“Fantastic start to our honeymoon”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic start to our honeymoon”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Booking this hotel was the best thing we did, the experience was really one of the highlights of our honeymoon. My husband had emailed the manager before we arrived to say we were coming for our honeymoon and to ask some questions. When we arrived there was a bottle of champagne in our room from the hotel manager which was a fantastic touch especially after a 14 hour flight.
There was no queue for check in and it was really quick and easy. The suitcases were brought to our room really quickly after we had checked in.

The room was gorgeous really American style and reminded me of the hotel in pretty woman. There was so much character and the decor was fantastic. It was spacious with a great bathroom. There were coffee and tea facilities in the room which was a real plus.

One day we decided to have afternoon tea and a member of staff booked us in with no hassles at all. The afternoon tea was one of the best i have ever had. I dont eat meat so my husband asked if they could substitute the meat sandwiches for something else which they did with no extra charge and with no fuss. The service was great there and was really an experience i will remember. The chandeliers are memorising.

All the staff in the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful. Check out was again extremely easy. The evening before we left we received the bill under the door and if we were happy with it we could just leave the following day without going to see a member of staff. This saved us a lot of time and is just so efficient.

The hotel is located in a great location. It is about a three minute walk to the John Hancock building and all the shops are close by. You can walk to Navy Pier from it and lots of other attractions.

We cant say enough about this hotel it is really fantastic and we cant wait to go back again....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bracey777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Turkish first
illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I would highly recommend the drake for your chicago stay. We stayed in a family suite with 2 teenagers. It was a nice big room with king bed and foldout couch. They also gave us a rollaway. Big down comforters, towels, and xtra blankets were all given to us. Staff was very friendly and accomidating. For runners or walkers, you simply go out the back door of the drake, and you are on a great lake front path for miles. Wonderful location to shops and restaurants. I will go back aain!

• Stayed August 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This post is pertinent for small plane pilots primarily. We live in North Carolina and love getting our annual "Drake" fix. From our front door in NC to the lobby of the Drake it only took 4 hours and 15 minutes. We fly into Gary Jet Center in Gary Indiana (GYY). Extremely easy and completely avoids the busy Chicago airspace. Gary Jet Center offers a one minute shuttle ride to the train stop...and the trains run on schedule (schedules available online. About 30 minutes later the train lets you off at Millenium Park. A short walk (about 1 mile) down the Magnificent Mile and you're walking in the Drake's lobby. You'll pass a Walgreens about 1 block from the hotel where you can purchase a 1-day pass ($5.25) which is good for unlimited travel on the metro trains and buses. If the Cubs are playing, you can take the redline train (1 block from Walgreens) to Wrigley Field...about a 10-15 minute ride...see the game and get back all for $5.25...and still have almost a day left on your transit pass. So easy. We then took a cab to the University of Chicaco to see their Egyption Antiquities Exhibit (mummies included) at the Oriental Museum (free admission), then took in the Museum of Science and Technology and used our transit pass for a ride back to the Drake. The Drake is, as always, fantastic. The staff is friendly and efficient. The Executive Lounge is "okay". Sodas all day. Adult beverages for sale in the evening. Breakfast equals juice, milk, coffee, hot chocolate, bagels and sweet rolls, cereals and yogurt. Some of the best fruit we've had all year. The executive lounge staff is excellent. The concierge staff was extremely helpful with sightseeing tips for kid friendly as well as pocket-friendly options. Bike rentals are available across the street. The Drake is great for most anyone...for General Aviation pilots it's a dream. Easy flight into Gary. Quick and easy train ride to downtown. Easy walk to the Drake. Reverse it all to go home.

Room Tip: The queen two-bedroom option provides two, yes two, bathrooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Welovelove2travel
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed at the Drake Hotel in the Gold Coast Historic District where the Magnificent Mile begins. Checking in was surprisingly easy, even though I arrived at the hotel before noon and check in is listed as 3pm. When I entered my room, it was love at first sight. It was the perfect room for me, nice and cool (I appreciated having control over the thermostat- I have stayed in some historical hotels where you do not ); the bed looked amazingly comfortable, and was. I looked out the window at a view of the beach and Lake Michigan. I was very happy with the location being near the beach. After a busy day of walking, I decided to stay nearby for a casual dinner at Oak Street beach. Watching Lake Michigan splashing was very relaxing. I walked along the lake to Navy Pier in the morning. Another perfect choice for me.

The staff were friendly and exceptional. The valets were helpful without being intrusive. As I was leaving in the morning, a maintenance man stopped what he was doing to offer to help with my luggage. I declined, as I needed to search for my keys etc on the way to check-out. Reception was always available and check-out was very easy. I spoke with several concierge and received great directions for within Chicago, as well as to my next destination. I left my rental car at Enterprise's parking and avoided the parking fee. I took my laptop to the lobby for wifi. I did not incur any additional charges. The room was clean with plenty of Peter Thomas Roth toiletries and towels. It is an older building, and if contemporary is what one is going for, it might not be the right one for you . I do extensive research before traveling to find the right fit for me for accommodation and activities, and selecting the Drake helped make this visit a perfect 10. More pictures of the hotel and area are at http://pspective.com/travel

Room Tip: For me it was worth it to pay a little more for a view. The room was quiet, which was important to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed in the Drake for 2 nights. It's a grand hotel with lots of character, but the room and facilities are a let down. The twin bedded room was small, with barely enough room to walk around the beds. There was one arm chair and no coffee table, so one person had to sit on the bed or the desk chair. Not very relaxing after a hard day's sight seeing. The bathroom supplies consisted of one tube of shampoo, one tube of conditioner, two bars of soap, no shower gel, no robes.The toiletries were inadequate for two people, and weren't replaced on day two. A minor point admittedly, but the hair dryer was in a cloth bag hanging from a hook on the bathroom door. Whenever the door opened or closed the dryer thumped against the door - an annoying noise in the middle of the night in particular. The hotel guide said that a newspaper is delivered to the rooms every morning - none appeared in our room. A bit of a let down especially as the price was relatively high. The location is excellent, but it's not the only hotel in the location, so I'd check out others next time. We brought the lack of bathroom supplies to the attention of the desk clerk on checking out & just received an 'Oh I'm so sorry' reply.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Taistill,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused and regret that we did not provide you with our normal very high standards of service. I apologize for your experience with housekeeping and the tolitires in your guest room were not replaced. I am also truly sorry that you did not receive your moring paper and have adequate space in your guest room. I will speak with all relevant departments regarding your experience. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will contact me directly the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, I will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay. Stefan Gruvberger Hotel Manager The Drake Hotel 312-932-4504
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

A first visit to Chicago for my wife and I. Where else to stay, but The Drake. The scaffolding outside ( probably now removed ) didn't give a very good impression, but once inside it was love a first sight. A grand dame indeed, reminiscent of the Waldorf in NY. Service that you would expect from such an institution. Pay a little extra for a superior Lake view room and enjoy a classic picture postcard view. Olde world charm with flat TV's, and at a very reasonable ( by UK standards ) price.
What's not to love about The Drake? Unbeatable location on " The Mile ", luxury rooms and good food. OK, but you wouldn't have to pay for room Internet access in a Motel 6, so why does The Drake think that a charge is in order. Free Internet in the bar and public areas makes guests even more disgruntled.

Room Tip: Stipulate a lake view room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin T
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Collinrhthomas,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Stefan Gruvberger
Hotel Manager
312-932-4504
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The hotel is one of the old historic hotels in Chicago located right off of Michigan Avenue and right accross from the Knickerbocker Hotel. The parking cost us $37 overnight but for any big city I did not find it too bad.

The bathroom was a little dated but the comfort of the bed and the large HD TV made the room enjoyable.

There is a charge for the wifi unless you have a mobile device, the wifi came through on my I-Phone no problem.

Room Tip: Great Location in Chicago
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business