“Great location downtown”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Midwest Illinois
“Great location downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this property is excellent - downtown on Michigan Ave, next to shopping, right across the street from the Hancock building, and close to great restaurants. The rooms are excellent and typical Westin rooms. My only complaint is that the bathroom in my room was super narrow.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi l0vebug,

Thank you for the delightful comments! We appreciate the notes on our location and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kristin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Korean first
Tequesta, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Westin hotels many times and have never been as disappointed as I am in this one. Wow. First, it's not difficult to please me. I expect what I pay for and understand that sometimes you get a great room and sometimes not so great...the ball bounces. Check in took forever, and I was given a tiny room on the 4th floor with a flat concrete roof view. No big deal, shut the shades. TV didn't work. Reported it and maintenance came and replaced it. That night I was so hot trying to sleep; cranked the air down and there was only hot air coming out. Barely slept. I reported the air issue to the front desk the next morning on my way to the morning conference session. Stopped by my room midday and found a nice note saying the problem was fixed. Went to my afternoon conference session on the 3rd floor and the room was freezing...couldn't have been 60 degrees...most people left the session due to the temp. At the last afternoon session on the 2nd floor, the room was so hot everyone was fanning themselves. Came back to my room in the early evening after my meetings and it was still hot even though the thermostat was set at 62. I broke a sweat just changing clothes for dinner. Reported it to the front desk again and asked them to either fix it or move me to another room; it was too hot to sleep and I couldn't lose another night of sleep on a business trip. No one contacted me and I came back to my room this evening to find a fan sitting in the middle of the floor, no note, no call. I was waiting in the hotel bar.

The Westin had a negative impact on our conference and on me as a traveler with seemingly no concern. I hope to bring this to the attention of mgmt in the am but suspect there will be a long check out line and I will be unable to do so, in which case I will follow up.

Westin Inc would be ashamed. Though the location of this hotel was great in downtown Chicago, I would never stay here again nor encourage anyone else to do so. The conference should have been amazing and was only good due to this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank annabelle4090
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hi annabelle4090,

Thank you for the very helpful information. We do apologize for the temperature issues you've experienced. We have followed up with engineering and unfortunately, our building's chillers were turned off for conservation purposes. We're sorry that this was not explained earlier and that the issue was not properly resolved. We are working with our team to ensure that this issue does not reoccur.

Kirkland, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

The room (#2735): large, old but renovated, sparsely decorated, dirty (see attached photos), nice view to Lake Michigan

The hotel: situated right on Michigan Avenue in an upscale and convenient part of town; across the street from John Hancock Tower, near shopping

The experience: in a word, unacceptable. Started with a friendly greeting from Claudio who provided an upgraded room with a view to Lake Michigan. I’d arrived late with business meetings scheduled for the next morning, so when I saw the filthy state of the duvet cover and toilet (see photos), I had to wait for housekeeping to strip the bed and clean the toilet before ordering room service for a quick bite to eat. It’s tough to go wrong with tomato soup and a salad, but it was lacking flavor. Then discovered the sorry state of the dirty desk chair and stains on the carpet. When these issues were reported, Claudio sent a personalized note and provided some SPG points—his individual follow-up and sincerity were the positive exception to this stay. The concierge seemed to be absent most of the time and the one time I asked a question, she was far from friendly. My last day ended by having someone tell me I couldn’t have a late checkout and provided false information—I asked her if it was a new policy for SPG members and she was rather rude and said no. It didn’t sound correct, so I double-checked online and called the front desk again. This time, the person apologized and even granted me an extra buffer of time to align with my departure to the airport. All in all, not the standard I would expect at a Westin property—especially in a metropolitan area.

Room Tip: Potential for views of Hancock Tower or Lake Michigan from higher floors
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi kirklandkat,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We apologize for the disappointing aspects of cleanliness during your stay, and we have since followed up with housekeeping to make improvements. We appreciate the input.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Great location and service. Rooms are a bit dated, but very clean. Beds are comfortable and shower was great! The only negative would be the $67 for valet, not really the hotels fault alter all this is Chicago! Overall great stay.

• Stayed March 2014
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Hi Renac1124,

Thank you for the great feedback. We appreciate your helpful input on our condition of the rooms and the parking cost. If you do return, we do offer parking packages on our website that include the room rate and parking at a discount. We are also scheduled to start room renovations in December 2014, so we hope to welcome you back to a refreshed hotel!

Thanks and be well,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel many times and i recommend it for everybody. the hotel is clean, the staff are polite and the location is amazing. if you compare all the features with the price you will find this is a winner choice. Don't hesitate to book you next trip in Westin Michigan Avenue

Room Tip: Choose the room that has City View it is wonderful view especially at night time.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Hi alialsadiq,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed there for business and it was great. Even the restaurant tied to hotel was terrific! The beds and pillows were cozy. Room service was spot in. The rooms were quiet and restful.
I loved the location because it is close to shopping and other good restaurants. I wish I had taken advantage if the spa!

• Stayed March 2014
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi momworldtraveller,

Thank you for the great feedback! We really appreciate your recognition of our cozy rooms and location. We hope to welcome you back soon, and maybe this time for a relaxing spa visit!

Manhattan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

If you are interested in visiting Chicago and staying in the center of North Michigan Ave., the location of this cannot be beaten. The staff is friendly and helpful. I was immediately given a room when I arrived at 10:00 am. This was most appreciated since I had a very early morning flight. The Starbucks in the lobby is convenient in the morning.

On the negative side, the rooms are mediocrely furnished. The hallways are not attractive. The service doors are left open all day and night. My room was dark and characterless. The bathroom was basic as would be in a Holiday Inn.

All in all, my visit was not a bad experience in any way, just not very memorable. There are other better hotels in Chicago for the same price.

But the location is excellent...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor if you want some light
Green Features: I think these practices are in place to save cost rather than genuine commitment to the green cause.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hello InTheMomentManhattan,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We appreciate the positive notes on our location and associates, and we will take into consideration the issues your have listed. We are actually scheduled to renovate our rooms starting December 2014. Your input is very important to us.