“I expected a lot and this hotel failed to perform in many ways” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #66 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Walla Walla, Washington
“I expected a lot and this hotel failed to perform in many ways”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

THIS REVIEW WAS SENT TO THE SHERATON ONE WEEK BEFORE I POSTED IT SO THEY COULD RESPOND. They did not.

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Towers for a conference. We arrived on Saturday the 5th and checked out on Wednesday the 9th. The hotel is really beautifully located for our needs. It is right on the river with easy walking access to the subway. There is a Dominick’s (Safeway) about a block away as well as the most amazing store, Fox & Obel (think Whole Foods) a block the other. Millennium park is just a few block away as is Navy Pier. It was an interesting stay, overall not unpleasant but it did have its moments. Let me run you through it chronologically.
Hotel:
We arrived at the hotel a little bit after 4 in the afternoon. Check in time for this hotel is 3. We waited our turn and when I got to the counter the man at the registration desk told me that there were no King rooms available yet (still being cleaned?) but we could wait or he could but us into a double room. I admit I ASSUMED this meant 2 queens, I was wrong but we will get to this. It was here that I discovered that I had apparently left my ID on the plane to Chicago. The deskman was willing to accept my work ID and work credit card to check in. we opted for the double room to avoid the wait. He did his thing and stood there looking at us. We looked back. Finally he said, “Is there anything else?” I said not if you are done with us and we went off to our room. I would note that one of our travelling partners RIGHT BEHIND US was promptly given a king room.
When we got to our room I immediately got on with the airline to see if they could locate my ID. While I was doing that my wife noticed that there were no sheets on the bed! Well, I was busy but between calls I phoned to the customer service line and told them our predicament and I went back to my ID crisis.
When I finished with the airline I took a look around the room. Two DOUBLE beds, big gobs of caulk in the shower, no toiletries on the counter, no tops sheets, a big red stain on one of the white bedspreads and a run in the carpet are what initially caught my eye. The housekeeping folks arrived telling me that they were there to handle my “emergency.” I told them I had no emergency and that I never indicated I had an emergency. Well the lady I assumed to be in charge told me that they had run out of double bed sheets and she did not want to put king sheets on the bed because we would get tangled in them and hurt ourselves (really, I cannot make this stuff up) and she could not be responsible for a guest hurting themselves. ALSO she said the fix for the stained bedspread was to TURN IT OVER!
Well, we left the room so they could attend to their work. Other than the ridiculous excuse for the sheets and the unsatisfactory answer to the bedspread these women were really pretty great in this interaction it is a tough place to be.
We decided that we were unhappy and returned to the desk. Once there we waited just moments before we met a jewel of the Sheraton staff. I do not remember her name but it was something close to Carissa. She was empathetic and quickly found us a new King room and we moved. She was great.
Our new room was in another world from our first room. It was almost beyond description because on the surface it was the same but it just felt better. The room was nice there was an honor bar (do not touch or you will pay). The bed was wonderful and the bathroom had toiletries and was well maintained. I cannot say what it was it was just better (perhaps the difference between a refreshed room and an old room).
So the room ordeal was over and we really had no problems there at all. We are housekeeping tippers and we leave notes. They left us notes back which we really enjoyed.
Concierge:
We use concierge services and the people who work this desk were really terrific. We looked to them for tickets and dining suggestions and were never left wanting. I really turned to two different people for my needs and the first was a younger gentleman whose name I did not get and the other was Marisa who assisted us with getting tickets to see a Nathan Lane and Brian Dennehy play on short notice. These folks were pleasant and helpful in all regards.
Convention Center:
I really do not want to go into great detail here but the Sheraton needs to know more than the Trip Advisor people do. This review is being sent to Sheraton before Trip Advisor so they have a chance to weigh in if they choose.
The rooms and variety of configurations are amazing. The facility itself is beautiful and functional. What more can you say about the building, it is a very nice facility with access to the river walk just outside their doors. WONDERFUL!
The people and their effort were not so much wonderful. Our conference had breakfast and lunch every day of the conference. Every, Single, Meal, I had to sort through the plates to find a clean plate. One morning an attendant stood and watched me do this. Then, when I found one and proceeded down the line he picked them up and put them on the stack again. I turned and said I took those out because they are dirty! He collected some plates and took them away. It wasn’t that they had not been cleaned, they looked like they had, and they just were not getting clean. There were attendants for every few tables, I am guessing, and the staff look like poor retirement planning refugees and a good share of them seem mad at the world, or at least mad at us.
One event had a large, three-sided bar in the main room and a smaller ancillary bar outside the room. I tried to get a drink from the smaller bar and was told in no uncertain terms that his bar was not open until 30 minutes later. I respected that but not his tone. I went in and used the larger bar. About 3 hours later we were sitting in the common area of the hall and I decided to try him again. He served but was still surly.
Food:
Breakfast was well below the standards of what I would expect from a top-flight hotel group. I will not go into every single selection but my wife and I stuck to the prepackaged yogurt and fresh fruit at breakfast. The food is better at a motel breakfast bar.
Our lunches were actually pretty good with cold cuts and really tasty soups. The dinner at our one meet and greet was poor to inedible with their version of Chinese being salty and mushy across the board.

ONE BRIGHT FOOD SPOT---These folks can make some pastry and dessert. At all of our events the dessert was really not to be missed. All of you event planners coming to Chicago take note!

Sheraton,
I am a manger myself and I always want to hear ways to improve my staff and our service to the public. I did not get a feeling from most of the people I spoke to at this property that they encourage this type of growth. You have some really fabulous people. They seem to be in the minority. It was the rare employee who would interact with the guests even to say hello. This is odd to me.
We met some people who live in Chicago who acknowledged that Chicago has some of the most surly manners towards guests. This is no excuse, in fact, it is an opportunity to rise above the norm and bring the crowds in.

Room Tip: HIgh up seems to offer better rooms in almost every way.
3 Thank pterbd
RheaAlejo, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Pterbd,

Your review of your experience, while difficult to read, is greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies for not only failing to respond promptly but more importantly for the lack of concern we demonstrated. Clearly none of these things are acceptable.

We take the comments from our customers very seriously and use guest feedback to improve our service delivery. Your comments have been shared with our directors of housekeeping, convention services, food and beverage, and engineering to help ensure that we improve our processes so that they are flawlessly executed with every guest encounter. We are committed to delivering the best possible service and we hope that we will have another opportunity to show you how well we care for our guests!

It is our hope that at some time in the future, you would be willing to give our hotel another chance and when that time comes, you may rest assured that we will do everything possible to ensure you have a great experience.

Rhea Alejo, Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Trumbull, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed here for three nights because of a conference being held in the hotel and encountered no problems. The hotel is conveniently situated on the river between the bustle of Michigan Avenue and crowds of tourists swarming Navy Pier, making it walkable to most major downtown attractions. Our room was clean, housekeeping was efficient and the staff we encountered were all very pleasant.

Dear KRW52,

Your review is very much appreciated... thank you! We are delighted that we lived up to your expectations and that our staff members were able to ensure satisfaction with your experience.

I again thank you for sharing your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Chicago in the very near future!

Best regards,
Rhea Alejo, Front Desk Manager
Norwalk, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I would never stay here if it wasn't for a convention. It's huge, impersonal, and confusing because the lobby is on Level 3 (but not marked as such) and there are 3 additional levels of meeting rooms not served by the elevators. The guest rooms are old and feature what has to be the world's ugliest wallpaper. I will admit the meeting rooms and convention facilities overall are very good. Also, the pool and sun deck are quite nice.

However, you are constantly made to feel that they're trying to get extra money out of you. The food options in the hotel are very overpriced, and there's a strategy in understaffing the cheap self-serve cafe so that when you see a long line at breakfast time maybe you'll be willing to go to the adjoining restaurant and pay about $25 for the full breakfast buffet. The steak house does not even post prices for the steaks and you are made to feel that it's tacky to ask how much something is before you decide what to order.

The real dealbreaker for me is that they offer hotel points or $5 coupons with "participating merchants" to encourage you to forgo having your room cleaned. I shudder to think about the bugs and rodents that could be attracted by rooms near mine not getting daily cleaning. We didn't forgo cleaning and left a tip for housekeeping each day, but our bedding was never changed even though there was a (small but noticeable) stain on one pillowcase. Also, whenever someone on our floor had food from room service, the dirty dishes were consistently left sitting in the hallway for 12 hours or more.

2 Thank Elsa_O
DanitaCEO, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Elsa O,

Thank you for sharing your experience as a guest of our hotel. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit but appreciate you taking the time to share with us some specifics.

The hotel is in the midst of a multi-year rooms renovation and have recently completed 300 of our guestrooms and several suites. I am sorry that the room you had was not one of the renovated ones as I am confident you would appreciate the modern look and brightness of the room. The next phase kicks off in December.

During your visit, we did experience a heavier than anticipated use of the Link@Sheraton Cafe but this was by no means a strategy to force guests to dine in LB Bistro. Additional staff to help with the volume of business.

I am sharing your comments concerning Shula's steakhouse with our director of Food & Beverage. Shula's dining is about creating an experience for our guests with the presentation of the steaks and other signature dishes but it shouldn't at all be uncomfortable to ask about the prices before making a choice. He will also work with the room service team to improve the tray removal process.

As part of the hotel's environmental efforts, we have recently implemented "Make a Green Choice". Make a Green Choice helps save the water and chemicals necessary to clean a room and wash the bed and bath linens. We do provide those guests who opt-in to the program a small thank you gift in the form of a food and beverage credit or Starwood Preferred Guest points.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for providing us the opportunity to improve the levels of service we provide our guests.

Warm regards,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Great location if you're visiting Chicago for the first time. Within walking distance: movieplex, Chicago lines architectural cruises (A+), bicycle tours, Navy Pier, Millennium Park (the Bean), the Chicago Art Institute and shopping. The hotel is big and busy. CLUB FLOOR: mixed reviews. With other Sheraton's, the club floor has traditionally been quiet business getaway. On this trip, the club floors housed many large families, so there was always a long line during the breakfast and snack hours. We opted out and headed to the cafe on the first floor. Great cafe! Pastry bar, Smoothie bar, and a chef to make your omelette/crepes to order! Great service too! SPG STAFF - mixed reviews here, since we got conflicting information from different employees at guest registration. Rooms comfortable. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Juliec888,

Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time to share your observations, both positive and constructive.

Through the years, our busiess travelers have come to appreciate the club lounge and look to have it available when on leisure travel with their families. Holiday weekends can be especially demanding on the club lounge. My leadership team and I are revising our staffing on weekends to support our club lounge attendants. In addition, we are working to improve our ordering process to ensure that we have plenty of food, especially for breakfast.

I am delighted though that you had the opportunity to experience LB Bistro....I believe the breakfast there is such a unique and interesting experience....one that all guests should try!

Although your review does not mention the information received from different associates about our Starwood Guest program, consistency is important so we will continue to review the program with the agents to ensure they all know and understand the program benefits and features.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the hotel!

Okemos, Augusta, Atlanta, Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

As an avid traveler I have stayed at many hotels including this one on several occasions. What a mistake on this trip! Room wasn't ready for 2 hours, front desk people unhelpful and rude. All they had to say was we will get your room ready to have some food and drink on us and enjoy we will let u know when it's ready. But no not even that, just a rude cold shoulder and the look of why u bothering me? I wish we had stayed somewhere else to reduce this stressful experience. If u want an enjoying stress less easy going experience don't stay here! Not clean too!

• Stayed May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Moman2000
Dear Moman2000,

Your review, while difficult to read, is much appreciated. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit.

We have found that more and more guests are arriving to the hotel before the official check-in period begins and while we will always check-in our guests no matter what time they arrive given that a clean room is available, there are times when clean rooms are not available. In those instances, what should have happened is that we apologize for the delay, collect your cell phone number and offer to store your luggage. We will then give you a call when the room is ready....in this way, you can go about your day....do some sightseeing or attend a meeting with the knowledge that you will be called when your room is ready. I am very sorry that this did not happen when you arrived. I plan to share your feedback with our front office agents so demonstrate to them how very important this process is to our guests.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make improvements in our arrival process!

Woodstock, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband recently had a heart transplant and requires monthly heart biopsy procedures. We have spent several nights at the Sheraton and have been very impressed. The staff is friendly and welcoming, the room is accessible and comfortable, the view is breathtaking! The personal service has been above and beyond our expectations. There is access to the river walk and we recently enjoyed dinner at the Chicago Burger Company. Our procedures are very early in the morning and we can be at the University of Chicago hospital in just 15 minutes. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to be at the hospital early in the morning. The hotel is located near shopping, Navy Pier, and close to many Chicago tourist attractions. Looking forward to coming back as my husband's health improves and truly enjoying all this hotel has to offer. Thanks to all the staff at the Sheraton who have helped us along the way this year!

Room Tip: Loved our river view!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Terri V,

Your review is very much appreciated....thank you!

Please accept our best wishes for your husband's recovery!

Our location near Lake Shore Drive makes traveling to the University of Chicago convenient and easy while at the same time being near other downtown attractions. I was delighted to read of the positive impression our staff made on you and your husband. While great service is always our goal, it is especially when welcoming guests who have much more serious concerns on their minds. I am happy we were able to make your stay comfortable and welcoming!

We look forward to welcoming you back on future visits!

Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I got this hotel through a priceline bidding deal. It was close to the Navy Pier and Michigan avenue shopping. The hotel is very large and at the time I was visiting, was hosting many events including a prom, emergency medicine convention and other events. They have a very large amount of conference areas below the lobby.

My husband and I had a spacious corner room facing the river. The view was great and the room was relatively spacious. The bed was large and comfortable. Our room had an ipod/iphone dock as well as complimentary Starbucks coffee that you can make for yourself. Like most Sheraton's and chain hotels of this caliber, internet access in the rooms was $10 and the access in the lobby was free.

As far as location goes, it could stand to be closer to a subway or L train. It was about half a mile to the closest CTA stop. It was very close to the Navy pier though as well as michigan avenue. If you go all the way to the bottom most floor you can exit onto a path that runs right by the river, which is very scenic.

By the way, the hotel is dog friendly (saw a few pups during my stay) but I'm not sure about fees, etc.

Overall I wouldn't mind staying at again, but not so amazing that I would eschew trying out other hotels while I'm in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear fallingleaf21,

Thank you for your review....the details you share are much appreciated.

While we are a convention hotel and host a number of meetings and conventions, we also welcome our individual travelers. We believe our location has appeal for the individual traveler as it is close to many of the attractions Chicago offers to visitors.

You are absolutely correct...we are dog-friendly. There are no fees for guests to bring their dogs ... we do have a liability waiver that dog owners are ask to complete. We will also provide, on request a dog bed and food dishes.

As we continue our rooms renovation, all of our guestrooms will have iHome devices....we know that is important to our guests!

We look forward to welcoming you back and if you are a dog owner....bringing your dog!