and one king bed, and I told him to offer me whichever was less in demand...it didn't matter to me at all).

The bathroom was plenty spacious and also spotless. Plus it has one of the most effective exhaust systems I've witnessed in a hotel. It was extremely effective in drawing out the warm, moist air while showering. No steamy mirrors and clammy surfaces!

Equally effective was the room's HVAC system, which kept me comfortable throughout my stay. The selected temperature was maintained very well and the system was not noisy. It offered a gentle 'white noise' that was welcome given the following aspects of my stay.

Other reviewers had cautioned against rooms overlooking the "L" tracks and no doubt that's good advice. But the rooms facing the river are subject to the sirens of the many emergency vehicles that scream down either State Street or Wacker Drive. Of course that isn't the hotel's fault, and my experience may not match other guests' as no one can predict the incidence of medical emergencies from one day to the next. The room's windows offered a good bit of sound insulation but they can do only so much.

I must note that, as some other reviewers have stated, I was stunned at how much sound was audible from adjacent rooms. I can't imagine for a moment that my neighbors in 1024 were trying to be loud or that they were shouting to one another. But I could actually discern a number of words they were saying to one another, and laughter was very prominently heard. But, thankfully, they were quiet at night.

The beds were comfortable and the linens were of good quality. That, coupled with the gentle 'white noise' of the HVAC system allowed me to sleep pretty well both nights.

Must also highlight the hotel's location as superb for my needs. I was a block from the Red Line subway, two and a half blocks from the Blue Line subway, and the "L" (Brown, Orange and Purple Lines) are essentially next to the hotel. Taxis were always available either at the hotel or by hailing one at virtually any point around the property.

I did not avail myself of room service, but I ate in the Great Street Restaurant on Sunday morning. They offered a hearty buffet of delicious food that was replenished regularly. Karen, the Kitchen Supervisor, and her team did a great job and the staff I met were so helpful and pleasant! It was almost like I we had known each other for a while.

My only nitpick was relative to checking out. I had arranged a 1:00 PM checkout (standard checkout time is 12:00 Noon) and yet Housekeeping was knocking on the door, rather urgently and insistently, at 12:25 PM to inquire why I wasn't out of the room. Unfortunately I was indisposed at the moment and had to shout from the bathroom until I was understood. Not a pleasant experience and quite unnecessary. All that was required was simple and clear communication between Front Desk and Housekeeping yet that seemed to have failed.

But overall I enjoyed my stay immensely and I'll gladly consider staying at the Chicago Renaissance Hotel again. I hope that you, too, will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for the detailed review on Trip Advisor! I am pleased to see that you had so many great things to say about our hotel and staff. I will definitely share your review with my team, as your kind words are much appreciated. As for the communication issue with our reception team and style (front desk and housekeeping) you can rest assure your comments have been passed on to the appropriate leaders. We can’t wait to welcome you back!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

It's a fairly basic hotel as expected of the brand but this one is really beautiful - The best renaissance hotel I have stayed in. Friendly staff, speedy check in. My room was spacious and with a king bed. No minibar in the room but the room service choices are decent. Had the salmon with veggies and it was really well made. It's also centrally located right by the river and a stone throw away from michigan avenue. Will definitely stay here again

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and I am especially pleased with your comments about staff service! I will share your comments with our management team, and we hope to see you again!
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

All rooms had fitted, dirty carpets which I find rather old fashioned and unhygienic. The untidy bathroom, with no floor heating was a disappointment as well. Light switches and sockets were in terribly poor condition which is an unforgivable safety risk. The hotel wasn't quite up to my standards. The service was ok though and that made me rate this hotel poor rather than terrible.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Guest comments are extremely important to us, as they are used as a tool to help us continually improve our hotel. I would really like to get additional details from you if at all possible. I can be reached on my direct line at 312-795-3468. I am confident if you chose to stay with us again, you will experience the Renaissance Brand at its best!