“Great Service - Convenient Location”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #67 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indianapolis
“Great Service - Convenient Location”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The staff at the Sheraton Chicago are so friendly and helpful. I was at the hotel on business during the Lollapalooza festival and as the hotel was extremely busy, the staff continued to smile and offer terrific service. Location is perfect for shopping, sight seeing and within walking distance to most. The rooms are very comfortable and large for downtown Chicago. I would highly recommend the Sheraton and would stay again in the future!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eureka, MO
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Two main issues:

(1) understaffed from the street to the front desk. Unfortunately I had to drive into the city, when I arrived there was an excessively long wait for parking. Then inside, there was a huge queue line with just one clerk working in a big city hotel. Not good (I will say friendly however)
(2) I know this is a big city, but, $49 a night to park my car when I'm staying at that hotel? Really?? That's unreasonable and a bit gouging in my opinion. Again, I realize this is Chicago, but, I'm already paying a hefty price for this outdated hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank janmic1
memphis
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My daughter, nephew and I went to Chicago for a four day visit in March 2009. We had a beautiful room, beautiful view and access to the most wonderful concierge staff ever. Our stay was wonderful and we will stay there again later on this year. It is always a plus and a must as a traveler to have a well-informed staff, to help guide you during your stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I, along with our 2 small girls, stayed here on a Saturday night. For a Sheraton, I guess I expected it to be a little bit nicer than it was. When we first walked in our room I noticed it didn't smell very good. I also found 2 black hairs in the bathtub. I'm the kind of person that gets grossed out by these kinds of things. Everything else was pretty clean, but the carpet could have been vacuumed. The beds and pillows were outstanding! After all, you go to a hotel to get a good night's rest, right? It was perfect for that:) The pool on the 7th floor is really cool too! Overall, a decent place to stay but if i am going to be spending a lot of money to stay overnight in downtown Chicago, I would probably choose something else.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We have found this hotel to have a great location...on the Chicago River and just a couple of blocks to Michigan Avenue. We called guest servces for several requests (my daugher forgot her toothbrush for one) and they were gracious in fulfilling our request and fast in their delivery. We were able to access the Club Lounge for warm food in the evening and breakfast in the morning. The staff in the evening were exceptional-warm, friendly and professional. Great beds!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Gary, Indiana
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The functionality of the search and booking system is good, so they get an extra star. BUT I searched for a room and found one that was priced $196 per night. This room had a note that says "Book Now And Save 20% - Fully Prepaid. Non-refundable..". So I'm thinking $196 - 20% = approx. $160. Cool! NOT! I continue through the process and after booking, it still showed $196. WTH? I called the number, and they tell me that price is already the discounted price! I called twice and both ladies (if that's the correct thing to call them) got really snotty with me! The second 'lady', "We have a legal team and our website is worded in a certain way by law as to not confuse our customers, so it's not our fault that you misinterpreted our website." and blew me off with "if you have any concerns other than the issue you are inquiring about, I'll be glad to assist you." in a snotty voice. Huh? Am I supposed to feel threatened? Plus, how is this a misinterpretation? Price: $196 Note:"Book Now And Save 20% - Fully Prepaid. Non-refundable.." Nothing more straight forward than that, I wouldn't think. Long story short(er), I RE-read all the fine print on their site and nowhere does it say $196 is the price that already includes the -$20, not even in the "Get complete details about this rate, taxes and other charges" link! I don't ever mind being proven wrong, so when I get there, I will ask someone to show me where it says the price already includes the discount because it must be hidden pretty well if it is indeed on their site somewhere. I also have a copy of their entire website, just so I can get a laugh if they've changed it before I get there. :-) I understand some things can be misleading, and it sucks, but based mainly on their attitudes on the phone, no more Sheraton for me after this one! This will be my first Sheraton visit and I chose it because I thought they held themselves to a somewhat higher than average standard, but I guess that makes me wrong about yet another thing.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel last week for four nights and had a great time. The hotel was clean and the service was great. The reason I am writing this review is just to let others know the WiFi was horrendous. The main lobby, the "Link" in the lower lobby even in the Club Lounge on the 33rd floor. I was only able to get on once. The concierge said that it had been that way for months and that I could possibly get a reduced rate for service in my room which seemed like a bit of a scam in my opinion. Also found the 2 PC in the lounge and however many in the Links to be quite busy as there were a few conventions going on so while I did use them often had to wait. When wanting to check tour times and set our schedule for the day it did become a bit frustrating.On another note, while I did not attempt to use my cell phone I did hear from a few other guests that they found it difficult to get a signal.
All in all this would not deter me from staying here again I just wanted to pass my feedback along.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
DanitaCEO, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear Susannah,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience as a guest of our hotel and while you had a good experience, I am sorry that there was anything that caused your visit to be less than great!

I appreciate the comments about the internet access in the hotel and have asked our IT team to investigate and make the corrections necessary to ensure that our guests are able to enjoy internet and telephone access without the difficulties you experienced. I am confident that on your next visit you will find the internet easy to access and enjoy!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Warmest regards,