“One night stay”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed here beginning of December as a platinum member. The check in line was very long as only two people were at check in, one was for Starwood preferred guest-we waited 15 minutes. I finally asked about it and 4 more ppl came out. It was nice the listened but where were they while the line was so long. Our hotel room,w e paid extra for a nicer room and it was awful! Run down, bathroom like an old holiday inn, and it was so loud. We thought we were sharing a room with the people next to us. I called security three times, by 1:30am I was so annoyed. I felt like if I just blew out a deep breath the walls would fall in.

Room Tip: Maybe make sure your room is not a connecting room and do not pay extra for a nicer room...not worth...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Hi Tmaiden,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for the disappointments you've faced while with us, and we have already followed up with our front desk staff to pay closer attention to staffing on busy days. We also apologize for the noisy room you had and if you return we will do all that we can to ensure that you have a much more relaxing visit.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Just completed a business stay at the Westin Michigan Ave. The location was great and easy to get to shops and restaurants. The room was comfortable and the bed was very nice. The issue is with housekeeping. Checked in on a Saturday to fine sticky dirty spots on the tile in the entry way upon check in and a bag of someone's food on the window sill. Housekeeping on Sunday still did not mop, so Monday morning this problem was mentioned to the front desk and they made notes and said it would be taken care of. Monday night the spots were still there, and getting more dirty. checked out Wednesday and left the dirty sticky spots in the entry way for the next customer. Very disappointed that this was never taken care of even after speaking to the front desk. I did not call on Monday night because I was working in the room and did not want to be disturbed by housekeeping and by Tuesday I knew I was leaving so just dropped it. I would stay there again, but disappointed by the service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hi Skachel,

Thank you for the helpful feedback on your recent experience. We apologize that your room was not cleaned properly in the first place and especially that it was not cleaned after your reported it. We have followed up with the housekeeping director to ensure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I just returned from a three night stay at the Westin. A lot of reviews comment on the great location of this hotel. That is certainly true, but is just one of the benefits of this hotel. I had a few unplanned requests for some meetings we were organizing within the hotel, and the staff were always accommodating.

As you would expect with the Westin, the decor was clean, simple, and inviting. There is a great lobby, and the rooms are clean and spacious.

At nearly $70 per night, parking at the hotel is not cheap. There are some more reasonable garages within a couple of blocks you should consider if driving.

I had a room on the 20th floor and had a great view of Lake Michigan.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TwoWas
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hi TwoWas,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience and for pointing out our other excellent features besides our location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I typically don't take the time to write reviews, which is something I'm trying to change because I definitely use them when deciding on things like hotels, this time however is must because the service at the Westin was exceptional. To be more specific the service offered by Romeo at the front desk. We arrived late, about 2 in the morning, and Romeo went above and beyond to make sure our stay started and ended fantastically. First, he found us a room with a perfect view looking down on to Michigan Avenue, he recommended a great place to eat (even at that hour of the morning), provided directions for the next day and hints on the best shopping. He was so great and we were having such a great time, we decided to stay an extra day.

Since I'm here I guess I will point out that the concierge was a pompous jerk, but even that didn't take away from the weekend or the great service that Romeo provided. We decided at that to not deal with anyone but Romeo. Thanks...we will be back.

Room Tip: Beware of parking - $67 per night. The good thing is you don't have to drive much.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k m
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Hi K M,

Thank you for recognizing Romeo for his excellent guest service! We are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit because of him, and we have shared your review with him already. We apologize that you did not feel the same of our concierge, and we will communicate this feedback to them as well. Overall, we are glad you had a wonderful time and we hope to see you back.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel truly exceeds the high standards that are set for Westin hotels. That is quite impressive! The rooms are very nice with a traditional décor. Those beds are so comfortable. The service that I received from the staff was excellent. The location is excellent, convenient to "Mile" and the surrounding business areas. I will be looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Samuel K,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our location, rooms, and associates. We can't wait to welcome you back next time!

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here 4 times for work. The location is great but this hotel does not seem to keep up witH Westin standards. Staff is rude and I waited for 15 minutes to check my bags since my room wasn't ready when I got there. The hallways are dingy, bare and uninviting. Furniture in the rooms looks outdated and worn. Each time I stay I think it will be better, but it never is.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hi Debra F,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We apologize for the disappointing experiences you've had with us and we are taking your feedback into careful consideration for future improvements.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I am an SPG Platinum member and frequent Starwoods properties all over the United States. When it comes customer service, the staff at the Michigan Avenue property is second to none. There might be less expensive or newer glitzier hotels in the Michigan Avenue area, however, when it comes to total value, the Michigan Avenue property is an excellent choice for either business or family. From valet parking, bell service, Leonard at the front desk, room service, concierge,The Grill, Revenue Mgr, etc., the staff at Michigan Avenue does their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction. Be aware at check-in for Starwoods Gold and Platinum as it is a bit confusing since you essentially share the lane with non-SPG members who tend to get impatient with those that appear to be cutting in line and most front desk attendants do not pay that much attention. My most recent stay at Michigan Avenue was with my family and my daughter with two children calls it her, "home away from home".

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Michigan Avenue.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Hi John R,

Thank you for the very kind comments. We are delighted that you continue to choose us as your Chicago 'home' and that your family feels so comfortable here. We have passed along your review to Leonard, and he was very appreciative of you mentioning his great customer service. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.