“Great hotel and location”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #9 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Check in was quick and we were really pleased with the decor and cleanliness of our room. The bed was comfortable and considering Chicago is such a big city there was no noise from outside traffic. I use Molton Brown products at home and have never seen them in a hotel before which was a pleasant surprise. We didn't eat or have a drink in the restaurant. The location was perfect for the Hancock centre, hop on hop off bus tour and the red line l train. During my holiday I stayed in another hotel in Chicago and one in Seattle and this was superior of the three. Will be staying here again on my next visit.

1  Thank Cath333
There are newer reviews for The Talbott Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location in Chicago where I stayed one night. The room we had was outdated with smelly carpet and old bathroom fixtures; It looked that there is not enough ventilation and the stuffy smell in this room was not acceptable. The A/C is noisy and also smelly. The bedding however was very comfortable. Internet and TV in room is up to date. We were told that breakfast was being taking care by the restaurant which is not part of the hotel. Quite confusing. We ended up by not having breakfast there. The personnel working there was courteous, however checking out, I was not being able to get a bill for the extras that we took (mini bar) which was charged later on on my credit card. I insisted, the attendant mentioned that they would send me the bill by email and he could not give me a receipt of my hotel stay ?? as I made the reservation through American Express. 2 days later, I am still waiting for a receipt and my card got debited. Their web site is not Mac friendly and I was not able to make a reservation through their web site. So in short, The Talbott was ok for one night, however I will most likely try another hotel for my next stay in Chicago; the rooms need to be freshened up.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank talamenthe
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was only here for one night but it was well worth it. The staff here are exceptional and very helpful from the moment you get out of the taxi right through to making dinner reservations.

I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade upon arrival so I might be a little biased but with the upgrade aside, everything was very nice. The concierge Gene was really helpful in finding out a nice restaurant and even took the liberty in organising free desserts for our table which I thought was pretty sneaky.

Room and restaurant were quality. My only criticism would be the sluggish lifts and wifi if I had to throw pebbles. Would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are quieter and larger.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Btrain_3000
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My hubby and I were so happy we stayed there as it was centered to all that we wanted to see. We walked everywhere from there and I'm 61. Classy place, good service, doormen were sweethearts, especially Dwayne. Free breakfast at the restaurant next door and food was yummy especially the French Toast, a must have!!!

2  Thank GrahamBert
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Wonderful hotel. Intimate, quiet retreat from a busy city. 15th floor king one bedroom suite was perfect for 2 gals. Sofa, comfortable chair, work desk & chair and wet / mini bar in living area. Free wifi and computer in room was amazing. Bathroom was perfect for us with 2 sinks, marble shower and separate tub. Linens were superb. Staff was welcoming and helpful. Kathy at the concierge desk was absolutely spot on for dinner recommendations, tours and general information. Our room was very quiet and relaxing. We almost stayed at the Waldorf but happy we chose the Talbott right next door. Waldorf lobby and bar seemed sterile and cold. Location can't be beat and we walked to most city attractions and appreciated the close in restaurants near the hotel. Bar was very good and we took our nightly adult beverage to enjoy in the quiet sitting areas adjacent. Think dark wood, leather, warm and intimate ambience. We will be repeat guests for many years to come. Staff was exceptional.

Room Tip: One bedroom is worth the extra $. High floor was good. Use the concierge services - exceptional - an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SJaneSeattle_WA
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at the Talbott Hotel for a week. Such a gem of a hotel!! My fiancé and I travelled the states for a month and the Talbott Hotel is the first place we would want to come back to!
We loved Chicago and we loved the Talbott.
The hotel is perfectly positioned, close to restaurants and shopping. A wonderful neighbourhood, so clean and chic.
We were upgraded to a suite when we checked in which was really appreciated. We had a few problems with the room but the manager sorted it out immediately and moved us to another room on the 7th floor.
The room we had was spectacular, very large with a separate living area, great technology and views onto the street below.
The concierge and front desk were really friendly and helpful.
We ate breakfast at the hotel each morning and thoroughly enjoyed it, great atmosphere.
Only positive things to say about this hotel. Hope to be back sooooon!

Room Tip: Room on the 7th floor was far better than rooms on lower floors, so you don't have to look direc...
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband and I have been staying at The Talbott annually since 2008. As others have commented, the service is exceptional, and the location is terrific. I booked the room directly with the hotel, and got a great rate ($195--$225 after taxes) which included two $15 breakfast vouchers at The Little Market restaurant in the hotel. Upon check-in, I asked whether we could stay in the same room we'd been in several times, and the desk clerk was happy to oblige. He said, "That's kind of YOUR room, huh?" and I said, "Yes--except for the times we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite." I honestly didn't expect any changes, so was floored when he said, "Well, let me see what I can do" and upgraded us (at no charge--just like the last two times) to a lovely suite on the 14th floor! The breakfast was excellent (I had the market breakfast--a continental--and the scones, muffins, fruit, yogurt, and house-made granola were wonderful! My husband had the spinach/chorizo omelette which he raved about, and he's not someone who usually raves about breakfast!). The Talbott truly goes above and beyond, and always makes us feel like we're coming "home." If you want a boutique hotel in Chicago, there is nowhere better!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple