“Perfect gate away hotel!!”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Northbrook, Illinois
“Perfect gate away hotel!!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great service, amazing view and location. We had the most enjoyable experience ever. Staff was nicest ever. You don't want to miss this next time you are in Chicago. We booked a month ahead and got a decent rate.

Room Tip: Great hotel to celebrate your next anniversary.
Dear Z H,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and the service of my team of staff. I look forward to welcome you back to the Drake on your next visit to Chicago.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Turkish first
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I grew up in Chicago 3rd generation so I know what a gem the Drake is. Was very disappointed a few years back So was hesitant to stay this past wknd for my niece's wedding. From the moment we arrived on Friday morning to our check out on Sunday everything was perfect! All 9 of us coming in from Denver (where we are spoiled by the Brown Palace and Broadmoor) had 3 exquisite connecting rooms on the 8th floor. My skeptical oldest son actually was looking for something to go wrong and it did not. Food was fantastic both in restaurants and banquets. Staff was unbelievable with smiles and helpfulness. I can not sing its praises enough!

Room Tip: I am silver hilton honors but also booked the room 5 months in advance
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear shortbutsweet52,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, from our restaurants and the service of my team of staff. I look forward to welcome you back very soon and encourage you to contact myself when you do.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked a room at the Drake last minute when our adult son who was a week between jobs decided to join us. The hotel previously booked could not accommodate 3 adults. The Drake had "Family Rooms" which were perfect without having the expense of another room to accommodate the 3 of us. It is a larger sized room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper with 2 BATHROOMS! Perfect! The three of us being family members anyway fit perfectly for us. The second bath is an absolute life saver with 3 adults no matter how friendly. The location was perfect, hotel staff helpful and friendly, the hotel lobby was lovely. Will definitely be back for our next Chicago visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear TNGirl53,
I am so glad you could enjoy spending time with your son here at the Drake and our family rooms. ON behalf of myself and my team, i look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed on the 10th floor (top floor) because it was said to be haunted by "the lady in red". Didn't see her but had an awesome room with a view of the best parts of Chicago. Room Service was excellent and the front desk staff was very helpful getting my luggage (delayed by the airline) to my room. Great hotel if you don't mind the cost. Now our FAVORITE hotel in Chicago.....

Room Tip: Old world style hotel. Very elegant. I had a room overlooking Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

4 Thank John P
Dear John P,

I am excited that we are your favorite hotel here in Chicago and look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am very pleased with my stay at the drake hotel in chicago. Kathryn Day, General Manager has done a fine job with all aspects of the hotel.

I found no negative issues that many other reviewers have posted.

Check In was very simple.

I appreciate The Drake being VERY pet Friendly. If you are traveling with your pet, the Drake is a great place to stay. Right outside the back entrance is a very large grassy area. Hotel staff was welcoming of our pet.

I requested a microwave one evening; it was brought to my room - At NO charge.
The room was basic, first floor (I highly recommend for dogs) We found the room to be plenty large.

The bathroom was acceptable for an older style hotel. Water pressure and Temp was fine.

There is a great place to grab coffee within the hotel. Great Location. ALSO out the back entrance is a Bike Rental area - very fun to rent bikes and take off.

I would Highly recommend the drake hotel in chicago for any traveler.

My only critique is - They should provide free internet for all guests.
Valet Parking is High As Kite, But it's the same at most all the hotels downtown.

Room Tip: Traveling With Pets Is Simple; Ask for First Floor Room, Take Stairs Down back Entrance.

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you wingslogo84 for your review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to see you again very soon,

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Attended a conference at this hotel. Beautiful lobby but on leaving the lobby in all directions were steps either going up or going down except for the floor elevator on the lobby level. Afternoon tea is served and requires a reservation. Convenient for city tours.

Room Tip: My room was on the 9th floor and was quite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you Parsons9593 for a great review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel, the location and our famous afternoon tea.

I hope to see you again very soon when traveling to this area.

East Providence, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I'm not going to lie, being a Diamond preferred member and hearing my request for a lake view room could not be met, I was a bit disappointed. But, after that moment everything was perfect. Beautiful rooms, executive lounge was great, and awesome options for dinner/drinks in the hotel. First time in Chicago and didn't know where to stay, this location is IDEAL. as close to Lake Michigan as you can get and right on Magnificent Mile as well. A winner in my books!

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Joshua I,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Drake Chicago, our location, our restaurants and bars and our Executive Lounge. Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton as a Diamond Member and we hope to see you again very soon.