“Grand and Charming, you will not be disappointed. Great location and view of Lake Michigan.”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #82 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We stayed at The Drake for our 5 year wedding anniversary in August 2009. The hotel is located just north of The John Hancock building on Michigan Avenue. The hotel is very grand and charming. They recently went through an extensive remodeling project and everything looks great. They even upgraded our room because of our anniversary. Our room was perfect and overlooked Lake Michigan. You can walk out the front door of The Drake and you’re at Lake Michigan. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We were greeted curbside by Ben with a smile. He helped us unload our luggage and was very friendly. We used the parking garage a few doors down on Walton. It was less expensive than the hotel parking; $35 a day verses $49. The location is perfect and you’re walking distance to the entire down town attractions. You can also grab the red line which is close by on Chicago Ave. The buses work out well too. We took the Michigan Ave Museum Campus Bus to Shedd Aquarium.

The historic hotel is packed with stories. The book inside your room tells a lot about the hotel, especially the history. The Cape Cod Lounge is really neat because it’s basically the same as it was in the 1920’s. The bartender was very knowledgably about the history of the Cape Cod Lounge. Ask him to look at the “MM” that Joe DiMaggio carved into the bar for his wife Marilyn Monroe. The Gold Coast Room and the Palms Room are very elegant. You will not be disappointed with The Drake.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 August 2009

Gracious, lovely semi-restored grand hotel in a spectacular location near where Michigan Ave becomes Lake Shore Dr. Lobby is elegant, Elevators are fast but small, and there is no indicating light to indicate which of the 6 has arrived at one's floor, until the door opens. My guest room door did not properly close and I had to pull or shove it closed. Room was spacious, and the window even opened a few inches...marvelous! The bed was wonderful, but there was a small refrigerator plopped in the room...useful , and appreciated, but rather unsightly. I*n a hotel of this caliber, it should appear to be "built in" rather than freestanding. Staff was pleasant and helpful for my 2 day visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Flaesb
thedrakechicago, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2009

Dear Trip Advisor,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments about your stay and I am sorry to hear about the refrigerator in your room. That is certainly not our standard as our minibars are located inisde of a credenza in the guest rooms. I have advised our Housekeeping Department to relocate this out-of-place refrigerator. We are begnining the final phase of our hotel renovation program and it may be the room you had did not have the credenza completed. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious rooms and windows that are able to be opened. Please contact me directly if I can provide any additional information. (tom.thomas@hilton.com). We look forward to welocmnig you back to The Drake in the future. Best regards, Tom Thomas, General Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2009

Just returned from a 2 1/2 day convention at The Drake & was pleasantly surprised by its classic elegance. Our 6th floor room was spacious & comfortable. The bathroom location provided lots of privacy. The banquet food served to several hundred of us Friday night through Sunday brunch was some of the tastiest I've enjoyed in some time. Our servers did an excellent job! The place was very quiet considering the Air & Water Show was just outside. The elevators were somewhat small, but prompt. Their narrow doors weren't very forgiving if you got in their way. Built in 1930, there are lots of stairs in some areas. Expression by Lavazza on the ground level serves great Italian coffee, sandwiches & ice cream Oak Street beach is a short walk away. I hope to be able to stay at the Drake again.

Reviewed 16 August 2009

Just one word: spectacular !! The Staff: classy and serviceable. All tops !!

Reviewed 13 August 2009

I stayed at the Drake for 3 nights. The service was friendly, and it's not a bad locatiion, but way too salty for what you get. Actually Chicago is the "second city" for a reason, it just can't hold a candle to New York. One bright spot was the Rosebud Steakhouse just down the street, excellent restaurant.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I was excited to stay at the Drake because I'd heard so much about it. And true, it has an amazing location, and it is very nice. It's just not qutie as nice as I expected.

The reservation process was annoying. First, the hotel made an error on my reservation and then the hotel did absolutely nothing to correct the mistake. Then I requested early check-in and wasn't told that I'd have to pay a $25 fee to check in at noon, and so I booked a flight to arrive at the hotel at noon, and then was told about the fee. I would have liked to have known that when I requested early check-in - just good info to be aware of, and in general, I felt that the hotel was very unresponsive to problems.

My room was a bit old. It was a good sized room, although I did hear there were some tiny rooms. The bathroom had been updated, but I'm thinking it may have happened in the late 80s or early 90s. So it had granite, and was a dececnt size, but the bathtub was no nicer than any economy hotel and the flush on the toilet was on the wall and looked like a public restroom flush. The bed was qutie nice - nothing blew me away, but it was nice.

No robes, no slippers. Nothing else to signify "luxury hotel."

Room service seemed even pricier than one could expect and mediocre. Ditto for the bar where I went to lunch one day.

There is a business center, but it cost me $12 to spend 6 minutes on the computer to print 4 pages. Just ridiculous to charge that kind of money considering how much guests spend to stay and dine at the Drake. I know many hotels that aren't specifically for business travelers charge fees at the business center, but it just comes across as petty.

My view of the lake and the city was phenomenal, though, and the location really is spectacular.

I wouldn't recommend the Drake to a friend because I think there are better/nicer/cheaper hotels in Chicago, but if my friend was intent on staying at the Drake I certainly wouldn't discourage him/her.

Reviewed 11 August 2009

The Drake should be a world class hotel as it has so much going for it. Location is the best in Chicago - opposite Bloomingdales, near Rush Street, overlooking the beach. It has history and a definate sense of granduer. That said, it is now looking a bit tired. The public areas are OK, but the rooms have a little wear and tear (but are still certainly very acceptable). Service is also a bit surly at times. That said the price seems to reflect this. We paid about $350 per night for a junior suite. To me this is excellent value. We tend to stay in more expensive places than the Drake - but the location and style of the Drake make it our regular stop in Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple