“Love the Drake, but....”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Tampa, Florida
“Love the Drake, but....”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Drake is a wonderfully historic landmark piece of Chicago. The service is outstanding, the staff are very pleasant and attentive, and the views - inside and lake - are gorgeous! The only downside is the gorgeous and impressive sets of stairs. The Drake was built in 1920 and there are stairs everywhere. If you have arthritic knees, that complicates things quite a lot. We went to a wedding which was LOVELY - but required walking up and down quite a few stairs to get from the pre-reception cocktail area to the dinner area, etc. I had a little help from the staff and was able to use a couple of utility elevators, but not always. And the elegant customer elevators to not go to all floors.

Room Tip: It is worth a few extra dollars to get the Lake View room!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank brendarmar
Dear brendarmar,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Drake Chicago. I am so sorry you found our stairs a challenge. As you noted, we are a historic property, and as such we have some limitations at times.

On behalf of my team, i look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Turkish first
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Spectacular hotel! Gorgeous hotel with many amenities!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! A lot of history within these walls including the famous bar carvings downstairs! PS the staff here have been nothing bit welcoming and enjoyable!

Stayed August 2014
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your review Jkw5029, especially your acknowledgment of the service of my team of staff.

On behalf of my entire team we look forward to welcome you back to the Drake Chicago very soon,

Edinburgh, Indiana
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff, especially the security personnel, were very friendly and efficient! My mother was in a wheel chair and they took extra steps to make all of the areas of the hotel accessible to her. We were attending my nephew's wedding reception there and it could not have been any nicer!

Room Tip: We didn't have a view of the lake but the rooms that did had spectacular views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joanne H,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us for your nephew's reception, especially the acknowledgment of our security team. I have shared your feedback with them.

As a team, we look forward to see you again very soon when you return to this area.

Sincere regards,

Erwin, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Upon my first visit to Chicago I was told by my best-traveled friends to stay only at The Drake. Upon arrival I found the curb staff to be most unhelpful. The front desk staff seemed to be inconvenienced by my so much as checking-in, much less any other requests that I made including making change, etc. Upon arriving to my room, I found a plate of half eaten room service food which remained in place for nearly 24 hours. I also found other odd quirks here and there such as no stationery, torn lampshades, and windows so dirty they appeared to be tinted. Upon asking for stationery, I was given a small stack of white printer paper and five plain envelopes. Although I arrived at the hotel nine times in a taxicab, the door was opened only once, although the curb staff stuck out an eager hand each time a can was hailed. Overall, I was very disappointed. I've stayed in many fine hotels, and I cannot count The Drake among them.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Tyler E
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you TNEngle for your review of your stay with us.

I am sincerely sorry we did not provide you with the service you should have received, especially with regards to our door team, and the service consistency of our front desk. I have passed your comments on and my teams have taken them constructively. With regards to the writing paper in the room, this should be having been stocked in your draw and provided when requested. This I have also addressed with my team.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again when you return to this area. When you do, please reach out to me at 3129324505 to assist you.

Sincere regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Drake for years and this last trip was not up to the Drake's usual standards.
There was a party in the room adjacent to ours which very loud. I called down to the desk and complained and the response from Chad was"What would you like me to do about it?" I would think that the answer to that question would have been obvious.
After 3 encounters with the front desk, security finally showed and ousted a party of 15 girls. Later that evening the noise returned and since we had an early departure planned we packed and left.
I have a high status with Hilton and will probably not choose the Drake again because of this experience.
On a higher note, the Coq de Or bar is wonderful and the Dover sole in the Cap Cod room is the best in the city. The service in both was of the highest quality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Jay A,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am sincerely sorry you were disturbed by the noise from the nearby room and we did not react appropriately. I would like for you to contact me when you return to this area so I can assist with your arrangements. I would like to ensure you do choose to stay with us and your stay is as you remember from previous stays. I can be contacted at 3129324505 and look forward to assist you.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A quiet, clean and very nice room. A beautiful hotel wonderfully located close to everything. Very friendly staff who made us feel extra special. It was a real treat staying at such a fabulous, and historic, Chicago hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Michymoo2U,

Thank you for a great review of your stay with us at the Drake. On behalf of my team and myself we look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Minneapolis, MM
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My experience at the Drake was wonderful. All the staff were helpful and courteous. The location is perfect for just about anything and it was great that many shops and restaurants were also located perfectly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear paisleypetal,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to review it for others to read. My team of staff looks forward to look after you again when you come to Chicago.