“Warm welcome and elegant surroundings”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Warm welcome and elegant surroundings”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I arrived early and was prepared to drop by bags and go for a walk. Alex gave me a wonderfully warm welcome and early check-in as a Starwood Preferred Guest. I've checked into many upscale business hotels where it's not that personal, and I really appreciated how considerate Alex was about checking me in and making me comfortable. Beautiful room overlooking the Water Tower.

This is an amazing location. One block to views of Lake Michigan. Shopping all over the place on Michigan Avenue, then just walk around the corner to Rush Street for dinner at Hugo's or Morton's. At the hotel, it's easy to grab a coffee and roll at their breakfast shop. I would definitely return to this hotel over some of the others I've stayed at on Michigan Avenue.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hi fruitandnuts,

Thank you for the great comments about your experience and Alex's kindness! We are delighted that you felt welcome from the start and that you had a pleasant stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kristin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights in early June at this hotel for a conference. The accommodations were acceptable. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. View was decent. My only real negative, and this is being critical, was that the ceiling in the bathroom was beginning to look like it was going to fall in due to water damage. Other than that, an ok hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hi Lynnette M,

Thank you for the great feedback. We are delighted that you had a pleasant time with us during your conference. We apologize for the bathroom ceiling, and we would love to follow up with you to get the details of your reservation. Please keep an eye out for a private message.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The man at the front desk who checked me in, Alex, graciously upgraded my room simply because I am a Starwood preferred guest. I don't know that the upgraded room was necessarily nicer (he assured me it was larger), but it also came with free Wi-Fi. Regardless, the brief interaction with him made me feel special, well cared for, and appreciated. Alex kicked off my stay at the Westin in a very positive way. Also, your lobby smells like Heaven. I don't know what it is, but it is totally working for you.
This first impression is enough to earn my loyalty for future stays in Chicago. Thank you and you will be seeing me again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Emily B
Hi Emily B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience. We appreciate your mention of Alex, and we have celebrated his great service with our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I have stayed here twice. You can't beat the location on Michigan Avenue. It was very clean, nice big bathroom, and comfortable beds. I would stay again without hesitation. Excellent staff as well.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi staci1973,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize us! We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself the two times you have stayed with us, and we can't wait to welcome you back in the future.

West Branch, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Love, Love, Love the location!! This is the third time I have stayed at the Westin On Michigan Avenue and have NEVER been disappointed. RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Hancock Building, so an evening visit is a MUST! The view is outstanding, a great place to watch Navy Pier Fireworks. Cheesecake Factory at your doorstep "need I say more". Shopping right out the front door on Michigan Avenue, close enough to take packages to room between stores. Walking distance to Lincoln Park Zoo, Navy Pier, and Millennium and Grant Parks. Short walk to the river to catch a water taxi to many other sights.
This stay we were in room 2136 and was spacious enough for roll-a-way and additional guests or visitors. Always clean, comfortable and inviting! No reason I wouldn't ever return!

Room Tip: There are rooms that look down Michigan Avenue which are great for people watching and rooms that fa...
Green Features: Opted out of daily room cleaning and never bothered us a bit. I'm use to making the bed daily and we only had to ask for additional washcloths, rooms come pretty well stocked.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deborah B
Hi Deborah B!

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are so thankful that you took the time to share your three great experiences, and we love that you enjoy our location so much. We all look forward to your next visit.

North Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Went to the westin as kind of a mid-week mini-vacation. Is sits rught next door to the Hancock building and is central to shopping, restaurants and Lake Michigan. Went to the Cubs/Yankees game. Just a few block walk from the hotel to the subway station. Takes you right to Wrigley in about 15 minutes. Less than 1 block to the main entrance to the park.

Back to the Westin - Besides its great location, the rooms are well kept up and comfortable. If you upgrade to a lake view room, that's nice. We had a beutiful day but at night we got to watch a thunderstorm over the lake. Lots of lightning against a dark sky. Prices were reasonable considering the location and the class of hotel.

Room Tip: You can upgrade to a lake view or city skyline room. Other rooms just look at the walls of building...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi Mat K,

Thank you for sharing your great story! We love that you chose to visit us during the Cubs/Yankees game. We appreicate you noting our location and clean rooms, and we can't wait ot have the chance to welcome you back.

Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is the only place that I stay when I come to Chicago. The bed is truly heavenly, not a typical hotel bed. It's so fabulous I am spoiled and won't stay anywhere else.The location is perfect, and the staff are always welcoming....I have been to Chicago many times and stayed at several hotels, after staying at the Westin Michigan Avenue, I won't stay anywhere else....

Room Tip: If you can get a corner premier room, it's the best. Room is huge with a panoramic view!
Green Features: They are vey green. Hotel has a pleasant white tea aroma and is makes you aware of their care of the environment.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi sherry o,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us! We sincerely enjoy and appreciate your visits and we are so glad that our Heavenly beds leave you feeling at your best. We look forward to your return!