“Well appointed Chicago hotel in ideal location”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #72 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Well appointed Chicago hotel in ideal location”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel was the site of a conference and therefore was not chosen by me. However, I am very pleased to have discovered it. The staff were friendly and courteous. I asked for several small things over the course of my stay and the service was prompt. The appointments were modern and the room, bed and linens were very comfortable, clean, and appealing. However, the best part of this hotel is the location... Both for my room's view and accessibility to "everything Chicago." It is a short 2 blocks to navy pier, 2 to Michigan Ave, 5-6 to Grant Park. The neighborhood has many local restaurants with a wide variety of food options. As for the room's view- every day I woke up feeling as if I was in a travel magazine... Ask for a corner room or view of the city. For families, a movie complex, arcade, and bowling alley were a block away. The subway was a 10-15 min walk and if carrying much luggage from the airport, etc could be tricky for some-- the only drawback I could find. Overall, the hotel was not just a place to sleep, but truly enhanced my overall Chicago experience... I look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed June 2014
Mary P, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear AlisonA2208,

I was very happy to read your amazing review of our hotel. The location is one of the best in the city as you described and is accessible to so many great attractions that Chicago has to offer. We always love to hear positive feedback of our staff along with the overall service that you have experienced. We hope the conference that you attended will bring you back to our hotel and if you need anything to assist you upon your return, please don't hesitate to ask any of our associates.

Warmest Regards,

Mary P.
Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I usually stay here when in Chicago. I was initially attracted due to the location (close to lake, river and MI Ave), but I grew to like the lobby and rooms, too. My last stay in June 2014 was the best yet. I was upgraded (I am a Starwood preferred guest) and got a great room and club level access. Check-in was fast and considerate and the staff in the club were great. Special thanks to Megan Stovcsik, Director of Housekeeping. I had a couple of concerns during my last visit and she went to bat and resolved everything very quickly. I recommend this property.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor overlooking the lake or river.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mary P, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear SCT1110,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy that Megan was able to assist you in upgrading your room with club access. I hope you enjoyed the snacks and refreshments that we provide in the Club Lounge! We appreciate your loyalty and welcome you back to the Sheraton on your next visit to Chicago.

Warm Regards,

Mary P.
Executive Office
Eureka, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We love staying at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers because of the attention we receive from the moment we arrive to the extra attention to our request. We travel from St. Louis and bring our bikes. The location is perfect for rides and walking to our classes at Exhale on State Street. We keep our bikes in our room and were even allowed to go into the valet garage to lock our bikes to our car earlier on our check out day. We stay in Chicago at least twice a year for fun and the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers is by far our favorite!

Room Tip: Breakfast in the Hotel was a bit pricy and not all that good, but dinner at Shula's was wonderfu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mechelle R, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Bob P.,

Thank you for the sharing a great review of our hotel and for making the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers your favorite choice for fun and great location! We are so excited to hear that you appreciated the attention received from our staff the moment you arrived.

It was our pleasure to keep our bikes in the room for your convenience and to give you the perfect experience of riding and walking to your classes at Exhale.

You should know that your loyalty to the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers is valuable to all of us.

We look forward to personally welcoming you back very soon.

Mechelle R.
Executive Assistant
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers for at least 5 occasions. Each visit has wonderful. The hotel lobby and public space is very comfortable and clean. There is a very nice business center and great public meeting space to meet with colleagues. The gym is nice with a great view of the Chicago river. The SPG Club Lounge is another perk with full continental breakfast and a good selection of snacks in the afternoon. The rooms are very comfortable and clean with great views of the city especially floors higher than 25. The hotel is in a great location and walking distance to Michigan Ave, Navy Pier and a bunch of fabulous restaurants. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when returning to Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a River view or Lake view room on above the 25th floor.
Dear VinATL,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel and for sharing your wonderful experience in the very comfortable and clean lobby and public space.

We are so excited to hear that you are enjoying the membership benefits of our SPG program in your great rooms on high floors, perk with full club level access to continental breakfast and a good selection of snacks in the afternoon.

Your loyalty to the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers is important to all of us. We look forward to personally welcoming you back very soon.

Mechelle R.
Executive Assistant
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was very disappointed by my stay at the Sheraton. The staff were welcoming and the lobby large and clean, but the room was very tired and just looked dirty, whether or not that was true. Why go to the effort to make the public spaces very comfortable, if the real point of a hotel - the room - isn't going to make the cut? In the end, you'll lose repeat customers. (And it's not as if many rooms are from walk-ins these days.)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
madalyn w, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear whicuz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that the staff was welcoming upon your arrival. We have renovated more thatn half of our guest rooms and will complete the rest soon. If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at madalyn.ward-freeman@sheraton.com. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Madalyn W.
Director of Front Office
Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ehhhhhhhhhh. It was ok.....no major thrills or perks that excited me when I walked into room....just basic. Room was clean. I noticed room service items remained in hallway from other rooms almost half the day. I left room at 2pm. When I came back around 8pm, the service items were still in the halls. Staff was nice and location was convenient to several places. I was in town for a business meeting so this hotel wasn't my preference. Typical business......road warrior hotel. Wish I could say more about it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
madalyn w, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear C W,

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We are glad that you chose the Sheraton Chicago as your place to stay. Your feedback assist in improving our product and services. Please feel free to contact me at madalyn.ward-freeman@sheraton.com or 312-464-1000 to discuss your stay. we would love to host your next visit to Chicago.

Madalyn W.
Director of Front Office
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers in Chicago for a couple of days for a conference.

There were good and bad points about this hotel. Lets start with the good points:
-Location was great
-the general quality of the bed, furniture and bathroom facilities was good (if a bit worn out)
-a fitness room with Sauna and a small pool, the machines (treadmills, ellipticals etc.) were quite good and plenty
- lots of towels

Now to the bad points:

- Major bad point: the hotel tries to rip off their guests in a way that is undignified.

Examples:
1. The Minibar in the room- ok, Minibars are never a good idea but read on: The Minibar consisted of things standing on a tray with a sensor (I kid you not) and if you as much as touch one of these things on the tray you get charged automatically, whether you actually take a thing or not!
I could not believe this to be true, but it is! And a small bottle of water cost 8$!
Now we were there without children, but imagine how much you will pay if your kids excitedly touch the sweets on that tray all the time!
The worst of it: it is not made obvious to the guests that this happens. I accidentally found that out when I read it in small print in a brochure in the room.

2. Breakfast cost 28$ BEFORE tax and tips. (Toast and eggs and such, nothing fancy) No further comment.

3. We did not even try to have any food in the restaurants, but an acquainted couple had dinner- one course, plus one glass of wine, nothing spectacular- and they paid 150$!

Now to the other negative points:
- everything was a bit shabby and worn down, might have just been our room, but you clearly could see things had seen better times.
- the bathroom had no ventilator, turning your room into a steam room after a shower
- the water in the pool was not really clear, the water does not get changed very often

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms (14. floor) do not have a nice view because there is a building blocking the view