“Still a great hotel”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here July 16-18. Though it's an older hotel, the Drake has been renovated and kept up very well. It still has that charm of an older, exclusive hotel, but the rooms are big and have new furnishings (including flat screen tvs). We stayed in a king room and the bedding was very comfortable. We didn't use WiFi but were told it was available in our room on the 5th floor. The hotel is a totally non-smoking hotel.

The lobby is smaller than most lobbies these days but is very beautiful. Just a few steps up from the lobby is the Palm Court, which is where they serve afternoon tea and seemed to have some sort of music (piano, harpist, etc). There's a also a full bar in that area.

Located at the top of N. Michigan Ave., the Drake is directly across the street from Bloomingdales and the other shops on Michigan are nearby. The Hancock building is a block away and the Water Tower Place mall is 2 blocks away.

Overall, the service was great. We had plenty of towels, check in was quick and easy, check out can be done by phone from your room. Taxis are always available right outside the front door. The El station is a few blocks away on Chicago Ave.

I highly recommend this hotel. On the next block over, we ate at The Grill and Cafe Med, both of which were casual but had great, upscale food and a nice wine list. Both also had sidewalk seating. We came across the restaurant Feast, which was also good, but the service was a bit slow. If nightlife is your thing, the Wit hotel near the loop has a great rooftop bar called Roof. Very trendy with fire pits and a great view of the city. The crowd was all ages who were dressed in everything from shorts and t-shirts to summer dresses. Of course, if you want Chicago deep dish pizza, check out Giordano's. It's nearby on Rush.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Drake twice, and we really love it. The secret, however, is that you really need to upgrade to get a nice room. We've always upgraded, but we've had friends who have stayed in the standard rooms, and they say it's like staying in a closet with a view of the fire escape - if that. (I think a lot of "upscale" hotels are like this. The standard rooms are worse than a Holiday Inn, but the nicer rooms are spectacular.)

The first time we stayed at the Drake, we requested a lake view room, and it had the most spectacular views!! The room was huge and had a little sitting area. The bathroom was small, but the size of the main room more than made up for it. On this trip, I was ill and had to spend a lot of time in the room, so the views were very important to me. I also ordered a lot of room service, and I have to say the food was excellent.

The second time we stayed there, we requested an Executive Room on a high floor. We were on the 9th floor with a view overlooking the front entrance. Since Chicago is a city with tall skyscrapers, a "city view" is really just a view of the skyscraper across the street. It was still a very pretty view, and sure, it's entertaining to watch the people in the windows across the way, but I think the Lake View rooms are far better.

In any case, our "city view" room was beautiful. It was smaller than the first "lake view" room, but we really loved the Executive Lounge, which is worth the price of the upgrade because you are provided with free buffet breakfast daily, free drinks and appetizers in the evening (alcohol for a small reasonable fee), free cans of soft drinks any time, and free computer usage. It also has that gorgeous view of the lake that our room was lacking.

The beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. In fact, after our first trip I went on a hunt to find out who makes the beds so that we could buy one.

The lobby is beautiful and worth a walk through even if you don't stay here. We enjoyed the bar downstairs, which sometimes was so crowded you couldn't walk through and at other times was nearly empty.

The location is very good. You can walk the Magnificent Mile fairly easily, and you are close to wonderful restaurants. I took the bus to the Art Institute and the Museum of Natural History, but taxis are readily available outside the hotel.

I know we will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank AvalonDive
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed here for one night. Checked in with an Hhonors booking, and upgraded from basic room to the next one up. Fantastic views of the beach/lake.

Valet parking superb ($49), bell boy, concierge all excellent.

Rooms are simply breath taking. Amazing marble bath rooms, gigantic bed, great TV. Mini bar expensive but that is to be expected. Lavazza coffee for free in the room.

The bed was simply magical, and was so comfortable. I had the best sleepthat I have ever had in a hotel room.

Plenty of TV channels, and they advise that they are now upgrading all rooms to High Definition TV.

Great coffee shop just out the front door and to the right that serves amazing Lavazza coffee (best I have had in the US).

Location is awesome, close to Michigan Ave for shopping, and 20 minute walk to Navy pier. Right next to John Hancock building.

The only disappointment was no free Wifi in the room (but there was in the lobby).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I want to first off say that I am not a fussy travellor. I have stayed around the world in all types of hotels, from 2 stars to 5 stars.

I was very vigilent in reading Tripadvisor and other reviews on other sites before booking with the Drake.
There were many poor reviews, but I chalked them up to be fussy people. The NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE NOT EXAGGERATED!

Now, the Drake is not a horrible hotel by any means. The lobby is very beautiful, and Im sure that people who book the big expensive suites are treated wonderfully, but do not be pulled in by the allure of it being a "high class" or a landmark hotel if you are staying in a standard room.

I booked our 3 night stay via an internet booking site. This was a spur of the moment getaway to celebrate with my boyfriend. We were celebrating both of our birthdays as well as his graduation from Medical School with distinction. Needless to say, this was a very big occasion for us both.

After reading tripadvisor, I saw that the General manager, Russell Menkes reads these reviews, and offers explanations for unhappy guests and his contact info. So I decided to email Mr. Menkes, telling him I had booked via Travelocity and to ask him if he would be able to assist me in reserving a room with a view or on a higher floor, or if the Drake provides anything for celebrations. I emailed him over weeks before our travel date and he has yet to respond to me. I feel that this is very unprofessional. Even if he were to answer me to say that they were unable to accomodate my request, it is better than not answering me at all.

After getting no response from Mr. Menkes, I emailed the general reception desk regarding the same matter, where I received a response riddled with grammar and spelling errors (which is no crime, but again reinforced the feeling of unprofessionalism), informing me that the room I have been assigned is not known for its view, and if I wanted a view, it would cost XX dollars more per night, and this offer would expire in 24 hours. I thought that perhaps they were offering me a special "discounted" rate to get a room with a view, however, I checked on Travelocity and I could have easily upgraded to a room with a view for much LESS than what I was quoted. I didnt like that very much.

I responded by saying, no I would not like to upgrade my room, however, it would be appreciated if they could place us on a higher floor if possible, view or no view. I received no response to that email. They did not place me on a higher floor.

When arriving at the hotel, check-in was a breeze. very fast and efficient. However, once getting to the room, I could see that they had placed us in what must have been one of their worst rooms in the hotel.

The room's air conditioning unit was SO incredibly loud. It clicked and clanked ALL night. and every time it turned on, the noise was equiv to the sound of a small hand held vacuum cleaner. It woke both me and my boyfriend up several times during the night. Furthermore, it was not very powerful. We happened to stay there during the extreme heatwave, and it would have been nice to have an air con unit that didnt produce musty air.

The wall paper was bubbling and peeling off the wall in a very large sections, the wall paper looked a bit dirty and worn. Definitely NOT was I was expecting out of a hotel like the Drake. Ive stayed in motels that are nicer than that.
The bathroom, however, was very nice, it was obvious that money had been put into renovations (marble floor, new tiling etc.), HOWEVER, where the carpet meets the marble at the doorway, there was a nail that stuck up underneath the carpet that I inadvertantly stepped on that ripped a big cut on the bottom of my foot! BEWARE, as I read another tripadvisor reviewer said the same thing.

The bedding was worn, the skirt of the bed was torn, and the cups in the room were dirty.

Now, I have had family members stay at the Drake previously, but in large suites. They had a fantastic time, and the service and room were great for them.
However, it is quite apparant that for people who do not stay in their fancy suites, they are not treated the same as their "richer" guests.

Overall, I had booked the Drake in hopes of celebrating and living in a luxury hotel for a few days. Instead, I was treated as a second rate guest and shoved into one of the worst hotel rooms Ive ever stayed at in North America. The Drake was a huge disappointment, and you can take the money you spend at the Drake and go to any of the other wonderful hotels on the Mile and be treated much better.

It is a shame that the Drake service is so poor, as I know I will be travelling to and from Chicago frequently, and they have definitely lost a customer in me.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sng622
thedrakechicago, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Dear Trip Advisor,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for your disappointing visit. As I am sure you can tell from the many wonderful reviews posted about The Drake, the service you received unfortunately did not live up to our normal very high standards of service. Please be assured we welcome all guests with the same level of service and attention regardless of the type of room they have reserved. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service or issues with a particular guest room. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will let us know the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, we will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay. Russell Menkes, General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2010

Not only is The Drake full of history and beauty, but the location is awesome as is the staff and the restaurants. We love The Drake! The rooms are really nice. The workout facility is really nice also and has been updated.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I have stayed in this hotel quite a few times and I have never been let down. As a matter of fact, on my last trip to Chicago I was upgraded to a suite. The room service was impeccable and I found the front desk staff as well as housekeeping incredibly polite and helpful. People who complain about the front desk being on the phone have clearly never had to actually work customer service. This is something the people at the front desk have to do. You can't go wrong with this hotel. It's one of the classics and you are still treated like royalty.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The Drake is a throwback to an era where hotels were a place to see and be seen...true glamor! The lobby is grand and elegant, and the public areas are immaculately clean. Check-in was fast, and the concierge (Ron) was so kind to recommend a great dinner spot and obtain a reservation for us. The room was spacious enough with a queen bed, walk-in closet, desk, and flat-screen TV. The hallways were wide and bright - something rarely seen in modern hotels. The lounge is great (albeit pricey) - try the French Martini!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business