“It costs to breathe air here...”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #69 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Warren, MI
“It costs to breathe air here...”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had a feature in Chicago on August 8, 2014 and usually enjoy staying in downtown Chicago when I travel. I have stayed at this hotel before, quite a few years ago, but don't remember it being as costly as this trip. I booked on Priceline to get a better rate, which was effective. However, I was not prepared for Sheraton's additional costs associated with my overnight stay. Parking was $58 for one night, but luckily I was told about a website where parking is only $13. WiFi service in the rooms is like $18 per night. Want a snack? If you happen to knock any of the goods from their cradle, that's gonna cost ya! DO NOT TOUCH anything on the mini-bar showcase that sits on top of the desk--if you move it, you'll lose it--your $ that is. This hotel is but a ten minute walk to Navy Pier which I loved as everything I wanted to do while I was there is on the Pier (Bubba Gump Shrimp, Garrett's Popcorn and Tall Ship Windy). Shopping on Michigan Avenue is a few minutes walk as well. I'd highly recommend the Sheraton, but suggest shopping on line for room and parking discounts first. Also, take snacks with you so you're not charged $20 for a can of peanuts. The beds were so comfortable. The pillows were so soft--no matter how I placed the pillow under my head, I was comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a lake view--you'll get a lake and river view.
2 Thank rosie313
Mary P, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hi Rosie313,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the proximity of our hotel to Navy Pier. We appreciate your feedback regarding the mini bar system and will be sure to pass along the information to help improve our product and service to the appropriate department. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Mary P. Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,351)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Located just off of Michigan Ave but close to Navy Pier, the Sheraton is beautiful and elegant! Immaculately clean and everyone is so friendly and willing to share info on their town! Concierge has never steered us wrong on a restaurant. Try to get a corner room for a dual view of the city at night.

• Stayed June 2014
Hello Badgenie,

Thank you for your glowing review! We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton and are glad that our Concierge team was able to assist you while visiting our city. We hope you will come back and visit us!

Warmest Regards,
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The good: Great location, good views of the river and Trump Tower. Convenient to Navy Pier and lots of stuff downtown. The bed was wonderful and slept great. The digital thermostat worked great. Room service was fast and good for the money. Concierge desk, bellhops were great. Huge lobby with lots of space to sit and relax. Easy check in and check out.

The bad: Alarm clock wasn't even plugged in to wall. I had to move the nightstand and plug it in. Not easy to set the clock, so I just gave up. Yes, I have a smartphone, but for a couple hundred bucks a night I would expect a basic digital clock that is plugged in and set correctly. The bathtub is really old for an otherwise remodeled bathroom. The Speakman Anystream showerhead had the typical "low flow", so expect to spend more time trying to rinse off. Beer prices were simply too high at the bars in the hotel and the snacks in the room, although convenient, are priced at insulting levels.

For those of you who feel that 7 bucks is ridiculous for a bottled domestic beer, and that 11 bucks is outrageous for a jar of nuts, there is a Walgreen's across the street and on the corner near the movie theater. I wasn't the only Sheraton guest in there late at night after a Cubs game to grab some cold beer, milk and dessert.

Hello Eyecanseeformiles,

Thank you for your amazing review! We are so happy to hear that you were pleased with the service you received from our Bell Staff and Concierge Team. So happy also that you found our Sweet Sleeper beds comfortable for you as well. We look forward to welcoming you back!

All the best,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed for a few days in August with friends. The staff were very accomodating and attentive to my needs. My room came with Club Level access and let me tell you, it is worth the extra money to have it. I enjoyed the breakfast, evening appetizers and 24 hour access to water and soda. Club Lounge Connie, as we called her, is simply amazing at her job. I made sure to tip her extra because she always was going above and beyond.

The rooms were nice and clean. The beds, simply the best. The bathroom was adequate, however the paint in the shower was chipping. This wasn't a huge deal though because it was only noticable on the soap tray.

Dave in the front office was very professional and accomodating. The bellman were true examples of what bellman should be....I've never seen a harder working bellman. I even spoke with a security gaurd in the hallway....she was very nice and knowledgable as well.

Overall this hotel is great. They truely get HOSPITALITY, something other hotels forget. I hope to stay again!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better (street noise wise). Club level rooms worth every extra penny. West facing...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank arummler
Hello Arummier,

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel associates! We are very happy that you were able to take advantage of the Club Lounge and very pleased that Connie was there to assist you! On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you and your business and would love to assist you when you return back to the Sheraton.

Your friends at the Sheraton!
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Here for a business trip. My room on the even side of the 20th floor is great. Get to see the river and the lake as well as city lights. Plus I am on the low level of the one bank of elevators for a biz meeting that works out pretty well when the meetings adjourn.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Mary P, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hi Rita T,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to receive your feedback and pleased that you had a great experience while at the Sheraton. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chicago.

Regards,
San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently spent a couple of nights here while on a business trip, but combined it with tourist activities. Rooms were great, beds were exceptionally comfortable and the staff was helpful. Walking distance to the train to take in a game at Wrigley and to the boat docks for a river tour of the city (which we also did). I'd stay here again.

Hello IMAXmicki,

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Sheraton! We are glad that you were pleased with our accommodations and hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As a frequent traveler I meet a lot of hotel employees. Everyone, Especially the door man Mike, the concierge, the check in desk, the concierge lounge employees - gave excellent customer service. I was there on an extremely busy weekend, and they still were friendly and accommodating. The views are awesome, especially looking down over the river and watching all the activities. Only very slight negative was the Chicago Burger Company on the property. The staff there appeared like they were on another planet, and the food was not specially. However, as the hotel was great, one small meal on site, that they didn't have control of did not spoil it for me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Anne A,

Thank you for your great review. I'm happy that you had a wonderful experience with so many of our associates. We appreciate your business and sorry for the unpleasant experience you encountered with some of the temporary staff at the burger company. We wish to welcome you back in the near future.