“Great hotel, great service and great location”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Texas
“Great hotel, great service and great location”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

All the staff we encountered at this hotel were professional, friendly and helpful. Our room was very comfortable and surprisingly large for a downtown hotel in a large city. We would definitely recommend this place and would stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at the Talbott for one night and received "royal treatment" according to my daughter! We reserved the American Girl package! The doll bed and turn down service is fantastic! The attention to detail is outstanding! Our room was very clean, smelled nice, and the beds super comfortable! The staff is outstanding! Our concierges greeted us by name as we arrived, front desk staff was extremely cheerful, & helpful! Perry was fantastic with our girls! Short walk to "Magnificent Mile Shopping", restaurants close by, and a wonderful little market around the corner! The wonderful staff at The Talbott made this a trip we won't forget!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Reasons for my 4 star review:
1. Great Staff - just like all the reviews before me I had a wonderful check in, pleasant hallway interactions and a nice tour booking experience with the concierge.
2. Great Room - our standard king was very spacious, especially in a city where space is at a premium. It was also very nice, clean and comfortable. The used generated photos here look a bit shabby to me, but in person the room was really nice.
3. Fabulous Bed - the king bed was so comfortable, as were the pillows and linens we didn't want to get out of bed and see the city!
4. Price! The deal we got on the room made it under $200/night which seemed like a tall order in Chicago overall and for the area especially. Once we experienced the hotel we know the deal was a steal!
5. Location - tons to eat and sites to see within a short walk. Coffee shop across street, nice supermarket around the corner and two of the kings of Chicago pizza very close by. Also easy 15-25 mins walk to the river and loop, we never took a cab and felt like we got to see a lot of the city.

So, 5 great points, why only 4 stars?
- 1 star for:
1. Hotel bar LITTLE MARKET's bar staff. As this is the hotel bar, even though through a door so may not really be in hotel, drinks were really good, but the bar tenders were jerks. And 1night charged us $13 for a drink and the next $18. I probably would have brought it up and tried to get the bill reduced, but just didn't have any fight in me at the end of a long day of nice sight seeing. I assumed the quality of service in the hotel would have extended to the bar staff, but was wrong.
2. Upon departure the bell staff, person at the front desk and the valet could not confirm if the taxi fare to the airport was a flat rate or a metered charge and if it was flat what the price would be. That seems like a key part of the hotel's service to guests helping them leave and we surely can't be the only people from out of town. I negotiated a flat rate with the cab driver for $45 including tip, but not sure if I over paid or not. I'd like to have had the valet, bellman or front desk person tell me with confidence what's a fare price and how they charge.

So, I deducted a .5 star for each offense, but would stay there again, so don't avoid the hotel, just be prepared for late night attitude at the bar and do your research before you head to the airport.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Torrance, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I've just returned from a three night stay at the Talbott Hotel, and it was a wonderful experience from start to finish. The room was ample and nicely decorated, but it was the staff and service that really made my stay special. Dwayne, who always had an easy smile and kind word, was especially helpful and attentive, suggesting that I take a sweater on a breezy day and checking the taxi seat for personal items when I stepped out. The front desk staff was very courteous, and the housekeeper on Floor 2 was happy to get me whatever I needed and made me feel quite at home. The Talbott is the lovely boutique hotel that I hoped it would be. I will be back.

Room Tip: To avoid street noise, ask for a higher floor. Our room on the second floor was very quiet since th...
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had a one night stopover in Chicago and stayed at the Talbot. The hotel is old but very charming, clean, well maintained and excellent service. Location is not in the center of "tourist" area but excellent for business travel.

Room Tip: The quality of the bed is perfect for excellent nights sleep after a long day. The amenities in the...
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely suite. Near shopping, dinning and 2 blocks from Lake Michigan.

Small neighborhood markets with fresh fruits, wine and cheese. Feels quite Parisian.

Hotel staff is very helpful and attentive without intrusion.

Absolutely will stay here my next visit to Chicago.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Corkyboy52
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The check in was great, the room was large, the bathroom spotless -- and HUGE!! The bed was terrific and the value was an unexpected surprise. Even the concierge was terrific in assisting me in planning some leisure activities. The Talbott is my new Chicago home!!!

2 Thank Steven J