“Great hotel, average room”

Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago
Ranked #98 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Ok guys, this is a great historic hotel in the heart of the city. Just get into the lobby and breathe the grandeur of the belle époque. The staff was gentle and efficient. I give three stars for the room. I booked through their website and paid the fully flexible rate. I expected the room was much bigger and comfortable, at least according to what described in the website and to the US standard. Tiny bathroom. The view was not nice (rear side of the hotel). What I find very disappointing in 2014 is to pay for wifi connection. On the other side, the room was clean, and the mattress excellent. To me, not good value for money (of course, not a budget hotel!). At the same conditions, would not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just got back from 3 day stay here. Lobby of hotel is very ornate and beautiful. Small restaurant to the left and a nice size bar area to the right. Check in was flawless and front desk staff were very friendly. Sixth floor room with king bed. Room was a little crammed with this bed. Dressers and end tables were old and worn. Swivel chair at desk was from the eighties and falling apart. Bathroom was very modern with updated fixtures and and huge walk in shower with rain shower head. The bed was very comfy but the pillows were very soft. The room was very clean and neat. Hotel is at north end of Magnificent Mile and 1 block east of Michigan ave. It is about 12 blocks north of the Chicago river so it is not exactly centrally located. We had very good weather for the first two days so we did not mind walking everywhere we wanted to go. 5 stars for the service here but 3 stars for the room. Got a deal on Hotwire but do not thnk I would pay full price to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not get 601. No view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As a partner in the restaurant industry, I wanted to take a minute to recognize and thank the Knickerbocker for a great stay... But, that's not the purpose of this review / write up. In my haste to jump in a cab, with a phone attached to my ear, I left behind my bag. I immediately contacted the hotel and Simeon located it quickly and I said I would turn around and return.

If Chicago traffic wasn't bad enough, battling it once, now I get to enjoy it three times... Oh well, my fault, right? Seconds later Simeon calls me back and says, Mr. Kendall, no need to return, I will put your bag in a car and have it sent to you at the airport.

That's service! Not to mention a HUGE time saver. Simeon, I thank you very much and please, never stop that level of care, concern and hospitality.

Cheers
Brian Kendall

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank BKendall72
Reviewed 15 July 2014

People say that visiting Chicago in July is a toss-up. It could be hot and humid, is was not. It could be raining and thunderstorms, it wasn't. We were met by mid 70's and 57% (which is low for Chicago) and everyday was a true adventure.
Our hotel is an art-deco style building in the heart Chicago, built in mid 1920's with NIX a breakfast and lunch bright, colorful eatery with some great music provided by our knowledgeable waiter Andre. Some people might say it is a bit pricey, but your in a 5 star hotel in Chicago. Front desk staff was pleasant and quick to assist you. People also have said that the WiFi in rooms should be free, but again if your on vacation why do you need WiFi. The rooms have not been changed from when they were new so they seem small to some guests. The elevators are original size too also a bit small but OK. If you need assistance from concierge both Cheryl and her counterpart really know their stuff. Stop by most anytime to find out about eateries, museums, boat tours, etc. The deco style bar in lobby area had a special 'Tapas and Flamenco evening with great "small dishes" like fajitas chicken egg rolls-yummy, huge green-lipped mussels from New Zealand-largest we have ever seen and delicious, and more. We could not ask for better with fabulous guitarists and beautiful Spanish dancer.
Those were the best comments. The worst are that hotel charges $65 a day to park a car (outrageous) The new computers in rooms need correcting they go on at 8 a.m. and if you pull the plug-it will disconnect your telephone. All in all the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago was great!

Room Tip: Talk to Greg bellman he knows a great deal about hotel, cabs, just about everything.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I highly recommend this hotel. All of the hotel personnel that I interacted with were so professional and helpful- from the concierges at the front desk to the staff at the check in desk. For example, I arrived much earlier than expected and thought I would check my bags until a room was available. But as soon as I arrived, the staff at the greet desk suggested I go to the check in desk. At the check in desk, the staff immediately looked to see if a room was available and it was. She didn't have to do this and it was a busy time in the lobby. Also later I had to ask for directions from another staff person at the greet desk and he also was very helpful and knowledgeable. Even the maids were polite, smiling and helpful.
The room itself was really great. Quiet. Well designed. I even had a bit of a view of the Lake!

It is a fantastic location. Quiet. So close to the beaches. I went for a wonderful walk in the morning on the lakeshore.

At checkout the person who helped me also was very friendly and polite. This is a very carefully and well managed hotel. All of the aspects of my experience did not happen by accident. I was very impressed by the quality in all aspects.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that allows you to see a sliver of the lake. It was so terrific to be able to see the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2014

You could not book a hotel in a better location. At the corner of Michigan Ave for shopping, State Ave for nightlife and great restaurants, and 5 mins away from the beach. Wifi is 10$ per day, but complimentary in the lobby. We were 4 in a room and it was totally fine: The bathroom and amenities are great, the bed and pillows quite comfy. The staff is friendly and the place was spotless. But again... location location location!

Room Tip: Ask for a view facing the street. Our original room faced an inner court and another building's...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChanelPea
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Great location in the city, very close to Michigan ave shopping, restaurants and biking distance to the Navy pier and other attractions. The staff here were amazingly friendly and I want to say thank you to all especially Edward S at the front desk

Stayed: July 2014