“Charming service in a beautiful city”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
St Ives, United Kingdom
“Charming service in a beautiful city”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here for nine nights in July 2014 as part of two months' travelling in the USA. It has to be the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Great location. I walked happily to most places I wanted to visit, feeling safe even at night. Good public transport took me further out of the city. You really don't need a car here.

My room (at the back) was quiet and extremely comfortable. Everything worked. The service was up to old world standards for the serious traveller - no do-it-yourself technology here; while the internet, television and office technology were bang up-to-date. My plaudits to all the staff - who seemed to enjoy working here - and especially to the concierge who ensured I missed nothing I would enjoy. I left here to go camping in the deserts of Utah and Arizona, well-prepared and rested before the trek. I wish I could have found somewhere as perfect to recover afterwards.

I arranged the stay at a bargain price at the last minute, and felt guilty that I had paid so little for so much.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Talbott. The Hotel is charming and the room very well appointed down to the Molton Brown lotions and soaps which were yummy. Everyone was helpful and friendly. The location is perfect for strolling the tree lined streets and looking at Chicago's architecture. I hated to leave. This will be my go to place whenever I am in Chicago.
My only suggestion would be more plugs near the bed for charging devices.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed a full week in Chicago and couldn't have been more happy staying at The Talbott. Our deluxe king suite on the 14th floor was very well appointed; we particularly liked the large flat panel T.V. which included a fully operational Mac computer; this gave us access to anything we wanted on the internet, even our Netflix account! The furniture was a bit dated but the king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had two sinks with a shaving mirror which my husband really liked! The staff at the front desk and elsewhere were just so friendly and helpful. We didn't eat at the adjoining restaurant but did have some drinks there; the rates were typical Chicago downtown rates...quite expensive. We enjoyed breakfast at the newly opened "Le Pain Quotidien" just down the street at the corner of State Street or at the Tempo restaurant just over on the next street on Chestnut. What we enjoyed the most about the Talbot is its location being so central to everything. Close to the magnificent mile, Oak Street Beach and then to the Red "EL" line and buses which can lead you to the Chicago River south or to Wriggly Stadium north...

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms higher than the 10th floor and at the back of the hotel are quieter. Corner suites are larger...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2014

What a comfortable hotel! Quiet, well appointed rooms. The bathroom had good lighting, plush and numerous towels (Frette) and thoughtful touchs such as adequate and convenient towel racks. Other amenities were in room safe, ample hangers, room fridge and coffee maker, and fragrant Moulton Brown toiletries.
Bedroom linens and pillows were cushy,bedroom was situated for maximum quiet and had room darkening curtains.
The staff was friendly and offered useful information. Restaurants, transportation, and attractions were within walking distance.
We ate at the hotel restaurant , El Mercadito. The seafood dishes were tasty, especially the smoked fish appetizer. The staff here was also very good.
Try this location when in Chicago!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was there Monday-Thursday for business. The staff is SO incredibly friendly! Dwayne out front made the while experience that much better. He remembered my name, greeted me every time I saw him. Was the greatest at giving advise on where to shop and eat and find the nearest pharmacy. Dwayne was the best part of our stay!

• Stayed July 2014
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We wanted to stay in Chicago to use up some gift certificates my husband and I had been holding on to for almost a year. Finding a reasonably priced hotel in the summer can be hard. But, traveling on a Sunday made it much easier. The Talbott hotel is very nice, and has its own style-something that would be hard to find in a chain hotel. The rooms are spacious enough (for Chicago) and the bathroom is nicely appointed. Loved the towels!
This is an old style hotel-concierge, call up to room service for ice-but it gave it a classic touch.
The Apple mini-macs are a great idea (you can tailor your viewing to your schedule, and sign into your own Netflix/Amazon Prime accounts), but they take some time figuring out, and our keyboard didn't work. From other reviews, I'm thinking this isn't an uncommon occurrence.
Give Talbott a try if you can splurge-or travel during the week.

Room Tip: If you really don't like noise-get a room on a higher-level floor. But, there is really no view...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ciudad De México, México
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to Chicago for the first time ever and we really fall in love with the city thank's to the great staff they have! Their concierge Roana help us with great dinner suggestions and reservations (like @ The Metropolitan Club, the purple pig, MJ Steak House), book us a trip to the pier to watch the fireworks (it's a must go!) and even help us to rent a minivan which was not easy to get since it was a really busy weekend!

The hotel is right on the best part of town, wonderfully decorated, really cozy and clean! The beds are so great that you even don't want to get up... And their restaurant Mercadito is really delicious! You have to try their granola and their lobster sandwich!

Definitely would go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family