“Location, Location, Location!”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #79 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The Willows is an older hotel on the north end of Lincoln Park, in the city but not downtown. The location is FANTASTIC if you are looking for a real Chicago neighborhood experience. It is one building off Broadway St. which offers everything: restaurants, shops, theater, bars and lively/vibrant/fun people. You can walk to the waterfront (Diversey harbor) about 5 blocks away. You can walk to the "L" and get anywhere (including downtown) in minutes. A bit further walk to Lincoln Park Zoo to the south or Wrigley Field to the north if you are in a walking mood. The hotel is surrounded by apartment and condo buildings down a quiet, short street which is charming, homey and lovely. The residents are friendly and boy oh boy do they love walking their dogs! We met so many people and dogs in this spot-it was nuts! The room/hallways/furnishings are dated but CLEAN. The exec king room is plenty big with a closet, fridge, desk, dresser, iron/board, robes, nice toiletries...everything you need. But trust me, you won't be in your room for long-too much to see and do right outside your door but far enough away to make you feel like you "live" in this charming neighborhood. The employees were very helpful and accommodating. Recommendations: Wilde for dinner, Stella's Diner for breakfast. We will return here again and again!

Room Tip: I would not recommend as the hallways are straight and sound travels. I was on 3rd and only heard o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shannoncE4764HC

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Although the pictures online make it look like a grand historic property, its quite small and quaint. I like small and quaint so this was a plus for me. All was as advertised but our room was incredibly small. It was clean but not luxurious and extremely small. We got a great rate at under $100 a night so I was pleased. Our room was quiet and the location is good as it is within walking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops. Parking is a little challenging but fine.

Room Tip: Choose one of the larger rooms if you like to have some space. I think the larger rooms may have be...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Excellent inn-like hotel in pleasant area of North Chicago, with easy access to centre of city. There are plenty of restaurants, coffee shops, shops,,cinema, bars etc in the immediate vicinity. The hotel is situated less than 10 minutes walk to Lakeshore Drive and the amazing attractions and facilities of the people friendly lakefront.
Continental breakfast and newspapers are available (self-service) in the lobby. We usually loaded the tray and brought it back to our room. Coffee, tea and snacks are provided 24 hours a day. As we were helping out with our newborn grandson who lived with his parents a couple of blocks away, that 24 hour service was a bonus!The rooms are a little dated but clean, comfortable and warm. Maid service was very good.
The reception staff, day and night, was excellent. Advice and assistance were given readily and always with a smile. Maybe because it is a comparatively small place compared to the modern high rise city hotels, the staff seemed to know each guest and all were greeted with a cheery 'good morning' or 'good evening'. I must single out the young lady on duty during the day, whose name has slipped my mind. Besides being generally helpful, she surpassed herself on my last day when I was checking out. I had ordered a cab and waited outside for the usuall rapid arrival. She noticed I was still there a few minutes later and sent out another staff member to flag one down on the street. 15 minutes later i saw her racing towards me. She herself had run up to the high street and spent ages trying to hail a cab in a very busy morning rush hour period. No success! However, she suggested she arrange a private limosine service to the airport which would cost $10 extra. 5 minutes later I was on my way- many thanks!

Room Tip: The staff assure me that all rooms are good!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

When staying in Chicago for the birth of a grandchild, we lucked out and found a rock-bottom rate for The Willows. What a find! Located in Lakeview, a very tony and lively neighborhood, The Willows has the kind of service and accommodations we associate with Europe. The executive king room was large and the bathroom was average in size, but both had generous "goodies" of all kinds: robes, bath products, and mini bar supplies and both rooms were spotless. The staff took a personal interest in us and remembered our names. The breakfast buffet is generous, and the parking is very cheap by Chicago standards. We would love to make this our "home away from home" since we are in Chicago often, but the rates in January and February are exceptionally low.

Room Tip: When we asked about which of two rooms we should choose, we were told the higher floors were quieter...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I first would like to start off by saying what a great location!! We were near all kinds of restaurants and best of all we were near Red Mango, which is a froyo joint it was wonderful! Close to all public transportation and the staff was very friendly and informative. The rooms were well cleaned and the breakfast was decent.

Room Tip: Great place for nearby restuarants just to get away. Its peaceful and clean. Great location!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rs_929
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We spent three days in Chicago apt. hunting for my daughter. Hotel was very nice, and the people were so nice. We didn't have luck finding an apt, but the front office hotel manager gave me the name of an apt leasing company, which was great and found my daughter an apt right away. And they also recommended a great restaurant. We did not have a car and could walk everywhere.
Price was great, rooms nice, flat screen tvs, breakfast included, great location, Charming.
We will go back and stay there for sure.

Room Tip: The suite was nice, not huge, but much better than a single room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JanetShu
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel offered great rates, comfortable rooms, and a great service attitude by the front desk staff. The heater is radiator, so I had to open the windows to get it my desired temperature. The room was quite spacious. The hot water was also a challenge while showering. But it is a great deal for the money, and a larger room in the city of Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo