“A great place for business stay or weekend on the town”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“A great place for business stay or weekend on the town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I return to this hotel once a year.i always feel welcome. Lisa, the concierge, is outstanding. She is knowledgable and caring. Every member of the team has a smile. The lobby has a welcoming aromatherapy scent, which instantly relaxes you. I would highly recommend this location for a stay in Chicago, both for the terrific employees as well as location. I will return again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Sheri D,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful note and your kind words with us. It brings me great joy to hear that Lisa was able to leave such a positive lasting impression on you while you were here.

I'm glad that you found Westin's White Tea scent to be relaxing, and that it helped you truly unwind during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Chicago!

Bryan W.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We recently spent two nights in a GREAT suite at this hotel, and really enjoyed the experience! The suite was reasonably priced ($500 per night) for the space it included, and it was perfect for a group stay where we all gathered in the suite before activities. Plus, the view was unreal, and everything is easy to get to (a plus in the middle of winter). Some cool amenities like the in-room iPad and lovely extra seating made everything perfect!

We loved the staff, as well, especially the front desk woman who was super sweet and helpful. She even remembered my fiance when he called with a billing question a week later.

The only bad news: we were promised that the couch was a pull-out, and it wasn't.

Room Tip: Get a river view room - it is well worth it for the sunsets. And, our corner suite was super quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Melissa_G84,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note with us! I'm delighted to hear that you and your guests had such a renewing visit. We certainly pride ourselves on our service and it's great to hear that one of our front desk associates was able to really showcase that to you.

I'm sorry to hear about the billing issue and lack of a pull-out couch; however I hope we were able to provide a Heavenly rollaway to you. Lastly, if your billing issue had not been resolved please feel free to reach out to me and I would be happy to assist you with it.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We just returned from a Valentine's weekend stay at this Westin slightly north of the river in downtown Chicago. We loved the location -- we walked to the hotel just a couple of blocks from the L stop.

The staff from the front desk to the bellman to the lounge attendant were are friendly and helpful.
Our room was very comfortable. The hotel well-maintained but is very much of the 80s era with black marble in the bathrooms.

We loved the location: across the street is Bin 36, our favorite wine bar. We had incredible thin-crust mushroom pizza with truffle oil at the Sienna Tavern just down the street. Both State Street and Michigan Ave shopping are within close walking distance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello TravelingWithTheJone,

I'm delighted to hear that your stay with us was so refreshing! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm so happy that you were able to take some time and unwind while you were here.

We look forward to seeing you again for your next Chicago escape!

Mendham, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed for three days and although the location was good, the service was not and the staff and management were extremely rude and unfriendly. The rooms need updating and renovation. Were tired compared to rest of hotel and the club lounge which was freshly updated. Restaurants are pricey and the food was so so. Not worth the expense We are SPG members and frequently stay at Westin Hotels which are usually great but next time, we'll pass on this one. Too many other nice hotels in Chicago. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't pay up for a river view room because there's really no great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah82060
Hello Sarah82060,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent experience. I'm disappointed to hear that your stay was not enjoyable and not up to your expectations of the Westin brand.

If you have a free moment I'd love to speak with you further regarding specific instances where you interacted with both management and associates as well as to obtain your room number and any other specific feedback you have so that we may work to correct these issues.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clean and in a great location. I wouldn't eat or drink at the hotel there again. We ordered 3 drinks (vodka sodas) and watched him pour Smirnoff. Our bill was over $40.00! Pretty over priced for a rail vodka. Also the second we walked into our room our toilet wouldn't flush. They sent someone up a few minutes later, and took him 30 mins to fix and we were in a huge hurry to leave. Will probably try somewhere else next time. I've stayed at much nicer Westin's before.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Hello ndbrit06,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm truly sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent visit, and that you do not plan to return. It is my sincerest hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back and show you that this is certainly not the norm here at The Westin Chicago River North. We pride ourselves on our service, property, and brand, and it saddens me to see that we were unable to showcase that to you.

If you do happen to choose to visit us again please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure your complete satisfaction with your upcoming stay, and ensure you experience the Westin brand, and The Westin Chicago River North the way it's truly meant to be.

St Pete Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel right next to the House of Blues. Tons to see & do. Great restraunts and night life. The staff is very friendly and professional. The room was stylish, modern and very comfortable. Room service was prompt and very tasty, but a bit overpriced. Have already planned my next stay there!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Hello oconnor1129,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note with us. I'm truly delighted to hear that your recent stay was so renewing that you've already booked your next stay with us!

If you have any special requests, or anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable or memorable please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I used to stay at the Westin all the time, but I began to try nearby boutique hotels, and liked them. The freezing weather drove me back to the Westin (which is attached to the building where I work) and I'm glad it did. The service, as always, was stellar. Very responsive to guest needs for everything from a tape dispenser to a late check-out by a sick guest. Service in the restaurant was excellent (the bar service was very variable, but it always has been. They never seem equipped to serve a large number of guests in the lobby bar.)
However, the old Westin shine could use a little polishing. In the room where I stayed there were no electric plugs accessible by the bed (a problem I thought Starwood had addressed long ago.) When I called for an extension cord, the engineer kindly installed it for me so I didn't have to climb under my bed.
Speaking of the bed, the Heavenly Bed experience was missing from this room. The duvet and pillows were old and thin (particularly noticeable given the cold). The mattress seemed flat and not the cloud of comfort I remember. The bathroom was beat up, with a toilet that would not stop running unless you jiggled the handle, and some serious paint chips around the mirror.
The phone rang only in the bathroom, which didn't matter after the initial confusion. But the heat seemed to go off, or down, every time I left the room, requiring me to sit in my coat for an hour while it heated up to a decent temperature.
I wondered if I received a room that hadn't been rehabbed because I booked through a third party? Apparently not, because my business companion booked directly with the hotel and had the same issues.

Room Tip: See if you can get one that's been updated. Also, ask for a room facing the iconic Marina Towers...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank BuffCrone
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hello BuffCrone,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share this valuable feedback. We truly appreciate the notes you've given us regarding the room conditions, and I'm sorry to hear that you experienced them. If you have a free moment and would be able to email me any further feedback as well as your room number I will be sure to have my engineering team look into and resolve the issues you mentioned.

Although you did experience some issues with the room I'm relieved to see that our staff really helped to make this trip enjoyable and that they've done so consistently. You mentioned you've been staying at local boutique hotels and hadn't stayed with us for some time. I hope that we're able to change that trend and to be able to consistently bring you back to stay with us. If you ever have any comments, concerns, or would like someone to look over your reservations in the future please do not hesitate to contact me at bryan.williams@westin.com