“Great hotel, great location”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #64 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 December 2013

You can't beat the price at this Westin. Located on Michigan Avenue, this is a nice clean property with great Westin service at a very affordable price. Very convenient to loads of shopping, I highly recommend this hotel for visitors to this great city.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hi Chgojohn,

Thank you for the lovely feedback! We are delighted that you have felt at home with us and that you enjoyed our location. We hope to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable visit.

Be well,
Kristin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,671)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here because I was attending an event at someones condo in the Hancock and this hotel is literally across the street. The night before the event I stayed at the Omni hotel down the street because I had a photoshoot and I knew I'd be too tired to drive home. I booked the Omni on Priceline.com and got a great deal on it. I've had bad experiences in the past with hotels and priceline bookings. The Omni EXCEEDED my expectations, lived up to the 4 star rating and was an absolutely amazing experience (The restaurant 676 was the BEST part of the stay, best food I've ever had while staying at a hotel.... and actually in GENERAL).

While I was at the Omni I tried calling the Westin to see if I'd be able to checkin early so I wouldn't have a huge gap in between checkout and checkin. First, it took 4 calls to the Westin (No one was picking up at the front desk. I would call, the operator would pick up, i"d ask for the front desk and it would just ring and ring and ring.) Finally I got through and the person told me they couldn't allow early checkin. Later on when we were actually trying to checkin the line was super long and it was busy. No one was particularly friendly at the front desk. The room itself was dark and dingey and the view was blah. (Looked out onto a rooftop). The window had ZERO insulation so the freezing cold came thru like crazy.

I was not impressed with service, the room or anything. The only thing I was happy about was the proximity to the Hancock.

Oh and the valet cost.... the worst I had seen so far. $67 a night for valet. Give me a break.
So after going thru the multiple calls, the hohum checkin, the astronomical valet and the eh freezing room I tried to order room service while I was getting ready for the event I was attending. It literally.... LITERALLY took 6 calls before someone answered. I don't know if this is a normal thing for this hotel, but NO ONE ever seems to answer any of the phones. I called the room service line 4 times, then the front desk, then room service again. No one answered. I was about to give up when I tried one last time and finally someone answered. How freaking ridiculous. And the food was just blah. Nothing to write home about. The Omni's room service blew the Westins out of the water!!!

The Westin could learn a thing or two from the Omni for sure (since they're both 4 star hotels). Starting with better service. It shouldn't take so many calls to get ahold of someone!

The ONLY reason I'd ever entertain the thought of staying here again is if I had to attend another event at the Hancock, and even then I think I'd rather stay at the Omni and take a cab to the Hancock.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Hi Subarufriend,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that you were disappointed with the level of service at our hotel, and we have already followed up with the departments involved. We assure you that this is not a typical experience at the Westin Michigan Avenue. Thank you for helping us improve.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had a very nice room with an incredible view looking at all the Christmas lights down Michigan Avenue. That alone made this stay extra special. This is a great location very close to shopping and dining. The hotel staff was very nice. The room was clean. The beds and bedding was very comfortable. And The Grill restaurant was very good. Thank you Jackie for making my birthday stay very memorable!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Michigan Avenue.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi DSWChicago,

We are delighted to see that Jackie had helped make your stay memorable and that you enjoyed so many of our hotel features. Thank you for sharing your birthday experience. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We love this hotel! Right in the heart of a great part of Chicago, with easy walking access to shopping and culture. Our anniversary stay at the end of November was made more lovely, because of special touches a front desk staff member did for us. The restaurant The Grill is wonderful, and it is so nice to know that you don't have to leave the hotel to get a great meal- as is so often the case. Stay at this hotel every time we visit Chicago, and it never disappoints us. Friendly staff all round, including doormen and housekeepers. Fabulous for romantic visits, or mother and daughter shopping trips.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors, facing the gold coast drive along Lake Michigan, are especially lovely- espe...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi LindaLM,

Thank you for sharing your anniversary story with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed the special touches and that you continue to choose us as your Chicago home. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is our favorite hotel to stay at in Chicago. We are there 2-3 times a year. Staff is always friendly, Restaurant is excellent, especially for breakfast. Bar has a great atmosphere. Location is right where you want to be.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lawrence L

Hi Lawrence L,

Thank you for the delightful feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our associates, location, and overall atmosphere. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I just stayed at the Westin last week. A great location, the room was very quiet, the bed was super comfortable, and the staff were wonderful. The restaurant was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I ate in the bar two nights.The food was fabulous and the staff were just amazing!

Thank you Westin for a wonderful experience in Chicago! Dr. Connie Kracher

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hi Kracher46815,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you have decided to share your story and that you enjoyed our food and associates. We look forward to having you back!

Be well and happy holidays,

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is my favorite place to stay in Chicago. My last visit was an overnight for business on December 5-6. The desk staff, as always, was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. My room was comfortable and I had a great view of the Michigan Avenue Christmas lights. The bar is always lively with sports on TV. But, the best feature is the location. Right on North Michigan Avenue with all of the shopping and restaurants nearby. You can go back and forth to your room whenever needed. I highly recommend the Westin Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Hi Mark M,

Thank you for the amazing comments! We are delighted to be your hotel of choice in Chicago, and we look forward to continuing to be that home away from home for you. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you soon.

Be well,