“A good hotel: Great location and clean.”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed for two nights at the Renaissance while in Chicago for work. Overall my stay at the hotel was enjoyable. Next time I am in Chicago I would stay here again for business, I would also stay for pleasure if the price is right.

The lobby and bar areas were nice - I had a few drinks at the bar after hours with some coworkers and it was a good time.

The room itself was nice - very clean, lacking a few amenities which I would like to see (such as refrigerator) but overall the room was adequate. The sheets and bedding were comfortable. However, I did have an issue with the AC Unit where it would omit a loud screeching noise which prohibited me from sleeping the first night. The bathroom was spacious and nice.

I ordered a bottle of wine from room service one night and 5 minutes later I was informed that they did not have the wine I selected. I was informed they have a similar wine but it was more money - however, the gave it to me for the same price which was nice. Room service was quick and friendly.

The location was great, at least for my purpose. The hotel is easy to get to and centrally located. Also there are a number of close restaurants which were good.

Overall a good stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here with Wife, Son and his cousin for a weeding.
This is one of the smaller Hotels downtown which is a plus to me.
Staff treats you like family and no large crowds at desk.
Room was on 23 floor with a great view of the River and City.
You are only 2 blocks from Magnificent Mile and 4 blocks from Millennium Park.
Rent bikes from across the street and ride all over Chicago for $7.00 per 24 hour.
Only down side-Parking $60.00 at hotel but self parking is available around corner for $35.00 per night.
Will stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2326 Great view of city and high enough not to hear noise.
1  Thank Hal R
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently stayed two nights in the 1 bedroom executive suite with 1.5 bathrooms. The hotel is nice and located near many restaurants and activities. The room was large and you couldn't ask for a better view of the river. The main bathroom was huge with a separate tub and shower. The bed was very comfortable. Our room was located at the end of the hall so we didn't have any noise problems.

We had access to the club lounge on Sunday night for appetizers and dessert. They also provide free beverages except for liquor. The appetizers and desserts were very good. I can't remember the name of the night hostess, but she was very pleasant.

Since was stayed on a Saturday and Sunday the club lounge services were not available until Sunday night. I thought continental breakfast was still included with our room, but I was told since my member rewards status was not platinum the free breakfast was not included when the lounge is closed. I was surprised I had to be a platinum member when I was paying appx. $500 per night and the website says continental breakfast was included. There was nothing in our room that gave information on the club lounge or its hours for breakfast, appetizers, etc.. The hotel also charges for internet service in their rooms which surprised me.

3  Thank Lynn221972
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I held a series of meetings at the hotel, and had my family along with me for a combined business/family trip. We had a suite overlooking the river, plus a connecting room. They were spacious, comfortable and clean. The rooms and some of the hardware are starting to show their age, but everything functioned as it should. There was no ice machine on our floor, even though there was signage and space where an ice machine used to be - it appears instead of replacing it they added a sign stating ice machines are only on even numbered floors. The lounge is on the 26th floor, and had a nice breakfast. We used the pool, it was clean, but there was no hot tub (it appeared to be under construction). The staff was consistently helpful - both for my family and my meetings. Every request for assistance was dealt with quickly and courteously. My meetings went very well, and the attention and support of the hotel's staff contributed to their success. Be prepared to hear sirens from the street frequently, it seemed every hour or so there was an ambulance or fire truck going by, and the sounds carry into the meeting rooms. As with all hotels in this area, everything is pricey, especially parking, and taxes are high. Overall, a good experience, and a hotel I will utilize again in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room that overlooks the river, and is on an even numbered floor if you want to be close to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for a nice hotel - and we struck gold when we found this hotel!

Super quality in room, a river view, excellent local restaurants (all a short walk away) and a friendly staff guarantees that we will be back again soon!

Additionally, we enjoyed visiting nearby Millennium Park, the Navy Pier and some sidewalk seating while we devoured some Chicago Pizza!!

Highly recommend this downtown hotel! You won't be disappointed!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve T
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Pleasantly surprised by our spacious junior suite overlooking the River. Well appointed room with great comfy bed and luxurious bathroom. Clean and well organized space in sitting room. Kids were very comfortable in the larger pull out sofa. They have recently sampled quite a few sleeper sofas in hotels and some hotels have downsized them to make sleeping in them impossible even for kids. The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool was a relaxing bonus. Kids enjoyed it too. Very nice for the price and location. We priced other hotels in the area that were much more expensive and feel we got the luxury feel without the big price tag. We felt we were in a nice hotel in an excellent location. I would highly recommend it and stay there again.

1  Thank Kaila1960
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

It was nice to come back and feel the freshness of this hotel. It had been in need of an update for a number of years. The lobby is bright and inviting and the rooms feel fresh and clean. Nice club level, but like all Marriott Hotels it's closed Friday afternoon for the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014