“food”

Ranked #79 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

the food at cape cod was not up to the mark. the lobster thermidor was unsatisfactory. the crab cakes was good. overall a very unsatisfactory meal. i have eaten in a quite a few seafood restaurants around the world and this seems to near the bottom of the list.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Julian ,
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your most recent dining with us. I sincerely regret to read that your experience fell below your expectation in Cape cod with the lobster thermidor.

I can be contacted at 312-932-4687, or at herve.cuyeu@hilton .com

I look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back our way at the Drake.

Herve Cuyeu
Executive Chef
Drake Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I chose this hotel based on the promises from their website for a very special birthday weekend for my husband. Here is what we were promised: Luxurious guest rooms with twice a day housekeeping service, plush terry bathrobes, high style furniture, luxurious marble bathroom and savor the Windy City from any one of our Deluxe Rooms.

The bell and valet staff were very professional and helpful. Front desk clerk when checking in was formal.

Our room was a beautifully historic room however the bed skirt was dirty and stained and the high style furniture was dusty and very nicked up. No plush terry robes were in sight but the worst part was the beautiful view we were promised. Our window was so disgustingly dirty and covered in cobwebs with tiny bugs all entwined in it that you seriously could not see out the window. Our view from the 2nd floor was of a nasty rooftop section. Day two we were not restocked with coffee, glasses, sugar, creamer and opened sugar packets remained by the coffee pot. We still had one packet of coffee left so we decided to let it go. The following day still no restock so we had to call down and request. We were told how sorry they were and they would send some up along with vouchers for free breakfast for two. Well we received our coffee but of course no vouchers. On the day of check out we called down for a bell man 3 times before one showed up 45 minutes later. He stated he was sorry but the desk never let him know we had called. We finally got our Tahoe from Valet and loaded and noticed two large ink blot stains on the leather console that we have still been unable to get out.

Rooms are very noisy. You can hear person in next room talking. This hotel could be a real gem but management has failed it greatly. It needs a good cleaning! I emailed management with my concerns several days ago and have never received an email back. I will never return to the Drake Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ginger S
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Ginger S,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointing stay you had with us, I have not received any correspondence from you and encourage you to forward it to me at kathryn.m.day@hitlon.com at your earliest convenience, or call me directly here at the hotel at 3129324505 so I can assist to resolve this for you and see what I can do to ensure you do to choose to stay with us again. I look forward to the opportunity to speak in person.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We've frequented the Drake for 40 years and recently witnessed its downturn into a ho-hum chain hotel. Those unique qualities of distinction are gone as the hotel needs repair and upkeep - plumbing, floor lobbies, e.g. Location is great, as is the Drake's rich history and old school elegance. However, those little details that made it special no longer prevail.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank lawrence s
Dear lawrence S,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Drake Hotel Chicago. I am sorry you feel the hotel is no longer as special and would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback in person at a time convenient to you. I can be contacted at 3129324505.

Vero Beach, Fl
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed for a weekend and had a wonderful time. The Hotel lobby was beautifully decorated with fresh flowers. We used the hotel concierge several times and unfortunately we felt misled. We asked for a reasonably priced steakhouse and they sent us to Rosebud's. It was a very expensive meal and the aged meat tasted rotten. We also asked for a great hot dog and they sent us to Portillo's. The hot dog was cold and the Big Beef Sub had no flavor. It was a Cute fast food restaurant but I am sure not the best hot dog in Chicago. The hotel staff were friendly and the room was quite nice and clean but the bed actually sloped down on each side due to years of use. The sheets and pillows were very soft. The workout room was excellent. Lot's of different modern exercise machinery, lot's of fresh towels and was much like a private spa. The Hotel had several restaurants and some were surprisingly reasonably priced.
One lesson from the trip was to use TripAdvisor for the restaurants as later I read the reviews on the restaurants and they were very accurate and better than using a concierge. I would definitely stay at the Drake again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LEvoyeur
Dear LEvoyeur,

Thank you for your candid review of your stay with us at The Drake Chicago. I appreciate your candor with regards to the quality of your mattress, as well as the recommendations of our team of concierge. I have passed your feedback to my team. I am glad you enjoyed the gym and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerely

Des Moines, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had problems with a noisy room near the elevators my first night at this hotel. After contacting the front desk I was immediately moved to quieter room for the remainder of my stay. Additionally, the fitness facilities were very nice and the hotel breakfast was great.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Cynthia L,

Apologies with regards your first room and the noise disturbance. I am so glad we could move you and you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,
silver lake
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came downtown for a concert. Wanted nice hotel ........called for room service, a pot of coffee @9 am. Took over an hour.
Thats not what I'd expect from Michigan Ave hotel.
Not sure I would go back. Yes, its only coffee. But that's the point.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mep604,

I am dispointed that we did not deliver in terms of service during your recent stay with us. Please contact me directly at 3129324505 so i can discuss with you what i can possibly do to ensure you will consider staying with us again.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak in person.

Kind regards,

Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Drake while on business and enjoyed the high ceilings, marble bathroom, big closets and great service. This a really nice place with a lot of character and I had an excellent experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear axr4,

Thank you for your five star review of your recent stay with us. I am excited that you enjoyed our decor and the features of the hotel. My team are looking forward to welcome you back again in the very near future,