“Old school”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel is located in the middle of the heart of Chicago downtown, great location. Hotel needs a refurbishment, rooms and meeting rooms are in much worse condition than expected from a hotel like Westin.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank MYSTERIOUSXL
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hi MYSTERIOUSXL,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We appreciate your comment on our location, and we will definitely take your comments on our room conditions into consideration for future changes. We are currently trying to begin renovations soon, so we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

How wonderful to walk in and be recognized immediately! Daniel at the front desk is the sweetest gentleman and made my Christmas by his welcoming greeting, snacks and presents for the children. How he remembered my son is here for medical reasons and that this isn't a vacation.

Phyllis Washington spoiled us with her choice of room for us and made the whole process easy for me. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to visit with her this time. Phyllis is a classy lady and exudes professional qualities like I've never seen. With the stresses in my life, Phyllis combats them.

Ana in the cafe touched my heart. This kind loving lady surprised me with gifts and a lovely card. She didn't have to do this, but she knew my son had a transplant and showed us love. I cried from the love she gave us.

Then there are my buddies in service express... Sheila and DeDe! These two ladies run a tight ship and make sure the guest is taken care of regardless of what they have to do. Plus, the follow up phone calls to make sure we were accommodated was nice because it showed how much it mattered to them. Sheila had beautiful words of encouragement with her spiritual gift for my little boy. She felt like a sister in all honesty. Then there's DeDe with her surprise delivery for my family. She sent us snacks, cheese, fruit and a Christmas bag with toys for the children. She gave us Christmas all over again and the excitement for my children was magical???xoxoxo

Last but not least, we are eagerly waiting to see our grind Debbie Kelly-Stachion. She was gone for the Christmas holiday and returns Thursday. We cannot wait to hug her and spend time visiting because we miss her so much. She touched my heart by donating to the Children's hospital in my son's behalf.

Room Tip: This hotel offers room with historical touches. Views that are absolutely lovely and beds to hiberna...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear pinnipeds1,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are delighted that you feel so special and that our associates have personally touched you and your son. We have already shared your comments with the specific associates you have mentioned and they are thrilled. We appreciate you sharing your story, and we wish you a happy and healthy new year.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I am not complaining, I am offering a couple of suggestions that might improve my experience next time.
Firstly, why can't I speed up my check in experience at the Westin instead of cueing up like cattle being loaded into a truck. May I suggest a simple check in online say 24 hours before where I provide credit card details and get a check in number which I give at an express counter when I arrive.
Secondly, our room had two regular double beds and there was not room for us to sleep together, so we slept in separate beds when one king size bed would have given us adequate room to sleep together and made the room a little bit more spacious.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Westin.

• Stayed: November 2013

Hi icegolf,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall experience, and we appreciate your input as to how we can speed up our check in. We do have an express check in line for SPG members, but we unfortunately cannot pre-check in people due to credit card security and identification verification. We apologize for the wait you experienced, and we will try to staff more properly on busy days like that. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here on December 28-29th. Check in time was at 3 pm, however no rooms were available. As of April 1, 2013, SPG changed their checkout time to 3 pm. There isn't enough time for housekeeping to turn over the rooms. There were several, 50 or more, angry guests in the lobby also constantly asking and checking in with the front desk about their rooms. Two and a half hours later after I repeatedly inquired about our room was when we were finally assigned a room, however not the room we booked. We had 4 people on our reservation, they gave us a king size bed, next to the elevator, in a room the size of a closet (room 1515) and offered us a rollaway in addition to the king bed. Because we booked our room through American Airlines vacations, they could not guarantee our required room. That is what the front desk manager said and that I would need to contact AA about it. To say the least, the hotel staff I dealt with was less than helpful. I have written letters to the general manager, front desk manager, American Airlines Vacations as well as the CEO. During the busiest travel season there should be limitations on who can check out as late as 3pm, leaving many people with no available rooms at check in. To say that our hotel portion of the trip was disastrous would be a good explanation.

Hello QualitybutFrugal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful feedback. We sincerely apologize for the long wait you experienced with us recently. We have taken your feedback into consideration for future busy weekends, and we will be trying some new strategies to eliminate wait time.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Westin on Michigan Avenue is in the perfect location. The service we received was very good and representative of the high expectations of the Westin brand. However, the room condition was poor and only worth the price for the amazing view of Michigan Ave and the Hancock Center Christmas Tree. Our "Heavenly Bed" was hard as were the pillows. The room was small, hot and we couldn't regulate the temperature. The "heavenly bath" was fine, but not special.

Overall, I love the service at Westin, but this one needs updating and a return to the promise of the "heavenly" features. The service keeps me coming back, but hope for an update.

Room Tip: Ask for a Michigan Ave view. It's beautiful.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great Hotel Location, easy walking around the city for shopping. Nice Lobby. However I feel many other properties in the city have more amenities to offer. Great recommendations on late night dining. Rooms could use an update, but the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Hi Supertier,

Thank you for the helpful feedback on our hotel. We appreciate your input and are glad that you had an overall nice time. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Krisitn

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Came in for after Christmas shopping trip for my Family. Reserved room on 3rd party site, and got exactly what I asked for. ( Room with a Michigan Ave view) At check in Carli made sure we recieved what we paid for. Many people using these 3rd party sites don't realize the hotel they are booking through is not obligated to give them a specific type of room, once thier "block" of rooms have been filled. Carli was excellent along with all the other hotel staff we encountered while on the property. Could these rooms require a minor updating? Sure, but I will be staying here again on our next Chicago trip.

Room Tip: Michigan Avenue view looking South.
1  Thank Doug C

Hi Doug C,

Thank you for sharing your great experience. We appreciate you mentioning how helpful Carli was in particular and we look forward to having you back in the future.