“Exceptional”

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #81 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Its was a great elegance experience. The food was outstanding, great staff. A very cozy place that you'll forget you're in one of the busiest city. Love my executive suiye that faces the Lake Michagan. Everything was perfect! Will surely be back next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Turkish first
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

From the minute you step inside the hotel, you know you are in a hotel that is comfortable in its own skin. The staff is very professional and the suites are memorable. If you have the fortune of getting lakefront, the view is mesmerizing. The concierge club is nice but far too small for the amount of guests that use it so you have to fight for a seat. The property is well maintained and very clean. My favorite part was the bench in some of the elevators--such a throwback to the elegance of the past.

Room Tip: Lake views are stunning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed for one night just before New Years Eve. We checked in early (and paid the $25) and enjoyed the city. Upon check in, I noticed several room's had food/dishes outside their doors. When we returned from shopping, there were still glasses outside of our room. I asked the housekeeper in the hallway to please remove them, and I received a "That's not my job, that's Room Service's...." For me, I have always placed the Drake near the top of my hotel choices, however, I am now seeing why they are only four stars/diamonds and not 5. You should never hear that from an employee. She moved the glasses from next to my door, down a few doors and everything else remained. In the morning when I checked out, there were french fries in the hallway and several food plates. The quality of the room was good, and the Concierge service was AMAZING! Both women that we talked with were excellent with recommendations and reservations. The front desk staff was very nice, so overall it was fine, but you never tell a customer no when it's something simple.

Room Tip: It's a great location, so any room is decent!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I'd like to thank you for sharing your observations on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that the front desk and concierge were accommodating however I was pained by your comments about our housekeeping staff. I can assure you "no" is not in The Drake's vocabulary.It is our standard to assist whoever, whenever, however we can. Please, alert management immediately of any displeasure you face during your next stay. In the meantime, I'd like to speak with you directly about your experience. If you would, please email me your contact information and TripAdvisor name and I'll reach out immediately. Thank you.

Russell Menkes
General Manager, The Drake Hotel
russell.menkes@hilton.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our first stay at The Drake. The lobby, restaurant and staff were all within my expectations and quite lovely. The room we had was very surprisingly sub-par. The mattresses and pillows not comfortable, peeling wallpaper and heating not working properly. We reported these items at exit so hopefully this is an isolated incident they will take care of and not something that is throughout.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

While I'm pleased that our lobby, restaurant and staff met your expectations it weighs quite heavily on me that you did not find your accommodations to be up to par. I'd like to thank you for alerting our staff to the conditions you described and I assure you this is an isolated incident. I'd like to speak with you more regarding your time with us. If you'd please, email me your contact information and TripAdvisor name I'd greatly enjoy connecting with you directly. Thank you.

Russell Menkes
General Manager, The Drake Hotel
russell.menkes@hilton.com
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Drake is a great hotel to stay at when shopping the Magnificent Mile. Good location, with predictably pleasant rooms, and friendly service. There are restaurants within the hotel, and a nice breakfast buffet is available to get you started for a fun day of shopping.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My sister and I took our mom for a Christmas weekend love it. The room we booked was the family room it was amazing . You will only find that amount of space in one of Chicago classic hotel. I checked the newer ones and the room were all smaller. The staff was great had coffee room service ever morning. Beatuiful view of the lake. Location was perfect, we were able to walk every where. Will return next year.
We had drinks in the bar good times. Love the drake it's a big part of chicagos history. Everyone should stay there once.

Stayed November 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

You don't need to read a review to know that the historic Drake Hotel is simply gorgeous. However, it is worth noting that unlike many luxury hotels, what sets the Drake apart for me is the personal care they take to welcome you and tailor your stay according your needs. Every guest is special, here. The rooms are beyond comfortable and the customer service really is impeccable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family