The Willows
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$317
TrumpHotels.com
US$247
US$231
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$263
Hilton Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$317
US$271
1,015 results
All reviewslincoln parkcontinental breakfastgreat neighborhoodlakeview neighborhoodquiet streethonor barhard boiled eggscozy hotelstay there againdepaul universitybrown linecubs gameparking garageolder hotelnice breakfastrestaurants and shopsnorth side
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have wanted to stay at The Willows for a while now. Our son lives in a part of Chicago very close to this hotel. We typically stay downtown because we cannot find a hotel to our liking near him. Finally, my wife and I got out of our comfort zone and booked a three night stay.

My first impression was not great. The Willows could use a little of a make over. It is not in horrible shape. It just looks a little worn. The next issue was the bed. It was lumpy. Although, I must admit, it was more comfortable than I would have first imagined.

The last negative was the bare-bones continental breakfast, a little disappointing. A little more variety would be nice.

Still, I rated the hotel four stars (truth in advertising, I would have given it 3.5 but since I cannot, I rounded up). Overall, the room was comfortable. The location was great for our needs. Lastly the people, THE PEOPLE, were fantastic! From the time we stepped in to The Willows to the time we left, the entire staff was friendly and helpful. The front desk, the maid staff and the bellman, all wonderful.

A special call out to Adrian at the front desk and Ben, the bellman. Adrian was EXTREMELY helpful and directed us to a couple of really fine restaurants in the area. Ben will bend over backwards to take care of your every need. He was also very helpful in getting our car loaded when we were leaving.

To those who are looking for big rooms with all of the bells and whistles, this is not your hotel. Like most old hotels, the rooms are small. This is not a negative for me. After all, I am in the room to just sleep. If you love a hotel with charm and some history, then The Willows may be for you.

I am sure when we come back to the greatest city in the world, we will be making a reservation to stay at The Willows again. You should too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly, always at the ready to go the extra mile! The lobby is appealing and the rooms spacious. The parking was right behind the hotel and reasonable relative to other Chicago parking rates! Would have liked more fresh fruit choices for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank planneroftrips
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I struggled whether to rate this as average or very good. If you are looking for modern, sleak, trendy -- it's average. If you are looking for comfortable, clean, quiet in a great location - it is very good. I'll start with the plusses - it is ideally located in Lincoln Park. Can't get a better location for your money. The rooms are small (more about that later) and clean. Our room was quiet, but ask for a room not on the first floor, not close to the elevator and not close to the stairs. The staff is extraordinarily friendly and accomodating. I read earlier reveiws and thought they must have been written by friends and family, but they are true. You can't find a nicer group. They keep fresh fruit and cookies for free all day in the lobby. Very nice touch.

And now the minuses. Our first room was very, very, very small. We asked if there was an upgrade available, and they readily moved us to a larger room. Still small, but it worked for us. If you get make a reservation, ask to not be placed in the tiny rooms. Breakfast was average. Not good; not bad. Coffee was as good as people say; the rest was ok. A step above Holiday Inn Express, but definitely not B&B quality.

Is the Willows elegant? Definitely not. Is it a good value. Definitely yes. Would I stay there again? You bet.

Room Tip: Not first floor -- too noisy
3  Thank sophiedogdaddy
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Pros:
Gorgeous vintage building in residential neighborhood
Convenient parking garage on same block (for the typical $22/night)
Nice lobby
Windows actually open (though most of our were painted shut)
Decent bed/bedding

Cons:
Small room with awkward placement of tiny desk and chair
Bathroom was extremely small -- door blocked commode -- tiny pedestal sink
Only one window was openable; the others were stuck

It was fine for a single night and we liked the overall atmosphere, but I wouldn't choose it for a longer stay unless I could get a larger room with larger bath.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Keith S, Regional Manager at The Willows, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Chicago. I am pleased to read your appreciation of our hotel and the renovations that we just completed. I would like to apologize for the petite queen room which is our smallest rooms in the hotel that you booked at the time of your reservation. We have many rooms that are very spacious that come with a King or two queen beds in the room. Please contact me at keith@broughtonhotels.com the next time you are visiting Chicago so I can make these arrangements for you.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Keith E. Scott
Regional Manager
broughtonHOTELS

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a great place. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast, 24 hour coffee and afternoon cookies were great. We were able to buy VIP tickets from the hotel so we could go to Shedd Aquarium, so no line waiting. Me and my wife will always stay here when we come to Chicago. Thank you to all the staff at Willows Hotel for making our stay in Chicago very welcoming.
TJ Compton & Angie Bowser
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Room Tip: All rooms are great