“A bit dated, but the service was outstanding”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #68 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Irving, Texas
“A bit dated, but the service was outstanding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I checked in for one night for a quick business meeting. Getting in way past my planned arrival time, I was afraid I'd get a crappy room. No. In fact, I was happy to get a little corner room that was tucked away, quiet and peaceful after a long trip. The check in was swift and very professional. Front desk staff were exceptionally gracious and helpful. I got into my room to find that though very dated, the room was clean and fresh, especially the bed. The linens were soft yet crisp in appearance. The only complaint about the bed is that the pillows were far too soft; a recommendation would be to place a variety of pillows on the bed. The bathroom has very old tile and marble, and the faucets need updating. What saved it was that everything was very clean. Television reception was excellent as was internet reception. Shower hot water was plentiful, and the towels were soft and clean (they could be bigger though). The next morning, I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant - it was pricey but served quickly. The food was hot and the service again gracious. As far as location for business or pleasure - exceptional. Walking distance to most everything. I can't give this property a very good because the bathrooms really do need attention, the room and hallway paint/carpet do as well, but aside from that, I'm sure I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: I typically dislike those rooms that are tucked into corners, but at this property it was a boon. Q...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mercurysqueen
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review about your stay and your business in general. Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely pass that on. Also, please know we are in the process of renovating all our guestrooms shortly so hope to see you again soon for the new talk of the town!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,352)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I am writing this letter to express my frustration regarding my membership as Platinum status with Sheraton. I'm specifically upset about my most recent stay at Sheraton Towers in Chicago, August 9-11, 2013. My understanding is that my room should be automatically upgraded if the room is available. In fact, the last time I stayed at this hotel, I WAS upgraded without an issue, and the customer service during my stay was equally fantastic. However, this time it was not the same, and my status was ignored to benefit the hotel.

Upon arrival, at approximately 7pm, I was informed that there were no suites left, as the hotel was completely booked. That evening, when I approached the desk to get a new key for my room, the gentleman at the desk asked if I'd like a suite since they had a few available. We were surprisingly pleased to hear this news, as we have three children, ages 3 months, 2 years and 3 years, and fitting two pack n plays in a standard room is quite tight, not to mention a family of 5 in a standard room with two double beds. However, the individual then stated he needed to just confirm with his manager, and when he returned, he responded that his manager stated that the room cost $150, but they would give it to us for $100. This was absurd! Clearly, the hotel had set aside suites for paying customers; and when they were not reserved, they were then being offered to existing customers for an additional cost!! This was a clear case of the hotel taking advantage of families, in order to benefit the hotel.

Returning to my standard room, I then contacted Sheraton Card Member Guest Services, and the representative was surprised to hear that the upgraded room was not offered, but rather provided for an additional fee to a member with Platinum status. She then placed me on hold and contacted Guest Services at the hotel. When she returned, she stated that the suite was considered “premier,” so it could be offered as a free upgrade at the discretion of the hotel. Maybe this would have made since, if I hadn’t previously been upgraded to the exact “premier” suite during my last stay, without any of these skeptical activities. To say I was frustrated is an understatement. In fact, during the last 10 stays at a Sheraton hotel, I have never been upgraded; and now, when there actually WAS an upgrade available, I was not automatically offered it, but instead was solicited to pay for it – even though I have been staying at numerous Sheraton Hotels, and spending a significant amount of money, in order to maintain a Platinum status. To make matters worse, I requested to have the manager contact me on my personal phone, in order to discuss my cancellation options, and he failed to call me. No follow-up was made by the manager, by the hotel staff who took the message, or by Sheraton Card Member Guest Services. Obviously, my concern was of no importance.

Not only was this incident a disappointment, but it makes me question whether it is worth being a customer of Sheraton Hotels, as their customer service is mediocre to say the least, and their “benefits” are hardly justifiable. As someone who travels on a regular basis, and recommends hotels to many co-workers, clients, friends and family, I would be more than happy to direct future business to a hotel that actually cares about how their actions can influence their business, and that employs management who cares about their customers and their personal needs, as well as understands the power of customer referrals. Sheraton Hotels are clearly out to benefit their business, rather than their clientele.

Ultimately, I’m quite displeased with this occurrence with Sheraton Towers in Chicago, and their lack of customer satisfaction. I will be sure to submit a review on such social media platforms such as Trip Advisor, Yelp, and Google, in order to ensure that other travelers (specifically Sheraton Members) are aware of such instances, and do not has similar, negative experiences.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank cckidd276
I sincerely apologize for any disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations. Should you want to address anything further, I can be reached at 312-329-6995. I look forward to chatting with you.
Mexico DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We went there for just one night, the hotel is located in the middle of all the local attractions, very close to Nort Michigan Ave where you can find a lot luxurious stores, the service in the hotel is really friendly, they give you all the important infomration you need to stay in Chicago. Rooms are very clean with an incredible view.

Room Tip: Upper level in the hotel gives you a better view on the city
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
We are so grateful for your glowing remarks and please know how much we appreciate your business. Looking forward to hosting you again very soon and keeping our excellent standard you've awarded us! Cheers!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We decided to book this hotel on short notice after planning an anniversary dinner cruise and did not want to make the long drive back home afterwards. We chose this hotel based on the location and I remembered the lobby being a large and comfortable place to meet from over 20 years ago when I attended some business meetings there. I only read some of the questionable reviews after we reserved the room and since we had already guaranteed with our credit card we kept a positive outlook. Because of our late check in, we ended up upgrading to the club level on the 30th floor and I was pleasantly surprised at the newly renovated room. The room was large, clean with beautiful contemporary décor. We felt the comfort of the bed and the crisp linens were the most appealing aspect of our short stay, but we have to also mention that the view was amazing. We had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier which was perfect since we don't get into the city often. Having worked in commercial real estate for over 25 years, I look at details with a somewhat critical eye and I found myself closely inspecting the carpeting, furniture, draperies, etc. and I was very impressed. My husband and I thought it was a great overnight stay and the perfect ending to our anniversary in Chicago.

Room Tip: Definitely choose Club Level
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Musicgirl2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We are so appreciative of your business and you taking the time to share your feedback. It was our pleasure to host you for your anniversary and we look forward to doing again very soon.
Safe travels.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We arrived on Saturday around 1:30 or so and check in was quick and painless. Our room was ready and was very nice, although we would have liked a higher floor for a better view. We had asked for an accessible room since I do have a disability and travel with a motorized scooter. The room was good, if a bit small. They even had a shower chair when we asked. The beds are very comfortable as are the pillows. The location of the hotel is great right on the river and comfortable walking distance from most touristy places. The staff was very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable, especially the bell staff. They were very engaging and helpful and made my kids feel great. The concierge staff helped us with reservations and directions and the many questions my kids had and always did it with a smile. The only exception to this was maid service. Every day we had to remind them that 4 people were in the room not 3 because they kept shorting us towels. The other problem with maid service was when we decided at the last minute to stay an extra day (even after our luggage had been taken down). I understand that this may have caused a bit more work for the maid but when we went back up to our room the maid was livid that we were staying and that no one had told her. She was yelling at my kids (we just wanted to put their backpacks in the room and go out for more sightseeing) that they could not put their things in the room then relented and let them put them in the closet. My daughter was crying. We went downstairs and met my husband and the bellman coming back up with our luggage (the same bellman who had taken our luggage down 20 minutes earlier and yet still had a wonderful smile on his face - no yelling). I told my husband what to expect and the bellman was upset that we had been treated that way. My husband told me she was even yelling at the bellman when they went up. We did complain (nicely) to the front desk and they did comp us a days parking and said they were sorry and would take care of the problem. Who knows if they will but maid service was the only drawback to a wonderful stay. One other thing - do not eat at the hotel. everything is WAY overpriced and the one meal we had there at the hamburger place downstairs was sub par. You can do much better at the numerous placing surrounding the hotel. There is a cafeteria style place at the NBC building across the street that served great made to order omelets and breakfast sandwiches and it was really reasonable. They also serve lunch.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DTachar
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
We appreciate your business and you taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. I do apologize for any disappointments and if you would like to chat at your convenience I can be reached at 312-329-6995. Safe travels and we look forward for the chance to welcome you back to the Windy City.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Management are terrific, however a hotel like this needs a good concierge team to guide its guests, and they all failed! We got a restaurant recommended, and a $20 discount coupon..out of date, and not accepted, even when we reminded them it came from the Sheraton. Next night, a reservation at a Blues Club...on arrival, we were informed they never took reservations...and the discount coupon from the concierge on duty was for a night different from the night we were " reserved" for. Even the desk staff messed up by giving us a reduced 3 rd night rate on a clearly marked " 3 rd night free" rate..big platters of cookies were put out near the concierge desk every evening..no one bothered to put a cost on them, until people stated taking them, and walking away! I could go on..they didn't know much at all..but smiled nicely
Everyone was really nice, though...just need a lot more training in a place this big, and this busy

Room Tip: A very kind manager moved us to a high floor..become a Sheraton member
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
I'm truly sorry for any disappointment during your stay with our Concierge team and will address with my team to rectify. Should you want to discuss anything further, please contact me at 312-329-6995. We hope to host you again soon.
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this property over a long weekend and was extremely impressed with the hotel. They have a separate SPG check in and the staff was great. Because I am Platinum with SPG we were upgraded to a junior suite with a great view of the water. We were also given lounge access which is beautiful on the top floor with great views of Chicago. Good assortment of breakfast items and snacks and hot appetizers starting at 5pm. Shulas Steakhouse is worth a trip as service was excellent and try the corn with shallots and bacon. Very accessible to miracle mile and the architecture boat tours, as well as navy pier. We walked all over and were very happy at how close the hotel was to everything. Offered late check out when I checked in so I was very happy with that benefit. Great service, great rooms, great Sheraton!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpecialKNJ
Thank you so much for your loyal business and positive accolades. It was a pleasure to host you and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon. Safe travels!