“An Institution That's a Great Hotel Option in Chicago”

Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago
Ranked #94 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“An Institution That's a Great Hotel Option in Chicago”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

A beautifully decorated hotel. Spacious lobby. Nice little nooks with almost Victorian Style decorating that makes you feel at home, but also makes one feel the prestige associated with a 5 star hotel. Staff was extremely helpful. Help was much appreciated given that I had stayed at the MKH during my very first trip to Chicago (and the States). Concierge was extremely helpful in giving my dad and I directions, tips, and assistance re: securing tickets and getting to and from the hotel and the United Center for an Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Concert. Located perpendicular to the tail end of the Magnificent Mile. Located near many shopping spots, restaurants, and a number of historical landmarks. Ate breakfast at their restaurant ("Nix") a couple of times too and the food was value for money. If I ever do make it back to the Windy City, I am definitely going to stay at the MKH.

*Late review though, as I was at the MKH in June 2009*

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about the concierge and are happy to hear that they helped make your stay even more enjoyable. My team and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Florencio Ferrao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I recently stayed at Millennium Knickerbocker Dec 27th-Jan 5th and overall it met & in many ways exceeded my expectations. Super friendly staff who you really got to know Sam, Steven, Heirberto. Everyone was eager to help. In particular they were really flexible letting my girlfriend checking in when my flight was delayed (we were traveling from different locations).

The hotel has a certain charm and I would definitely recommend it over a Sheraton or Hilton if you want a more personalised Chicago experience. There are probably fancier, slicker hotels around but I don't think you will find many at the same price point with the same welcome & service.

The superior king was a good size and I thought great value for money for a city the size of Chicago. The location is great too right off the Magnificent Mile. While breakfast isn't included....this isn't a deal breaker as there are plenty of diners around (although free coffee would be nice) & the food in the hotel is decent also. The wifi in the lobby was strong & free - I still think its ridiculous that you need to pay 10 bucks a day for wifi in your room but this seems to be common for most U.S. hotels.

The only issue which left a sour note were the phone charge for usage of our hotel room phone - or rather the miscommunication around this. My girlfriend asked the front desk where/how she could make a long distance call & it was suggested that she could use a call card from our room phone - despite using the card on all calls we ended up with a bill for $300. I think cautioning against using any kind of phone card in future would be preferable as this (given the card was used & had not expired & was used for all calls - we are not that green!) I was pretty shocked to see these charges. I think there was an element of miscommunication here on the part of the front desk & some flexibility on this would have been appreciated. It was not to be.

This aside I have nothing but good things to say about the hotel & would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: I think the superior king is worth the extra few bucks. Ask for a street view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank P G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Your kind remarks about our team members are highly valued and I will make sure to share them with the rest of our staff.

Comments like yours enable our continuous pursuit of improvement in our services and facilities. I will certainly address the concern regarding communication about calling card charges with the head of the pertaining department.

We hope that you had a wonderful trip to Chicago and thank you again for sharing your review.

General Manger
Aledo, Illinois
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Due to the Amtrak trains being cancelled, I was forced to spend 3 more days in Chicago. I had always wanted to stay at the Millennium Knickerbocker, so I left my first hotel to go to this one.

Upon entering the hotel I was impressed with the beautiful decor. This is definitely a world-class hotel. The check in was friendly and efficient. I was sent up to room 402 which was nicely appointed. The room was very comfortable. It's not as large as some people have accustomed to, but if you're used to European hotels you will find this one nice and spacious. The bathroom was beautiful and the rain shower was a nice touch (though it takes forever to get hot water and the water pressure leaves some to be desired). The bath amenities were a nice touch as well. The room was CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Not a smudge nor a stray hair in the room. The room was quiet and I am sad that I had to leave.

The location is absolutely perfect. I cannot stress how much I loved it. It's steps away from Water Tower Place and the Contemporary Art Museum,

I ate at the restaurant a total of 3 times: twice for breakfast and once for lunch on my last day. The service was excellent and the food was very delicious as well.A nice touch to the perfect stay.

As I said in my title, this is my new favorite hotel in Chicago. You feel special the moment you arrive until the sad moment where you have to leave. I can't say enough good things about this spectacular hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank nogentais1986
Dear Guest,

We love to read the praises of our recent guests and we thank you for taking the time from your day to share your experience. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from the room to our location and the Nix restaurant to our “excellent” service. We hope that you return soon and stay at your “new favorite hotel in Chicago”.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Millenium Knickerbocker offers the character of a boutique hotel with the value of a premier urban property. Rooms were large, comfortable and well appointed. The rainfall shower required a bit of effort to regulate water pressure, but once that was resolved it was very nice. The lobby is spacious and attractive. The lobby bar was well stocked, service was very good, and prices reasonable for Chicago. The staff was attentive, friendly, and capable.

My lone complaint is the price for parking at the hotel. At $63 for overnight parking, it is more expensive than several of the surrounding garages, including the Drake located across the street ($42).

I've been a big fan of the Drake, but the Knickerbocker is now on my list of preferred Chicago hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your kind comments about your room and the service you received from our staff.

We appreciate your feedback on the cost of overnight parking. We have done a study of hotel parking costs in the area and our prices are comparable with these hotels. The parking cost includes full valet services as well as in and out privileges.

We are delighted to hear that the Knickerbocker is now on your list of preferred Chicago hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Friends recommended the hotel and we were very impressed. Loved the old character and charm with updated amenities. Perfect location and we walked everywhere. We arrived late our first night and the front desk staff were excellent in recommending a nearby restaurant for a late dinner. Will definitely choose the same hotel next time we're in Chicago.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mom22gurlz
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We love to read the praises of our recent guests and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your recognition of our “perfect location” and “excellent” staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

arlington, va
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Can't beat the location. Hotel was bigger than I thought. I guess I'm used to New York boutique hotel's which are shoe boxes. This was large and nice. Everything was great. Park across the street at Drake for $42. The hotel charges I believe $67 for basically the same thing. You can also go to walgreens a few blocks over and get a flex unlimited bus/subway pass for $10 a day. We used that, very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel. We are happy to hear that you greatly enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our “great location”. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re in Chicago!