“Poor Executive Lounge”

Ranked #78 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
South Barrington, United States
“Poor Executive Lounge”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The Drake is a lovely establishment. That said, it appears that they don't value their Hilton Honors Members because the Executive Lounge is a hole in the wall with poor offerings and a "breakfast" not worth climbing the stairs for. It should be a convenience for guests to have a reasonable light breakfast, this is not the case at the Drake. I would never pay extra for it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Natalya B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Turkish first
Norwalk, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2014

From the Doorman thru to the check in personell, bell service, room service, restaruant staff are all friendly, professional and concerned with my satisfaction. Very comfortable bed. I recommend this hotel for both business and vacation needs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Portage, Michigan
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We booked a long weekend at The Drake after looking at their website. Our rate was $229.00 per night under a promotional Chillcation campaign. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk was very apathetic. She didn't make eye contact, showed no emotion and mumbled. Haven't ever run across such unpleasantness in a Hilton Hotel. I had requested a higher floor online, so was surprised when she said we were on the first floor. My husband asked if there were any upgrades available, and without looking up from her keyboard, she stated "No. I gave you a good room." As a Hilton Diamond Member, the upgrades are supposed to be free. The "good room" had a really great view of a brick wall a few feet away and rusty metal scraps. Avoid room 158 at all costs! We closed the shades and tried to ignore this. The carpet was covered with crumbs and there were room service dishes with scraps of food spilling out outside the door across the hall. So gross. The notepad by the phone had scribble marks and food remnants on it and the extra blanket in the closet was obviously not clean... I won't go into detail here, but there were many short hairs all over it. The bathrooms were nice, although there were no "luxury robes" as stated on the website. We could of called the front desk with all these issues, but they were small problems and the employees we did encounter seemed very unhappy to be working. I got the feeling they definitely didn't want to be there. We instead went to the front desk and said something had come up and we would have to check out the next day. She typed a few keystrokes and said " You're all set, " and then walked away. We will not ever stay here again or recommend The Drake to anyone we know. It's sad because it could be a vibrant piece of history, but it was a dingy, run down, sad mess.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 158! Horrible view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nejamais
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
It is truly regrettable that your experience at The Drake Hotel did not meet your valid expectations. To feel as though you were not given the treatment you deserve is a shame. We know that when it comes to service it’s the quality of the product and the pragmatic nature of the attendant that matter most. Your observations are alarming and will be addressed. I'd like to discuss your stay with you further. If you would be so kind as to email me your TripAdvisor name and a way to contact you I will reach out at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Its was a great elegance experience. The food was outstanding, great staff. A very cozy place that you'll forget you're in one of the busiest city. Love my executive suiye that faces the Lake Michagan. Everything was perfect! Will surely be back next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

From the minute you step inside the hotel, you know you are in a hotel that is comfortable in its own skin. The staff is very professional and the suites are memorable. If you have the fortune of getting lakefront, the view is mesmerizing. The concierge club is nice but far too small for the amount of guests that use it so you have to fight for a seat. The property is well maintained and very clean. My favorite part was the bench in some of the elevators--such a throwback to the elegance of the past.

Room Tip: Lake views are stunning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed for one night just before New Years Eve. We checked in early (and paid the $25) and enjoyed the city. Upon check in, I noticed several room's had food/dishes outside their doors. When we returned from shopping, there were still glasses outside of our room. I asked the housekeeper in the hallway to please remove them, and I received a "That's not my job, that's Room Service's...." For me, I have always placed the Drake near the top of my hotel choices, however, I am now seeing why they are only four stars/diamonds and not 5. You should never hear that from an employee. She moved the glasses from next to my door, down a few doors and everything else remained. In the morning when I checked out, there were french fries in the hallway and several food plates. The quality of the room was good, and the Concierge service was AMAZING! Both women that we talked with were excellent with recommendations and reservations. The front desk staff was very nice, so overall it was fine, but you never tell a customer no when it's something simple.

Room Tip: It's a great location, so any room is decent!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I'd like to thank you for sharing your observations on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that the front desk and concierge were accommodating however I was pained by your comments about our housekeeping staff. I can assure you "no" is not in The Drake's vocabulary.It is our standard to assist whoever, whenever, however we can. Please, alert management immediately of any displeasure you face during your next stay. In the meantime, I'd like to speak with you directly about your experience. If you would, please email me your contact information and TripAdvisor name and I'll reach out immediately. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our first stay at The Drake. The lobby, restaurant and staff were all within my expectations and quite lovely. The room we had was very surprisingly sub-par. The mattresses and pillows not comfortable, peeling wallpaper and heating not working properly. We reported these items at exit so hopefully this is an isolated incident they will take care of and not something that is throughout.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

While I'm pleased that our lobby, restaurant and staff met your expectations it weighs quite heavily on me that you did not find your accommodations to be up to par. I'd like to thank you for alerting our staff to the conditions you described and I assure you this is an isolated incident. I'd like to speak with you more regarding your time with us. If you'd please, email me your contact information and TripAdvisor name I'd greatly enjoy connecting with you directly. Thank you.